PDA

View Full Version : SIG LE Trade in - Magazine Safety?

HCM
03-24-13, 21:06
I recently purchased an LE trade-in DAO SIG P 226 in 9mm. It is a non rail gun with the one piece slide and solid pin.

The price was reasonable enough to make converting it to DA/SA viable but the seller neglected to mention it has a magazine safety. The pistol cannot be fired without the magazine in place like the traditional S&W autos.

I've heard of SIG offering this on LE contracts but it's the first SIG I've seen with the Mag safety.

So.... the question is will the mag safety preclude converting this gun to DA/SA ?

Are standard DA/SA internals compatible with this weapon ?

Is this something that would be of interest to a SIG collector ?

S. Galbraith
03-24-13, 21:45
DAO to DA/SA is easy. Just get a DA/SA hammer and decocker assembly and you are good to go. No problem with the magazine disconnect.

P226s with magazine disconnects are rare in the country in general, but are common for states like California. So, no added collector value.

I've honestly never worked on a gun with a magazine disconnect, but as I recall it is a fairly simple operation of swapping out the disconnect trigger bar with a standard one. I believe there is some extra mill-cuts on the frame of mag disconnect guns to make room for the extra hardware.

twistedcomrade
03-25-13, 07:28
OP, was this pistol purchased from CDNN by chance? I have looked hard at the police trade in Sigs that they offer, but I would not want one with a mag safety.

HCM
03-25-13, 08:05
OP, was this pistol purchased from CDNN by chance? I have looked hard at the police trade in Sigs that they offer, but I would not want one with a mag safety.

No. I purchased it from Independance guns.

SigSlave
03-25-13, 08:11
The mag safety can be defeated by removing those parts from the locking insert or by purchasing a new locking insert from Sig customer service. Changing it to DA/SA is easy too but with all this work, wouldn't it just be easier to sell the gun and buy what you actually want?

SigSlave
03-25-13, 08:14
DAO to DA/SA is easy. Just get a DA/SA hammer and decocker assembly and you are good to go. No problem with the magazine disconnect.

P226s with magazine disconnects are rare in the country in general, but are common for states like California. So, no added collector value.

I've honestly never worked on a gun with a magazine disconnect, but as I recall it is a fairly simple operation of swapping out the disconnect trigger bar with a standard one. I believe there is some extra mill-cuts on the frame of mag disconnect guns to make room for the extra hardware.

You need a DA/SA hammer, a decocking lever bearing, spring and lever like you said and depending on how old the gun is, you may need to swap out hammer strut parts. The grips will be fine as most Sig P series grips have decocking lever cut outs on the grips even if the lever is not there.

Also, the mag disconnect feature is in the locking insert, not the trigger bar.

Code3Patriot
03-25-13, 08:25

Yeah, no. Many of the PDs and SOs in the CA Bay Area are issued Sig, none of us would be caught dead with a mag disconnect safety on our weapons. I shoot with LEOs from all over the state, and have never met a single brother or sister officer who has a mag disconnect on their weapon, Sig or otherwise (except for the CHP with their S&Ws). If it's a LE trade-in, it damn sure didn't come from California.

HCM
03-25-13, 08:26

Thank you. This is the first one I've see in person. You are correct about the extra mill cuts. Even if de-activated, I beleive the Mag safety lever will need to remain in place. I'll try an post a picture tonight.

twistedcomrade
03-25-13, 13:48
No. I purchased it from Independance guns.

Thanks for the info.

ra2bach
03-25-13, 14:15

I believe you also need new grips..

SigSlave
03-25-13, 15:42
Deleted

03-25-13, 21:56
My department uses the P229R in .40. We used to have the magazine disconnect, as we transitioned from the S&W 4006. I say seized to have the disconnect, as after approximately three years of duty use over ~900 pistols, we had numerous catastrophic malfunctions involving the magazine disconnect locking the gun up solid. We ditched the magazine safety, and have had no unusual issues since.

I would ditch the mag safety, as it isn't something specifically designed for the Sig. Contrary to popular belief, Sig makes a very nice pistol if you stick with the classic P series. I own two, and carry one at work. All are US made guns. I have been very pleased with them.

HCM
03-26-13, 16:57
The mag safety can be defeated by removing those parts from the locking insert or by purchasing a new locking insert from Sig customer service. Changing it to DA/SA is easy too but with all this work, wouldn't it just be easier to sell the gun and buy what you actually want?

I knew it was a DAO when I bought it and I'm familiar enough with standard SIG internals to swap it out to DA/SA.

The seller did not mention the Mag safety - I only discovered it after buying / receiving the weapon.

I'm thinking it will sell much quicker easier as a DA/SA but I'm not going to mess with the mag safety for the reasons stated above.

HCM
03-26-13, 17:03
My department uses the P229R in .40. We used to have the magazine disconnect, as we transitioned from the S&W 4006. I say seized to have the disconnect, as after approximately three years of duty use over ~900 pistols, we had numerous catastrophic malfunctions involving the magazine disconnect locking the gun up solid. We ditched the magazine safety, and have had no unusual issues since.

I would ditch the mag safety, as it isn't something specifically designed for the Sig. Contrary to popular belief, Sig makes a very nice pistol if you stick with the classic P series. I own two, and carry one at work. All are US made guns. I have been very pleased with them.

Thanks. My agency issues the 229R DAK in 40. We have good results - they would be better if we could get our guys to keep them lubed properly!

I'd heard of the mag safety but I'd never seen a SIG with one. This is also the first I've heard of the SIG mag safety causing malfunctions though not surprising given it's not original to the SIG P series design.

Bigun
03-28-13, 04:04
Yeah, no. Many of the PDs and SOs in the CA Bay Area are issued Sig, none of us would be caught dead with a mag disconnect safety on our weapons. I shoot with LEOs from all over the state, and have never met a single brother or sister officer who has a mag disconnect on their weapon, Sig or otherwise (except for the CHP with their S&Ws). If it's a LE trade-in, it damn sure didn't come from California.

My issued 229R DAK has a mag safety it seems to be a non issue through the 3500 rounds each that we have put through them in the last 3 years, we have had no failures. While I hate the idea of a mag safety they do have their place. The DAO gun with the mag safety is probably from a Fed prison.

HCM
03-28-13, 17:26
My issued 229R DAK has a mag safety it seems to be a non issue through the 3500 rounds each that we have put through them in the last 3 years, we have had no failures. While I hate the idea of a mag safety they do have their place. The DAO gun with the mag safety is probably from a Fed prison.

Thanks - this is my first experience with the mag safety on a SIG

This particular P226 with mag safety was originally purchased by the Flint, MI Police Department.

U.S. BOP uses Ruger 9mm's. I believe they are DAO - not sure about a mag safety in those guns. One of my former trainees is Ex BOP. I'll hit him up for details.

Bigun
03-28-13, 21:02
Thanks - this is my first experience with the mag safety on a SIG

This particular P226 with mag safety was originally purchased by the Flint, MI Police Department.

U.S. BOP uses Ruger 9mm's. I believe they are DAO - not sure about a mag safety in those guns. One of my former trainees is Ex BOP. I'll hit him up for details. They also in the past have used Beretta 92 D's. Not a huge fan of the long heavy DAO trigger but have used them for so many years that they feel like second nature to me. The DAK trigger however is something that I like a lot.

policetested
03-28-13, 21:59
My former agency uses Sig229s with the disconnect, prior to that we had 92DAOs with the mag disconnect. This for officer safety when dealing with mental patients in lock down wards. Beretta declined to manufacture more 92DAOs with the safety so we went to Sigs.

The logic of the agency flawless...had to have 92s because the chief firearms man was a retired Marine. The deputy chief was from an agency that had Smiths...wa la...92DAO with mag safety.

When I was at the academy I dared ask the question if you want the mag disconnect; why not get M&P 9s...its standard and no special parts/contracts required. The Marine's response was; we don't want those polymer pistols they are untested for lifespan/durability. Guess he missed Glocks being used for decades.

Bigun
03-28-13, 23:20
My former agency uses Sig229s with the disconnect, prior to that we had 92DAOs with the mag disconnect. This for officer safety when dealing with mental patients in lock down wards. Beretta declined to manufacture more 92DAOs with the safety so we went to Sigs.

The logic of the agency flawless...had to have 92s because the chief firearms man was a retired Marine. The deputy chief was from an agency that had Smiths...wa la...92DAO with mag safety.

When I was at the academy I dared ask the question if you want the mag disconnect; why not get M&P 9s...its standard and no special parts/contracts required. The Marine's response was; we don't want those polymer pistols they are untested for lifespan/durability. Guess he missed Glocks being used for decades. LOL sounds familiar.

HCM
04-01-13, 14:22
They also in the past have used Beretta 92 D's. Not a huge fan of the long heavy DAO trigger but have used them for so many years that they feel like second nature to me. The DAK trigger however is something that I like a lot.

I carried issued Beretta 96D Brigadiers for a few years.I went through 3 of them in about 4 years. They were reliable but not durable.We broke so many trigger return springs we eventually had to get Wolff to design a replacement.

Regarding the SIG Mag disconnect safeties- per some SIG LE SME's
there are two different styles of SIG mag disconnect safeties. The old style is machined into the frame and adds some extra parts. The new version is a replacement locking block. They were redesigned because the older style had some issues. This explains the conflicting reports regarding their reliability.Unfortunately, my new acquisition has the older style mag disconnect built into the frame rather than the locking block. :(

Bigun
04-02-13, 01:20
We never had any problems with our 92D's, supprised you had issues with the 96's. Wolf trigger return springs have always been good Juju.

HCM
04-02-13, 16:04
.40 cal is hard on guns.

S. Galbraith
04-02-13, 16:26
.40 cal is hard on guns.

Yep. Some guns models more than others though. We've been using P229 .40s for almost two decades, and they seem to handle the .40 really well.

John Hearne
04-05-13, 08:43
As noted above, there are two styles of magazines safeties in the Sig classic series. For the curious, the following is a link to the details of the original design which machines the frame to make it work:
http://thecurmudgeon.freeservers.com/sig_mag_safety.html

As an aside on magazine safeties, a friend of mine was stopped by the local highway patrol while carrying on his CCW. The trooper asked for the magazine in the pistol and walked back to his car to run him. The trooper returned with the magazine and gave my friend a warning. My friend asked my the trooper had taken his magazine and the trooper responded "to disable your pistol." The trooper was horrified to find out that most pistols don't have a magazine safety (like the S&W he carried) or that my friend was carrying spare magazines.