PDA

View Full Version : Ruger sr9c Owners.

das
03-24-13, 18:58
I have one on order how do you like yours? Any issues? Pros & cons? All info welcome. Thanks das.

DeviousMind
03-24-13, 19:40
Ended up selling mine and getting S&W MP 9c. Got too many light strikes. Keep it clean for sure and shoot the crap out of it.

מגן ולא יראה
03-24-13, 19:56
Never trust a Ruger automatic handgun. They are notoriously unimpressive. Ruger SR9 does not have any features that should cause it to be on your list of handguns to purchase.
Sorry to hear you already have one ordered. If you can cancel the order and find something more suitable.

Leonidas24
03-24-13, 20:35
I've seen several literally disassemble themselves while firing. Primarily the roll-pin which retained the extractor and another that held the loaded chamber indicator fell out of several users' guns.

DBZ220
03-25-13, 03:27
There are reported issues with slide and barrel peening as well. Ive only seen it on a few .40 models at my local range. Not sure if it applies to 9mm versions.

pdb
03-25-13, 05:35
My cousin has one. It's unreliable and inaccurate. Light strikes and double feeds are common. It won't even chamber a round correctly manually unless you ease the slide home. It also has a number of undesirable "features" that don't belong on a duty pistol.

You will not see any Ruger SR types in the holsters of cops or competitive shooters. That's your free clue.

das
03-25-13, 07:31
Well it looks like I will be putting that deposit on something else. Thanks for the info. das

das
03-25-13, 07:33
It is too bad, I really do like Rugers.

Straight Shooter
03-25-13, 09:13
Personally saw my friend lay his on a table at the range, then pick it up and a pin had fallen out.
HOWEVER, the gun has some positive aspects, but I don't want one.

jmnielsen
03-25-13, 09:26
I'm a ruger fan as well, and while I liked how one felt in my hand I was very unimpressed everywhere else with it. My buddy had one and it is terribly inaccurate. Especially compared to my G19.

zombiescometh
03-25-13, 09:52
The SR9c was the first handgun i bought when i turned 21. Couldn't beat the price. Also at that time i had just got my cpl so i liked the fact that it had a thumb safety and that it came with a 10rd mag and 17 rd mag. Now i only put about 100-200 rds a week through it for around 2 years and i know thats not that much, but i never had any issues with it not feeding or ejecting ammo except some bad white box Winchester or with it coming apart and it was a very accurate gun not that i would use it for competition. Im not saying its better then other guns, but i think its a pretty good gun. Now i use glocks dont quite like the grip as much but i like the fact that it doesn't have a thumb safety and that field stripping is much easier and theres way more parts and accessories. I guess what im saying is if you like a gun and want it then get it. Cause no matter what gun it is theres always going to be people that have had problems with that gun or know people that had problems.

suterwyo
03-25-13, 10:10
The SR9c was the first handgun i bought when i turned 21. Couldn't beat the price. Also at that time i had just got my cpl so i liked the fact that it had a thumb safety and that it came with a 10rd mag and 17 rd mag. Now i only put about 100-200 rds a week through it for around 2 years and i know thats not that much, but i never had any issues with it not feeding or ejecting ammo except some bad white box Winchester or with it coming apart and it was a very accurate gun not that i would use it for competition. Im not saying its better then other guns, but i think its a pretty good gun. Now i use glocks dont quite like the grip as much but i like the fact that it doesn't have a thumb safety and that field stripping is much easier and theres way more parts and accessories. I guess what im saying is if you like a gun and want it then get it. Cause no matter what gun it is theres always going to be people that have had problems with that gun or know people that had problems.

I agree with zombiescometh. It's a good little gun, but obviously not the top of the line. I've had mine for a couple of years now and haven't had any feeding/ejection issues, and I usually use bargain priced ammo. I'm not a high-volume shooter due to lack of funds, but I've shot it enough that I'd trust my life with it. I personally like the gun.

Gary1911A1
03-25-13, 10:15
The trigger on mine was terrible even after the recall. If it was as good as Ruger's 1911 they would have something.

das
03-25-13, 14:52
Thank you for the replies the Ruger is off the list.

MAUSER202
03-25-13, 21:40
If you look at guns as tools it makes a little more sense. You have high performance professional grade like Snap on and DYS grade Husky. Both can do the job but one is clearly better. Most professional techs use Snap on, while the DYSer doesn't. People who use a weapon as a tool in their job tend to rely on the best tools, so you get the preference on this site for Glock, HK, ect. Guns like a Ruger work, but they are just not the ones that a professional relies on.

RBid
03-26-13, 11:00
My experience, and the experiences of many people who have actually owned and operated the SR9c are completely different than what I'm seeing in this thread.

I have had one for awhile, and I use it as my light clothing CCW. It is not OK. It's awesome.

The original release of the SR9 (full size) had a bad trigger. Ruger dramatically improved that with the release of the SR9c, and have put the new trigger in the full size since the compact came out. It has very little take up, and makes it very easy to be accurate. Finger travel is minimal, so rapid fire is stupid easy.

The recoil spring assembly is fantastic, and the pistol has a very low bore. In fact, it has a virtually identical silhouette to the Caracal. Consequently, muzzle rise is virtually nonexistent.

It eats everything, and doesn't just extract cases-- it throws them out with authority.

I've had zero stops in over 2,200 rounds fired, with a lot of cheap stuff through it.

The barrel peening issue is cosmetic, and not as common as people think. Most owners that I know have not experienced it, and I have yet to see any failures associated with it.

Here is an extended review that I did some time ago, with a lot of participation from other posters, and a lot of pictures.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492724

I work for a dealer. I know and interact with a lot of people who own these. 100% positive feedback.

WickedWillis
03-26-13, 11:15
Well it looks like I will be putting that deposit on something else. Thanks for the info. das

Do you have a range nearby that you can go and rent and fire different handguns? If you do, you should really take some cash and do that. Find what is comfortable for you, what you are accurate with and what you like.

pdb
03-26-13, 14:43
I've had zero stops in over 2,200 rounds fired, with a lot of cheap stuff through it.

Go buy a lottery ticket.

RBid
03-26-13, 16:41
pdb,

Based on what I've heard from a lot of other owners, my experience is not uncommon. I suspect that a lottery ticket would be a bad investment. Then again, my 2011 G19 (Gen 4) doesn't sling brass in my face, either.

Clearly, the wisdoms of the Internet prove that I am either lying, or a statistical anomaly.

Leonidas24
03-26-13, 21:22
pdb,

Based on what I've heard from a lot of other owners, my experience is not uncommon. I suspect that a lottery ticket would be a bad investment. Then again, my 2011 G19 (Gen 4) doesn't sling brass in my face, either.

Clearly, the wisdoms of the Internet prove that I am either lying, or a statistical anomaly.

I wouldn't say a statistical anomaly, but I have seen a fair share of problems that required the gun to go back to Ruger, and that's only in the Wichita area. Of the ones I can recall from the past year, 6 went back due to broken extractor roll pins, and maybe 10 for not feeding ANY brand of ammo (both full size and compact.)

Overall I wouldn't say it's a bad gun but it's not something I recommend to people. If you have a good time with it then awesome.

pdb
03-27-13, 06:56
pdb,

http://i.imgur.com/A9SungH.gif

Like I said above, you won't find SR9s issued to cops or shot in competitions. There's a reason for that.

Something like the S&W M&P or the Glock are both popular in service and competition, have an excellent reputation for durability and reliability, and have widely available parts, service, holsters, magazines and other support in the aftermarket. The SR9, which has none of the above, also features a small safety, a magazine disconnect and a poorly designed loaded chamber indicator, and costs about the same as a real pistol.

Not seeing the attraction here.

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-27-13, 07:09
I use to work for "The World's Foremost Outfitter" and the only people I ever saw buy the SR9 were Fudds who were card carrying members of the Ruger fan club. I remember a few going back to Ruger. I think it speaks volumes that Dave Spaulding with his connection to Ruger, shoots an SR9 on tv but admits in his magazine articles that his daily carry is a Glock 19, not the Rugers he could get for free.

whick1
03-27-13, 07:46
a fellow deputy at my dept bought a SR9c for his wife as a carry piece. It would not make it thru a whole mag without some sort of malfunctions. Primarily light primer strikes. It was also very picky on ammo. It would feed most FMJ fine most of the time but was awful with JHP. We tried Gold Dots, Ranger, XTP, Critical Defense, Critical Duty, SXT, and HST and this gun would not feed any of them reliably. In a full mag with any of these JHP they were getting at least 3-5 FT Feed. We polished the feedramps and he changed out RSA. Finally he realized it was not the best option and bought her a MP Shield.

If possible i would cancel my order if not I would sell and get as much of my $$ back as possible and look at Glock, MP or Walther PPQ.

twistedcomrade
03-27-13, 09:42
I use to work for "The World's Foremost Outfitter" and the only people I ever saw buy the SR9 were Fudds who were card carrying members of the Ruger fan club. I remember a few going back to Ruger. I think it speaks volumes that Dave Spaulding with his connection to Ruger, shoots an SR9 on tv but admits in his magazine articles that his daily carry is a Glock 19, not the Rugers he could get for free.

I always wondered about that guy after watching, I think it is Personal Defense, with him on there. I am glad I clicked on this thread because I assumed the lastest batch of Ruger autos were like there old P89 series of pistols, ugly and a little crude but affordable and serviceable. I guess not. As far as there LCP and LC9 go, I would never want a pistol that basically copied a Kel Tec design.

jbasas13
03-28-13, 00:53
ive been thinking about one of these for ccw

Bigun
03-28-13, 03:10
My experience, and the experiences of many people who have actually owned and operated the SR9c are completely different than what I'm seeing in this thread.

I have had one for awhile, and I use it as my light clothing CCW. It is not OK. It's awesome.

The original release of the SR9 (full size) had a bad trigger. Ruger dramatically improved that with the release of the SR9c, and have put the new trigger in the full size since the compact came out. It has very little take up, and makes it very easy to be accurate. Finger travel is minimal, so rapid fire is stupid easy.

The recoil spring assembly is fantastic, and the pistol has a very low bore. In fact, it has a virtually identical silhouette to the Caracal. Consequently, muzzle rise is virtually nonexistent.

It eats everything, and doesn't just extract cases-- it throws them out with authority.

The barrel peening issue is cosmetic, and not as common as people think. Most owners that I know have not experienced it, and I have yet to see any failures associated with it.

Here is an extended review that I did some time ago, with a lot of participation from other posters, and a lot of pictures.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492724

I work for a dealer. I know and interact with a lot of people who own these. 100% positive feedback. My experience also. A lot of BS in this thread. Glock fanboys always rippin on the other guys guns. LOL. Cleaned the firing pin channel right away in my initial cleaning and never had a misfeed or light primer strike of any kind. Boringly reliable and accurate. And as far as parts and pins falling out nothing. And hard to strip PLEASE a 1911 is much more complicated and a glock is much more dangerous to the uninitiated. Its a good gun for not a lot of cash. P.S. no Fudd here I am a 13 year veteran police officer, SIG and Beretta certified armorer, and a former tactical firearms instructor, part time gunsmith and a certified gun nut.

Bigun
03-28-13, 03:24
Never trust a Ruger automatic handgun. They are notoriously unimpressive. Ruger SR9 does not have any features that should cause it to be on your list of handguns to purchase.
Sorry to hear you already have one ordered. If you can cancel the order and find something more suitable. Based on what experience?? I have always found Ruger handguns to be an excellent value, safe, reliable and hell for stout. They are untill the recent evolutions ugly but they have always been a solid value. I work on a lot of high dollar guns but other than changing a connector on a SR9c and putting Meprolites on mine I have never had to do a repair that was more than re staking a pin or replacing a spring that was well past it's useful service life. Cant say the same for Glocks or SIG or even Beretta.

Bigun
03-28-13, 03:30
ive been thinking about one of these for ccw

Make your own choice, A whole lot of armchair commando talk and heresay going on in this thread. I trust mine implicitly it has fed everything I have fed it to include every hollow point up to 147 grain that I have tried. My fathers has been the same. The only complaint I have is Mags are hard to get and expensive at this time but what Standard cap mags arent in this enviroment.

Mr blasty
03-28-13, 06:15
Make your own choice, A whole lot of armchair commando talk and heresay going on in this thread. I trust mine implicitly it has fed everything I have fed it to include every hollow point up to 147 grain that I have tried. My fathers has been the same. The only complaint I have is Mags are hard to get and expensive at this time but what Standard cap mags arent in this enviroment.

Your just a sample of one. Far to many others have serious issues to ever consider a ruger semi auto pistol.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Apricotshot
03-28-13, 07:54
If Ruger makes such a dead nuts reliable weapon, why doesn't people who carry a gun for a living not carry Ruger? :confused:

Mr blasty
03-28-13, 08:52
If Ruger makes such a dead nuts reliable weapon, why doesn't people who carry a gun for a living not carry Ruger? :confused:

Because Biguns is hoarding all the good one. :p

RBid
03-28-13, 11:09
Ruger isn't out there marketing to military or law enforcement groups. They make plenty of money focusing on the civilian market.

The bottom line to me is: my experience owning one has been overwhelmingly positive.

I've also had an LC9-- also zero fails, in a mini test. I ran the first 800 rounds through it dry, and without cleaning it at any point. The first 250 were in one session, and were Blazer Aluminum. After that, I tried WWB, Federal Champion, varying flavors of JHP, etc. it just kept going.

We also have an LCP in the home. No fails with that, through 150 rounds so far.

Am I a Ruger fanboy? Nope. I'm a Walther guy, at heart. Big PPQ fan. I carry Glock every day. I just happen to appreciate what my SR9c does for me.

Leonidas24
03-28-13, 14:21
I'm not going to point out the multiple logical fallacies that have been thrown around in this thread to refute the claim that the SR9 is not a quality handgun, but it certainly doesn't help the cause to claim it is a decent handgun. My experience from being an instructor that has done dozens of private instructions, classes, and spent time as an RSO with students or range-goers that have owned SR9s/SR9Cs, is that they are not a handgun that I would recommend considering the fore mentioned problems that I and others have witnessed and/or experienced personally.

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-28-13, 19:18
My experience also. A lot of BS in this thread. Glock fanboys always rippin on the other guys guns. LOL. Cleaned the firing pin channel right away in my initial cleaning and never had a misfeed or light primer strike of any kind. Boringly reliable and accurate. And as far as parts and pins falling out nothing. And hard to strip PLEASE a 1911 is much more complicated and a glock is much more dangerous to the uninitiated. Its a good gun for not a lot of cash. P.S. no Fudd here I am a 13 year veteran police officer, SIG and Beretta certified armorer, and a former tactical firearms instructor, part time gunsmith and a certified gun nut.

Based on what experience?? I have always found Ruger handguns to be an excellent value, safe, reliable and hell for stout. They are untill the recent evolutions ugly but they have always been a solid value. I work on a lot of high dollar guns but other than changing a connector on a SR9c and putting Meprolites on mine I have never had to do a repair that was more than re staking a pin or replacing a spring that was well past it's useful service life. Cant say the same for Glocks or SIG or even Beretta.

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af85/Kinsaban/Irrelevant/butthurt.jpg

Chromium4500
03-28-13, 20:22
I am vehemently compelled to stand up for my Ruger SR9C.

I have owned it for 3 years and thousands of rounds, ZERO FAILURES.

Like all commercial guns it came packed in cosmoline. First thing before I shoot any gun is a thorough disassemble and clean it. I have had ZERO light primer strikes, um, ever.

Lastly, I love Rugers and it fits me like a glove.

Chromium4500
03-28-13, 20:24
Ps.

Pins falling out?!!?! WTF? :confused: Most of my pins require a punch to free...

Sounds like the interwebz iz hard @ w0rK! Haha!:lol:

Bigun
03-28-13, 20:52
Like I said Glock Fanboys. My current duty arm is a SIG 229 my current off duty carry is either the Ruger SR9C or my CZ P01 Both excelent handguns and both underrated IMHO.

Bigun
03-28-13, 20:58
If Ruger makes such a dead nuts reliable weapon, why doesn't people who carry a gun for a living not carry Ruger? :confused: I do carry a gun for a living Issued SIG 229R, but off duty prefer the Ruger due to it's weight, Feel and concealability. It Passed my reliability test with flying colors so I carry it. Simple as that plus as a divorced public servant I dont have money flowing out of every pocket so I buy what I can afford.

Apricotshot
03-29-13, 07:28
I do carry a gun for a living Issued SIG 229R, but off duty prefer the Ruger due to it's weight, Feel and concealability. It Passed my reliability test with flying colors so I carry it. Simple as that plus as a divorced public servant I dont have money flowing out of every pocket so I buy what I can afford.

Ruger costs as much as Glocks & M&P do. At least at the shops around me.

Spectre'sWrath
03-29-13, 08:21
Ps.

Pins falling out?!!?! WTF? :confused: Most of my pins require a punch to free...

Sounds like the interwebz iz hard @ w0rK! Haha!:lol:

Having owned one in the past (regret...) I can attest to a pin walking out of the frame. It would start slowly, but eventually if unchecked it would be really apparent. I finally used some Zap Ca on it and it stopped moving. Thankfully, a friend helped me by imparting knowledge. I now stick with a Glock 19. Not everything is fanboy-ism. Truth can hurt.

Bigun
04-02-13, 01:27
Ruger costs as much as Glocks & M&P do. At least at the shops around me.

New mine was $400 out the door. Dont like the glock grip angle or plastic sights and the only M&P9C I fired was mediocre at best accuracy wise.

RUSKI
04-02-13, 02:55
I have had one now for almost 2 yrs. The adjustable rear sight was way off , took a few rounds but once she was sighted in I was good to go. I only carry her in the summer, and shoot. 3-4 hundred rounds a yr. I have yet to have any problems except for the sights initially.

Redbeardsong
04-02-13, 05:58
I've had an SR9c for several years, with 3000+ rds through it, and really like it. Eats every ammo I feed it. Very accurate, great trigger. I shoot it better than, and prefer the trigger to, my M&P, and it was about $100 cheaper.
The light primer strike issue is usually due to factory grease in the striker channel getting gummed up.

I've seen problems with Glocks, M&Ps, Kimbers. No gun is immune to potential failures.

Arik
04-02-13, 08:23
Didnt some departments used to issue Rugger P series? I thought the NYSP used the P345?!? Anyway my first handgun was a P89 back in 01. Wasnt bad but i didnt know any better, a gun was a gun right? I even carried it with Wolf 9mm fmj! :banghead:

Yea all manufacturers will have lemons that doesnt make them all the same. Everyone picks on Glocks for having 4th gen problems and conveniently overlooks the last 3 generations of trouble free service. Thats not the same as having problems each time you roll out a new lineup.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

TriviaMonster
04-02-13, 16:15
New mine was $400 out the door. Dont like the glock grip angle or plastic sights and the only M&P9C I fired was mediocre at best accuracy wise.

Again, another sample of one. You gave up on the whole M&Pc line due to the alleged accuracy of ONE gun, but proclaim the SR9c to be okay due to your experience with, again, one gun. Care to explain?

And also, new sights and a GFA will probably do a world of good for you and GLOCK.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Bigun
04-02-13, 19:35
Again, another sample of one. You gave up on the whole M&Pc line due to the alleged accuracy of ONE gun, but proclaim the SR9c to be okay due to your experience with, again, one gun. Care to explain?

And also, new sights and a GFA will probably do a world of good for you and GLOCK.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I respect the Glock for what it is but what it isnt is a one size fits all pistol. I have carried 1911's Beretta 92's and SIG 229's in my LE career the grip angle is similar and gives me no problems, the angle on a Glock would require massive retraining to get my muscle memory up to speed with a gun that I dont care for so no thanks. And as far as the M&P is concearned the 9mm's have had issues with accuracy since day one, the sample I fired was new had less than 100 rounds through it and wouldnt hold a 7" group at 15 yards. All 3 pistols that I had with that day were shooting groups a third that size at the same range.

Mr blasty
04-02-13, 19:38
I respect the Glock for what it is but what it isnt is a one size fits all pistol.

That is why they make several different models

Wolvee
04-02-13, 20:22
My wife carries an SR9c. I've had two plus a full size SR9. ...all of them ran flawlessly.

I've heard some still have issues with peening which I think is down right stupid since, they've known about the problem for so long.

If you're looking for a striker with a safety and don't mind the built in Lawyers, it's an amazing pistol.

It's definitely better in terms of accuracy than the M&P9c and I'd carry it even in place of a Full size M&P. ..which I've done. barring any of it's stupid features like the big red flag sitting on top, it a very good pistol. just as good as a Glock & M&P. The ergos are better on the SR9c than both Glock & M&Pc so there's a great feature right there.

The average thinking man would look at all the needless features and conclude the Glock or M&P are better but if you're looking for these features, it's well placed in the same class as the others.

That said, I've carried them all and don't carry any of them any longer. I only carry, Hk's now.

Mr blasty
04-02-13, 22:19
My wife carries an SR9c. I've had two plus a full size SR9. ...all of them ran flawlessly.

I've heard some still have issues with peening which I think is down right stupid since, they've known about the problem for so long.

If you're looking for a striker with a safety and don't mind the built in Lawyers, it's an amazing pistol.

It's definitely better in terms of accuracy than the M&P9c and I'd carry it even in place of a Full size M&P. ..which I've done. barring any of it's stupid features like the big red flag sitting on top, it a very good pistol. just as good as a Glock & M&P. The ergos are better on the SR9c than both Glock & M&Pc so there's a great feature right there.

The average thinking man would look at all the needless features and conclude the Glock or M&P are better but if you're looking for these features, it's well placed in the same class as the others.

That said, I've carried them all and don't carry any of them any longer. I only carry, Hk's now.

Again, IT's not a great pistol, Your's was a great pistol. To many lemons to rely on them with out running the shit out of a specific pistol before calling it okay. And what's with all the low round count guy's exclaiming how dead nuts reliable there's is? I'm always broke and I'm not a hsld bad ass or a high level competitor and I still put at minimum 5k a year through my cary or defensive prices! And stop with the Glock fan boy excuses guys! Any btdt type bad ass will back Glock because they kick ass, not because some dude on the Internet put a couple hundred through there's. I'll cary any pistol that works for me that proves reliable but I only spend my small amount of money on shit that has made a name for itself killing **** faces in the worst shit out there and that ain't Ruger.

RIGPIG
04-03-13, 08:37
A little over a year ago, I was at a local gunshow with my wife. We were looking for CCH pieces, and she liked the feel of the SR9c. I bought it for her, and after shooting it a bit, I liked it enough to go buy a SR40c. I only had I a few months. After a couple thousand rounds, FCG pins were walking out, the trigger would get gritty after a couple stages of IDPA, and then the trigger would fail to reset without some assistance. I sold it for $50 more than I paid for it, and bought a FNH FNX-9. My wife still has her SR9c, but I now carry a G19 and shoot a G17 competitively. There are better guns for the money out there.

Wolvee
04-03-13, 10:25
We've had some version of the SR9 or SR9c in the house since 2005. The full size had 8k rounds through it before I had ever even detail cleaned it. Till that point, I had just ran a bore brush and added lube.

My wife shoots 100-150 rounds a week (usually) with her SR9c and she's been through basic pistol at a very good school in NC. I shot a 2k round challenge with mine before I traded it for something else I wanted at the time. We haven't had any parts breakages or had to use Rugers warranty. My wifes dad has an SR40 and my old M&P357sig and both run great. My uncle also has a an SR40 that he shoots IDPA with every week and he hasn't had any issues either.

I never owned a Gen4 Glock so I can't speak to them. I think they all have such low standards, it doesn't matter which you choose. Whether it's the Glocks unsupported chambers and Gen4 issues or the M&P's accuracy issues & barrel fitment; they are all "just good enough to get the job done."

It's not as good as a "well regulated QC Sig" or an Hk but it's definitely on par with Glocks & M&P's.

RIGPIG
04-03-13, 12:16
It's not as good as a "well regulated QC Sig" or an Hk but it's definitely on par with Glocks & M&P's.

If Ruger SR series pistols were "on par" with Glocks and M&Ps, don't you think they'd get a govt or local PD contract?

djmorris
04-03-13, 12:48
Used to own a SR40 and SR40c. They are pretty nice guns despite what some of the 'elitists' here will tell you. (sounding like an ARFCOM member now) Are they Glock quality? Probably not. Are they classic Sig or HK quality? Hell ****ing no.

For the money, I think you'd be better served with something like an XD9, S&W SD9, or Sig 2022.

Not bad guns at all - just make sure you do not get an early model because Ruger always has issues with their first batch. Do not pay a penny over $399. Obviously I'd take a Glock or preferably an HK over the Ruger SR9/40/45 any day.

Wolvee
04-03-13, 13:17
If Ruger SR series pistols were "on par" with Glocks and M&Ps, don't you think they'd get a govt or local PD contract?

First your logic is a bit flawed. Just because LE or military doesn't use them as often, does not mean they are not worthy. Just because they use something, doesn't mean it's good/great. It just means, they use it.

Also, Ruger doesn't have a large enough production facility to keep up with the demand of large contracts. ..They can barely keep up with the civilian needs.

S&W and Glock practically give away their pistols and I don't think there's any way Ruger could keep up with the "lowest bidder".

williejc
04-03-13, 22:15
A dealer friend has sold many of this series. The few that are returned are fixed with minor tweaking and seem to run well thereafter. Apparently, we can expect to tweak a bit on this brand or that before our chosen handgun performs to our liking.

Recently, I paid $1000.00 each for two new Colt 1911 Government Models. a 9mm and .45. The .45 misfed because of extractor burrs, and the thumb safety was not properly fitted. The 9 had an atrocious trigger pull because of an improperly adjusted sear spring and very rough firing pin safety parts, which were replaced. I paid my smith to correct these issues rather than bother with Colt.