PDA

View Full Version : Not ALL Karate Is Fake...

SteyrAUG
03-26-13, 16:22
Looks like some people in Russia are still doing genuine Kyokushin the old way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rXWMCEKrK38

GeorgiaBoy
03-26-13, 16:45
Is this another one of your posts that doesn't need it's own thread? ;)

On a serious note, this is pretty cool.

JBecker 72
03-26-13, 17:10
Now that's a knockout!

Tapatalk ate my grammar

Honu
03-26-13, 18:03
I am used to seeing Russians spinning around and flipping with a shovel in their hand :)

Moose-Knuckle
03-26-13, 18:09
In the FACE! :eek:

That was pretty slick and beats the holy f**k out of Danielson's "crane". :D

newyork
03-26-13, 18:12
That was sick!

Watrdawg
03-26-13, 19:31
Thats pretty sick!

Magic_Salad0892
03-26-13, 23:13
Steyr, how do you feel about Systema? And do you still practice martial arts?

SteyrAUG
03-26-13, 23:57
Steyr, how do you feel about Systema? And do you still practice martial arts?

I still practice, check the fitness forum for some video fun.

I don't have any direct experience with system but it appears to be a soviet version of the many modern eclectic systems that have evolved since the 60s.

I assume anything used by any modern military is generally practical. I'd caution anyone seeking instruction in such systems however as what is taught commercially is usually far different from the genuine article.

Krav Maga is probably the best example. There are literally thousands of Krav schools in the US with former IDF instructors and I have yet to see ANYONE teaching genuine Krav.

In the Israeli military almost every Krav technique is designed to allow the individual to access their weapon and end the conflict with a firearm. But in the US you won't be hearing your Krav instructor reminding everyone to remember to bring their gun to class. So basically it's all nothing more than another modified MMA concept martial art almost completely unrelated to the purpose of actual Krav Maga which is to fight to your weapon.

GeorgiaBoy
03-27-13, 00:04
I still practice, check the fitness forum for some video fun.

I'll never see you as a emotionless Ron Livingston berating me again. :D

SteyrAUG
03-27-13, 00:22

I knew mentioning that was a bad idea as soon as I hit submit.

:lol:

Magic_Salad0892
03-27-13, 00:24
I knew mentioning that was a bad idea as soon as I hit submit.

It was. Now I have to erase that out of my head, so I can imagine you as Ron again. :(

I got sidetracked and watched the shooting videos (one of 'em) though. Lol.

SteyrAUG
03-27-13, 01:58
It was. Now I have to erase that out of my head, so I can imagine you as Ron again. :(

I got sidetracked and watched the shooting videos (one of 'em) though. Lol.

Would that be the Rob Challenge Match video?

:laugh:

Magic_Salad0892
03-27-13, 02:26
Would that be the Rob Challenge Match video?

:laugh:

With the MP5?

QuickStrike
03-27-13, 06:48
Kyokushin is probably the most legit karate IMO. Some of the students of this style seemed to do very well in K-1.

Isn't that a "rolling thunder" kick?

Sensei
03-27-13, 08:17
That was a good one. I rank it right up there with Anthony Pettis' "The Kick" on Benson Henderson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH7oRb5Knjc

skullworks
03-27-13, 10:35
Krav Maga is probably the best example. There are literally thousands of Krav schools in the US with former IDF instructors and I have yet to see ANYONE teaching genuine Krav.

In the Israeli military almost every Krav technique is designed to allow the individual to access their weapon and end the conflict with a firearm. But in the US you won't be hearing your Krav instructor reminding everyone to remember to bring their gun to class. So basically it's all nothing more than another modified MMA concept martial art almost completely unrelated to the purpose of actual Krav Maga which is to fight to your weapon.
The word around the campfire in these parts is that "real" Krav Maga can only be taught to law enforcement or military personnel. Of course, that makes more sense internationally since carry for personal protection is not at all as common as in the U.S. (pretty much non-existent here in Sweden); therefore teaching civvies to "fight to their weapon" would be pointless.

SteyrAUG
03-27-13, 11:49
With the MP5?

Yeah, I did most of the FDCC shoots with my MP5.

Striker
03-27-13, 11:50
That was a good one. I rank it right up there with Anthony Pettis' "The Kick" on Benson Henderson.

That highlight never gets old. Both Pettis and Ben Henderson are excellent fighters. Looking forward to seeing Henderson versus Gil Melendez. And Pettis finally gets a title shot, though he has to move down in weight to get it; Pettis versus Jose Aldo, should be a great fight.

And my contribution to this thread, from this year's Ultimate Fighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrYmRS59uK8

SteyrAUG
03-27-13, 11:51
The word around the campfire in these parts is that "real" Krav Maga can only be taught to law enforcement or military personnel. Of course, that makes more sense internationally since carry for personal protection is not at all as common as in the U.S. (pretty much non-existent here in Sweden); therefore teaching civvies to "fight to their weapon" would be pointless.

My point was that due to all the reasons you just noted, what is being taught at the local Krav Maga school is not genuine Krav Maga but most people assume it is.

SteyrAUG
03-27-13, 11:54

My god I just cannot listen to that WWF style commentary. It's like watching NASCAR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlnrMBIjFgA

Try Kenji Fujiwara at about 8:31 in his match against Dennis Taylor all the way back in 1979.

skullworks
03-27-13, 12:13
My point was that due to all the reasons you just noted, what is being taught at the local Krav Maga school is not genuine Krav Maga but most people assume it is.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to argue your point (in case I came across as I was) just wanted to add additional information with more of an international spin.

SteyrAUG
03-27-13, 12:20
Sorry, I wasn't trying to argue your point (in case I came across as I was) just wanted to add additional information with more of an international spin.

Wasn't taken as an argument, nor was I trying to start one. Just clarifying.

skullworks
03-27-13, 15:24
Awesome, now back to jump spin kicking (or whatever that move is called).

Scoby
03-27-13, 15:45
Awesome. The physical prowess of some people is amazing.

Karate reminds me of concealed carry…..you don’t know who can bring the heat and who can’t.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-27-13, 15:49

Goddamnit, this was hilarious.

SteyrAUG
03-27-13, 16:05
Goddamnit, this was hilarious.

Credit given, might actually be his best work.