PDA

View Full Version : New to AR and LE

themessenger
03-27-13, 22:41
I was wondering what kind of AR I should get. I am in the market for one so I can do my job. I was thinking an SBR or something along those lines. We will see. I know the market for ARs is crazy right now. Any Suggestions will be appreciated. Please post links.

Airhasz
03-27-13, 22:55
If you are LE I would start by checking to see what manufactures rifles you are allowed to use on the job and go from there.

NY suggestion would be Colt M4 Carbine.

officerX
03-27-13, 22:57
And in case you don't already know, you have to have a tax stamp from the ATF to own an SBR.

thebuckeye
03-27-13, 22:57
You could not have left this anymore open ended than you did here. Most likely the only suggestions you would possibly get now are the posters personal favorites. Add some details and information to make it easier to base recommendations off of.

slamd095
03-27-13, 23:06
If you are LE I would start by checking to see what manufactures rifles you are allowed to use on the job and go from there.

NY suggestion would be Colt M4 Carbine.

See what you are allowed to get. Most Departments have a couple of choices, if any at all.

MistWolf
03-28-13, 00:07
I was wondering what kind of AR I should get. I am in the market for one so I can do my job. I was thinking an SBR or something along those lines. We will see. I know the market for ARs is crazy right now. Any Suggestions will be appreciated. Please post links.

I am not LE or military- I'm just another slobvilian, so keep that in mind.

First, what are your department requirements for a duty carbine? Won't do any good for anyone to recommend something you won't be allowed to carry on duty.

Second, do you know enough to sort out the difference between Colt, BCM and Daniel Defense versus Olympic, DPMS, Bushmaster or Rock River? Not that many will recommend the latter over the former, but if you're not aware of the differences, you won't be asking the right questions.

If you want the simplest answer, get a Colt 6920. If you want to know why, that will take a little longer and the answer starts with using the orange SEARCH button above.

Welcome to m4carbine.net

themessenger
03-30-13, 15:07
I decided to go with the KA SR-15. Now I need some suggestions for optics, slings, battle gear, ect... I see myself using this extensively in the near future, so I wanted the best.

Zane1844
03-30-13, 15:17
I decided to go with the KA SR-15. Now I need some suggestions for optics, slings, battle gear, ect... I see myself using this extensively in the near future, so I wanted the best.

Well, all this info is easy to find but: Aimpoint T1, VCAS or VTACs sling.

And battle gear? I do not know, I thought Police were issued that stuff, or something.

T2C
03-30-13, 15:22
I have about 8 years experience with a Wilderness sling on a patrol carbine. It is a decent sling, but has it's limitations. My personal rifle has a modified HK93 sling, which is much simpler. I like a long 2 point sling that I can extend quickly. I also prefer a sling that has no material between me and the bolt release when I have the rifle slung in front of me. I have seen more than a few people have problems with the slings that are designed to have a strap located closely along the left side of the rifle. They had issues with the sling strap interfering with the bolt release.

You will get a lot of opinions about optics. I have an Aimpoint ML2 mounted on my patrol carbine. It has been reliable over the past 15 years and can do everything I want to do out to 300 yards.

There are a lot of magazines on the market. I have had good luck with Brownell's magazines and have a few made by D&H. I don't know what your department policy is on magazines; my agency issues 3 with a carbine which is not uncommon in my area. If you can carry personally purchased magazines, I would suggest having at least 6 magazines with your duty gear. If a magazine goes south on you, it does not hurt to have more than two spares.