PDA

View Full Version : Bolt action 308 ideas

aerburns
03-26-13, 15:38
I have been thinking about getting a bolt action .308 for a while now. My primary use would be whitetail hunting in brush on bluffs, so I would like a barrel around 20", and not so heavy that I hate carrying it, but not so light that I hate shooting it.

I also would like a DBM and to have the option of higher cap magazines. I am less than thrilled with our economic prospects, and wonder if I might not be going back to the land one day in my life, eeking out a humble existence with gardening and hunting. While I would prefer a low cap for general hunting, I would want to be able to carry a high cap with, in case I would run into trouble in the woods, or if I were to back from hunting to trouble at home.

So I guess what I want is primarily a hunting rifle, but one with the option of more firepower as well. I would probably want a scope as my eyes are bad enough now in my 30s, and I don't know anyone whos vision got better with age.

The Ruger gunsite scout looks pretty sweet, but I can't help but think I could get something for less money that would work as well. I have a Savage Mark II with an accutrigger already, so I have been leaning toward some flavor of Savage 11, but I would like to hear some suggestions.

Thanks for your time reading this, and I would love to hear some of your thoughts.

ST911
03-26-13, 18:16
Great pursuit that will bring you lots of satisfaction. We have recently run or updated a number of threads on practical bolt action rifles, sport-utility bolt guns, and fighting bolt guns. Also, Ruger M77, Ruger GSR, Scout Rifle, Tikka, and Savage Hog Hunter combined with the above help get you there. If you search those terms they come right up.

Kokopelli
03-26-13, 18:30
Well, other than the box magazine the Rem 700 XCR Compact might work for you.. Ron

Bad pic, but it's all I got..

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii309/Hohopelli/BB/DSC09286_zps6f0aa515.jpg

GingerPatches
03-26-13, 20:03
Consider a Remington 700 SPS youth model. 20" barrel and shorter LOP. Add some DBM bottom metal, a 1-4x optic, and you've got a sweet practical rifle.

This will probably be more than the GSR, unless you can find a box store blow out with SPS models for $380-400. What you would get is the insane amount of aftermarket support afforded to the 700 action.

The Ruger is a nice stick, especially with those 5-round polymer magazines and a good sling. Aftermarket support is definitely rolling with the popularity of these rifles. I've got one (and an M77 compact) and like both very much.

aerburns
03-26-13, 20:53
I was actually thinking of something similar to your suggestion, but in a Savage 11 youth model with an accu trigger, and then put it in a laminate stock. I think I could do this for about $600 plus $50 to have it bedded.

I know the Remington 700 is very popular, can someone tell me why?

I read all about Winchester and CZ being great for controlled feed. I read Savage is great for out of box trigger and accuracy, at a great price point. I read tons of people like the Remington 700, but I don't think I have found anything about why it is so popular.

jamesbern
03-26-13, 20:58
I feel the Remington 700 is to bolt actions like the AR-15 is to semi-auto rifles.

Lots of parts available. You can basically build one almost without using almost any factory parts.

GingerPatches
03-26-13, 21:14
I was actually thinking of something similar to your suggestion, but in a Savage 11 youth model with an accu trigger, and then put it in a laminate stock. I think I could do this for about $600 plus $50 to have it bedded.

I read all about Winchester and CZ being great for controlled feed. I read Savage is great for out of box trigger and accuracy, at a great price point. I read tons of people like the Remington 700, but I don't think I have found anything about why it is so popular.

Honestly, any of those will work A-OK for what you want to build. The Remington and Savage will have more options for DBM bottom metal, if that's what you want. You are more likely to find a Remington or Savage for less money, too.

I think a Tikka T3 lite cut back to 18"-20" would be sweet, too.

I am a huge fan of controlled round feed actions, but the push feed Remington and Savage have never failed in my hands.

aguila327
03-27-13, 00:15
I agree with the prior responses. You'll find more options available on the parts by sticking with a Rem. 700 or a Savage.

I know Savage has a nice little 20" .308 out now and it has a detachable Magazine (check ur recent gun magazines, I cant remember the model or name)

I'm a savage fan, but as far as reliability both brands are up to snuff.

airman
04-23-13, 14:42
Mossberg just came out with their mvp in 308 which I think is what you are looking for

jmnielsen
04-28-13, 19:09
has the MVP in 308 been released yet? I can find a bunch of reviews and such online for the 5.56 but nothing for the .308. I'd love to pick one up but can't find a dang thing!

FSTRN
04-30-13, 09:19
I was looking for much the same thing (for many of the same reasons) last year. After a long search I ended up with a Weatherby Vanguard Youth model in .308. It's got a light-profile 20" barrel and a shorter LOP - makes a great brush gun. For overall quality and quality assurance I think it beats similar offerings from Remington and Savage. Their Carbine model has the same barreled action with a longer LOP.
There is also the option of adding a DBM kit. I doubt you can find high-cap for it, but that would be the only drawback IMO. These new Vanguards have smooth, robust actions and excellent out-of-the-box triggers.

Roklok
04-30-13, 18:45
Remington 700 SPS Tactical.

Twisted10
05-14-13, 08:54
wait for the mossberg in 308

takes pmags and ar10 mags.

DireStraits
05-14-13, 09:39

The Remington 700 is so popular, because it has stood the test of time, spare parts availability and tons of aftermarket accessories and support.

aguila327
05-19-13, 05:03
The Remington 700 is so popular, because it has stood the test of time, spare parts availability and tons of aftermarket accessories and support.

Its all about the aftermarket with Remington 700's. I'm a Savage guy but over the years have definately wished for parts and accessories I could only find for the 700.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2