PDA

View Full Version : Misinformation?

CrazyFingers
03-26-13, 09:04
Quick background: I'm working on getting into reloading, but I do not have a press yet, so I haven't actually reloaded anything. I do have a tumbler, and I've been selling some of my old brass to raise funds for other components.
A member (with 0 discussion posts) contacted me about some 9mm fired brass I had for sale, and the following conversation took place:

ME: OK. I also have 300 Remington 9mm cases that still need to be tumbled/decapped if you need more.

HIM: Are they all the same grain?

ME: Grain? They're empty 9mm fired cases, all with the head stamp "R-P", which is Remington.

HIM: Cases have different loads of grain. You cant use a 115 grain shell with a 147 grain load.

If I'm understanding him correctly, he's saying that you cannot use an empty 9mm shell that was factory loaded with a 115gr projectile with a 147gr reload. Now, he might be pulling my leg (blinker fluid?), or he might genuinely believe this. At first I was inclined to dismiss this as nonsense, but since I don't have any hands-on experience with reloading, I figured I'd better confirm that.

For his assertion to be correct, one of two things must be true:

1. The actual cases are manufactured to different specifications, depending on the intended projectile weight. Federal, Remington, Winchester, etc. would have to maintain separate production lines for the various 9mm cases, and reloaders would somehow have to be able to tell the difference.

2. The cases are the same, but the act of factory loading and/or firing them magically changes them so they cannot be used with a projectile of a different weight. Again, this seems nonsensical, since the point of the resizing die is to bring them back to SAAMI specs.

Since neither of these scenarios seem remotely plausible, I'm going to assume he was either kidding me or is grossly misinformed. If someone here with more credibility can explain why he is correct, I'm all ears.

Airhasz
03-26-13, 09:06
Quick background: I'm working on getting into reloading, but I do not have a press yet, so I haven't actually reloaded anything. I do have a tumbler, and I've been selling some of my old brass to raise funds for other components.
A member (with 0 discussion posts) contacted me about some 9mm fired brass I had for sale, and the following conversation took place:

ME: OK. I also have 300 Remington 9mm cases that still need to be tumbled/decapped if you need more.

HIM: Are they all the same grain?

ME: Grain? They're empty 9mm fired cases, all with the head stamp "R-P", which is Remington.

HIM: Cases have different loads of grain. You cant use a 115 grain shell with a 147 grain load.

If I'm understanding him correctly, he's saying that you cannot use an empty 9mm shell that was factory loaded with a 115gr projectile with a 147gr reload. Now, he might be pulling my leg (blinker fluid?), or he might genuinely believe this. At first I was inclined to dismiss this as nonsense, but since I don't have any hands-on experience with reloading, I figured I'd better confirm that.

For his assertion to be correct, one of two things must be true:

1. The actual cases are manufactured to different specifications, depending on the intended projectile weight. Federal, Remington, Winchester, etc. would have to maintain separate production lines for the various 9mm cases, and reloaders would somehow have to be able to tell the difference.

2. The cases are the same, but the act of factory loading and/or firing them magically changes them so they cannot be used with a projectile of a different weight. Again, this seems nonsensical, since the point of the resizing die is to bring them back to SAAMI specs.

Since neither of these scenarios seem remotely plausible, I'm going to assume he was either kidding me or is grossly misinformed. If someone here with more credibility can explain why he is correct, I'm all ears.

Case is a case. Buyer is incorrect.

Clint
03-26-13, 09:54
Believe in yourself Crazyfingers.

You demonstrate a firm grasp on the fundamentals.

Feel free to correct ( or ignore the ramblings of ) your uninformed buyer.

T2C
03-26-13, 10:02
What the buyer said was horse hockey. If he is a B.S.er, then let the buyer beware. If he will pay more for 147g match brass, then by all means tell him what he wants to hear. :D

CrazyFingers
03-26-13, 10:58
Thank you gentlemen, that's what I thought.

Mods, feel free to close this thread if you like.

Maineshooter
03-26-13, 15:41
What the buyer said was horse hockey. If he is a B.S.er, then let the buyer beware. If he will pay more for 147g match brass, then by all means tell him what he wants to hear. :D

I have some match brass that has been hand sorted by weight with de-burred flash holes if he is interested? :D

CrazyFingers
03-26-13, 16:56
Ok, but does it have a right-hand or left-hand primer pocket? In case he asks...

T2C
03-26-13, 21:41
Ok, but does it have a right-hand or left-hand primer pocket? In case he asks...

Ambidextrous. It brings a premium amount of money.

Confed-rifleman
03-27-13, 00:41
Be sure they have been demagnetized before reloading them.

Swag
03-27-13, 00:59
Not a reloader yet but never heard of this in any of my reading. Possibly getting nickel plated versus standard brass reloading issues confused?

T2C
03-27-13, 03:09
Be sure they have been demagnetized before reloading them.

You are good. I will have to remember to check my brass.

CrazyFingers
03-27-13, 06:39
ME: So, you're saying that a 9mm brass case manufactured to SAAMI specifications and factory loaded with a 115gr projectile is different than a 9mm brass case manufactured to SAAMI specifications and factory loaded with a 147gr projectile?
How?

HIM: What im saying is that the Lyman reloading book specifically says that you have to use the right shell for the right kind of load. Go ahead and put 147 grain into a 115 grain shell and tell me how that works out.

:blink:

I cannot understand his thought process. He is absolutely adamant that he's right, and that there are several different kinds of 9mm cases. Apparently, if you use the "wrong" case with the "wrong" projectile, the entire thing will explode and kill your family.

Can anyone with a Lyman reloading manual shed some light on where this idea might have come from?

HackerF15E
03-27-13, 07:00
Methinks he needs to make himself a little smarter on reloading before he does himself some serious bodily harm through his own lack of understanding of the process.

Aray
03-27-13, 07:04
ME: So, you're saying that a 9mm brass case manufactured to SAAMI specifications and factory loaded with a 115gr projectile is different than a 9mm brass case manufactured to SAAMI specifications and factory loaded with a 147gr projectile?
How?

HIM: What im saying is that the Lyman reloading book specifically says that you have to use the right shell for the right kind of load. Go ahead and put 147 grain into a 115 grain shell and tell me how that works out.

I cannot understand his thought process. He is absolutely adamant that he's right, and that there are several different kinds of 9mm cases. Apparently, if you use the "wrong" case with the "wrong" projectile, the entire thing will explode and kill your family.

Can anyone with a Lyman reloading manual shed some light on where this idea might have come from?

I would avoid putting pistol projectiles in a shell. They make funny patterns from your shotgun. ;)

Magelk
03-27-13, 10:12
How?

This person has a very serious problem with comprehension.

markm
03-27-13, 10:47
Definitely DON'T sell anything to a retard like that. You'll be holding this pea brain's hand for life.

I had a retard like this buy some ammo from me and he was all assed up because it was 6 years old. :rolleyes:

OkieOutlaw
03-27-13, 12:14
There is no difference in brass whether loaded with 115 or 147 gr. That guy is a bloomin retard if ever I saw one.

.46caliber
03-27-13, 13:19
Buyer is right. I always load 115 grains of powder for my 115 gr. 9mm loads. 147 grains of powder for 115 gr. 9mm is too much. Don't you guys know anything?

[/sarcasm]

Disclaimer for the dumb - I'm joking

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

jstalford
03-27-13, 13:30
He is absolutely adamant that he's right

This is the problem with most people that are wrong.

T2C
03-27-13, 13:33
Definitely DON'T sell anything to a retard like that. You'll be holding this pea brain's hand for life. :rolleyes:

Valid point. Unless you make enough profit to retire to your own island, it is not worth the risk.

HackerF15E
03-28-13, 05:57
Personally, I'd like to see what a 147 grain brass 9x19 case looks like.

Bimmer
03-28-13, 10:50
Is it possible that he's confusing 9x17 (.380), 9x18 (Makarov), 9x19 (parabellum/Luger), and 9x21?

In any case, he's confused...

I'm rather worried that there's going to be a rash of people blowing up their guns/their houses/themselves, and then we'll see some kind of backlash against reloaders ("No reloaded ammunition allowed").

thei3ug
03-28-13, 12:59
I would be worried as well... if there were a supply of powder for these people to blow themselves up with.

jstone
03-28-13, 14:17
I think what this Guy is talking about is the brand of case. Most manuals list what case they used to develop the loads. In lyman's 49 they use the same brand of case for all loads. On the first page it lists the primer and case used. There is not a different for each projectile.

Tell the Guy if he is so adamant to join in this thread. I'm sure there is well over a hundred years worth of experience in this thread alone. You should not sell him anything. If you have 9 & 223 cases to get rid of ill trade you for supplies you need.

Since 223 has always been so plentiful I would recycle cases after 4 firings regardless of condition. I still have a lot, but I can never have to much.