PDA

View Full Version : Anyone carry a 3" GP100 in 357?

das
03-25-13, 02:03
I am considering a 3" 357 mag GP100. Is it concealable? I know they are heavy.

wahoo95
03-25-13, 06:00
Bulky and heavy for what you get(6 shots in a heavy package) but if you wanna rock a wheel gun I see nothing wrong with it. Ruger revolvers are built tough as it gets. You appear to be a big fan of Rugers or at least I assume so with all the Ruger questions? I would like a 3" GP100 to keep around the house though I'd never carry it. I have a 2.5" Model 66 S&W and its too big for carry based on my taste so the Ruger falls into the same category for me.

"If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough"

mike56
03-25-13, 16:00
I have a Smith 686 plus, 7-shot, 3 inch, that I carry from time to time.
Good holster is the key. This one is a Grizzle.
Not too heavy with a good belt.

brushy bill
03-27-13, 18:05
Only as a belt gun for walking around in the woods. Too heavy/bulky for EDC IMHO. But it is a durable, reliable revolver and I like mine.

CDR_Glock
03-30-13, 23:12
I only have a 6" GP100, and it's a tad bit too long; however, my S&W 586 L-Comp 7 round 357 in a Lobo Leather is what I'm carrying at the moment. It's heavier and thicker than a GP100.

If it suits you and you have a holster that works for you, then there is no reason not to carry it. Key is the right holster and the right clothes to cover what you have.

CougarBlue
03-31-13, 10:47
Fantastic revolver. I have had a 3" for several years and have been very impressed with its ruggedness and accuracy. In my opinion, it's too big for EDC. Swapping out the houge grip would help. I only find myself carrying it in the woods in an OWB holster.

Rumpelhardt
04-02-13, 14:20
I haven't carried it but I do have a 2.25 inch SP101 that I would think might be a better carry gun. It is still a bit heavy and is a 5 shot so you loose another round. I wouldn't want a gun much lighter for use with full power .357 though.

WillBrink
04-02-13, 14:47
I haven't carried it but I do have a 2.25 inch SP101 that I would think might be a better carry gun. It is still a bit heavy and is a 5 shot so you loose another round. I wouldn't want a gun much lighter for use with full power .357 though.

The SP101 is no fun to shoot with full .357 loads that's for sure. I'd put 50 rnds of .38SP and 10-12rnds of .357 through it at the range and be done with it when I had one. The quality of .38 SP made specifically for snub revolvers has improved greatly, making the smaller lighter .38 snub a viable option vs the SP101, which while built like tank, makes little sense when you can have a similar or lighter gun with 1 more rnd or far more rnds in a highly reliable package these days.

With modern offerings and modern ammo, the weight, rnd count, and terminal ballistics of other choices if calibers didn't favor the SP101 I decided.

That was my feeling on it anyway. The more knowledgeable here may have another take on it.

TriumphRat675
04-02-13, 14:48
I'm a big fan of both the GP100 and SP101 and the SP is orders of magnitude easier to carry. I use Simply Rugged holsters for both; the SP has a 3" barrel and conceals very well even under tighter fitting clothing..

GunnutAF
04-03-13, 22:55
Nope I carry my 6" GP100 alot. Mostly OC, but if I must CC it's in a shoulder rig!:D

THCDDM4
04-05-13, 12:17
Not a GP100 -or- SP101; exactly- but a Security Six which is close enough to the GP100...

For years I carried my Ruger Security Six w/ 1.75" snub-nose; mostly OC, but sometimes CC. I'd use a shoulder holster for CC as that is the only pratical way I could do it; the right clothing was important...

It was a beast to lug around; kind of like having a stainless steel brick with you everywhere you go.

Once I got into & shot enough semi-auto pistols to trust them I stopped carrying the wheel guns (At least 99% of the time)- it only goes walking with me on mountain trips/camping/fishing/hunting/etc and stuff like that where the full throttle .357 magnum loads might be needed.

It is a perfect bed-side drawer gun though and that is where it stays 99% of the time these days.

Carry what works for you, what you are comfortable carrying and what you can shoot well.

My preferred carry weapon can change from day to day, month to month based on the specific outing, specific regional laws and or weather/time of year. Carry what makes the most overall sense.

steelerfan88
04-12-13, 16:19
I am considering a 3" 357 mag GP100. Is it concealable? I know they are heavy.

too heavy on the hip....I do like mine in a shoulder rig though (fall/winter carry)

fotomaker57
04-13-13, 08:50
I have a 3" GP100 and do on occasion carry concealed. Best done with a heavy cover garment like a coat. As for the weight I can't tell that much difference between the Ruger and my XD 45. If you do decided to go with the GP100 you will need a very good,stout holster that will hold it tight to your torso and not let it shift and move around. Here is a picture of my GP100 and XD after a little workout at the range.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/fotomaker57/GUNS/RANGE2.jpg

Dave James
04-13-13, 12:11
IMO it is an excellent carry piece, but this is speaking as an old timer who regularly carried my 3 1/2" 27 every day on duty and off, the Ruger will handle my favorite load all day long, 145 grain Winchester Silver tip,

ONe of the best holsters I have seen for it is the old Safriland Batwing

RHINOWSO
04-13-13, 13:19
I carried a S&W M65-3, 3" for a summer.

Never felt under gunned really, they are heavy (I believe the Ruger is a little larger than the S&W) but with the 3" barrel you realyy start reaping the benefits of a 357 magnum round over a 38SPL +P (not saying you don't get more less than 3", I just think at 3" the muzzle blast is more manageable and worth the added velocity, below that you're still getting more velocity but much more blast).

In the end I enjoyed my fling with revolvers (and still have a couple of J-frames), but they are heavy and compared to modern semi autos, slower for the average to above average shooter, especially with reloads.

Ruger makes a quality revolver, so if you want to carry one, a solid belt and holster will make or break it for you.

9mmsteve
04-13-13, 20:00
I carried a 3 inch GP100 as a duty gun (Admin Position) for a couple of months. It was very heavy and I couldn't match my range scores with my Semi-Auto so I quit carrying it.

Size wise you could conceal it but it would be very heavy.

Deputy Dan
04-13-13, 20:06
The 3" GP was my duty gun in the 90s in my current agency. Heavy and overbuilt, the trigger on mine sucked. Carried it for about a year before I replaced it with a 4" S&W M28.

das
04-14-13, 08:43
Thank you for all the help men. Dom

handlebar
04-14-13, 09:54
I carry the Ruger LCR in .357, but keep it loaded w/+P's. it is too much to handle w/magnums, albeit, quite accurate w/them.

das
04-15-13, 01:58
I carry the Ruger LCR in .357, but keep it loaded w/+P's. it is too much to handle w/magnums, albeit, quite accurate w/them.

Thank you sir.

Jake'sDad
04-15-13, 11:10
Not a GP100 -or- SP101; exactly- but a Security Six which is close enough to the GP100...

For years I carried my Ruger Security Six w/ 1.75" snub-nose; mostly OC, but sometimes CC. I'd use a shoulder holster for CC as that is the only pratical way I could do it; the right clothing was important...

A Sec 6 1.75"?

That would be a very rare gun......