PDA

View Full Version : Spring

texasgunhand
03-27-13, 23:27
After ordering a sprinco buffer spring, and looking at the stock spring.

I spent the last ten years setting up car heads, mostly for higher end apps. That turn extreme rpm and open valves a lot more than say stock springs can take before coil bind occurs. So the CS springs and what they do and their run life isnt a new thing to me.

But any way, It seems to me that the stock spring will get really close to coil bind when recoil is happening, It looks to me as if the coils are to close together on a stock spring, and the stock spring Iam using is brand new. Iam thinking of ordering a Colt spring to see if theres any difference in it and the spring my m-400 had in it.

Just something I noticed,and coil bind is a bad thing...Is coil bind poss.in an AR platform?

Iraqgunz
03-28-13, 01:33
Too much thinking going on here. I know that there are plenty of others who have used them aside from me and they have proven 100% reliable. Every single AR I own has a Springco spring in it.

BufordTJustice
03-28-13, 03:02
Standard Carbine springs in an AR15 can approach solid compressed height, but they will not coil bind unless a rifle-length spring is used in a carbine receiver extension tube.

The Springco springs are GTG. I've sent several to friends who have been (and some still are) outside the wire in A-stan and they always perform better than stock.

Install new spring, shoot, and enjoy. Gunz is right...Springco is GTG for hard use.

markm
03-28-13, 08:42
This is the beauty of the Rifle or A5 buffer system. Much lower percentage of compression. Longer spring and "tube", but it still only compressed the same distance in the cycle.

texasgunhand
03-28-13, 14:26
OHH no iam not saying that Sprinco is no good. I like the feel of it right outa the tube compared to the stock spring, Iam saying its GTG.

I just noticed that the coils are further apart on the sprinco than the stock spring ,and thats a good thing.You should get better compression on the sprinco and longer life as they say..

It reminded me of the difference in a stock valve spring on a car head, compared to say a Comp. cam or Crane cam spring that is for more lift or opening of the valve.

IE larger camshaft pushes the vave open further and a stock spring would then bind and break over time. I do now see the difference in how much shorter the carbine spring buffer is verses the rifle. And why the A5buffer system could be better.

I havent got a chance to shoot it yet, but can tell its stronger than my stock spring, even though its the "white" one, and has a more buffered feeling when pulling the charge handle back, It just feels better and MUCH smoother...there is no feel of bind when the charge handle is racked back..

I spent the extra 2 bucks and got their 5 coil extr. spring with it, Just couldnt pass it up since the shippings so high. The company its self is close to my house and it was here the next day. Would have went there and picked it up ,but were its located in Austin is a bad part of town. Any way just some thoughts on it and cant wait to try it out. If I could just get some spare ammo...lol..

BTW and off subject but I have now heard of people paying 250.00 bucks for a brick of .22....REALLY..wow.

BufordTJustice
03-28-13, 18:44
I use the Springco 5 coil extractor spring exclusively in my rifles. It is simply outstanding and has tamed even some finicky piston guns as well.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2