PDA

View Full Version : What is once fired brass worth?

jmnielsen
03-26-13, 09:38
I apologize if this is somewhere on here, I couldn't find it. I did some google-ing but came up with a ridiculous wide range of prices that were from current to 4 years ago. So my question is, what is once fired .223 and 9mm brass worth per round? I'm working out a deal with a guy to get a discount on ammo for each round of brass I give him when I buy. I don't have a ton of brass, because I was an idiot and just recently starting picking it up, but that's besides the fact. If you were to buy once fired brass per round, what would you pay? Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Airhasz
03-26-13, 10:19
Take the average price of brass for sale online. All the hand loaders I know save brass from factory ammo they shoot or pick up brass from others. Buying brass defeats the purpose of saving money by re-loading spent cases.

CrazyFingers
03-26-13, 11:17
While I can't speak for .223 brass, I've recently sold two lots of 9mm on the EE, for an average per-case price of 4.3 cents and 3.8 cents, so a rough average of 4 cents each.

As with all things, it's worth what someone will pay.
Out of curiosity, what discount is he offering per round for each caliber?

jmnielsen
03-26-13, 11:21
He has offered 5 cents per round off for 9mm, but hasn't offered anything for .223 because I wasn't sure I wanted to get rid of it. I wanted to price check and see what it is worth.

CrazyFingers
03-26-13, 11:25
Keep in mind that .223 brass is fairly popular on the M4C EE. You might find you can get more by selling it there than by using it as trade-in on loaded rounds.
This guy (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=126863) sold 1000 pieces of Lake City for 16 cents each.

rackham1
03-26-13, 11:34
As with all things, it's worth what someone will pay.

Agreed. Test the market by adding a bunch of Gunbroker auctions to your watchlist so you can pull them back up after they end to see the winning bid. Shouldn't be your only research, but at least it's a datapoint.

jmnielsen
03-26-13, 11:37
Agreed. Test the market by adding a bunch of Gunbroker auctions to your watchlist so you can pull them back up after they end to see the winning bid. Shouldn't be your only research, but at least it's a datapoint.

Ill do that and see what it has sold for on here and come up with a price. Thanks for the help guys.

rackham1
03-26-13, 11:38
He has offered 5 cents per round off for 9mm

I'd take that if I were you! No opinion on the 223 though (because I keep mine).

S. Galbraith
03-26-13, 12:04
Unless you can pick up someone else's brass that they leave behind, eventually you will have to buy brass as it wears out with enough reloads. Brass that is easy to find on ranges will your common handgun calibers(9mm/.40/.45acp). 9mm tends to be the most plentiful, and not as many people reload for it due to not a whole lot of savings in doing so......so not much desire for 9mm brass. You save a lot more money in reloading for .45acp......so fairly desireable brass. .40S&W is kinda in between the two in terms of desireability.

.223 or .308 brass sells fast. You can expect around $.10 a case for .223, and around $.15 a case for .308.

theblackknight
03-26-13, 15:21
Take the average price of brass for sale online. All the hand loaders I know save brass from factory ammo they shoot or pick up brass from others. Buying brass defeats the purpose of saving money by re-loading spent cases.

Negative, reloading also allows you to tailor loads to your gun for power and overall measurements. You might pay at or a little above normal factory prices the first batch, but you are getting better quality. Plus buying cases is still cost effective when you reuse them. So take the price of the cases divided by how many times you can safely reload them and that's your actual brass cost per #.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Blwn99x
03-26-13, 22:04
1000 pieces 223 brass are going anywhere from $50 up to $200. its all over the road right now