PDA

View Full Version : bolt carrier markings

Neville
03-28-13, 13:37
Any chance one could identify who the manufacturer of a bolt carrier is?

Airhasz
03-28-13, 13:41
Post pics of said carrier for ID.

Neville
03-28-13, 13:54
I am going to shop for one soon, so wanted to know what to look out for. Way too much "milspec" stuff advertised here...

AKDoug
03-28-13, 14:04
I have Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, Fail Zero and Colt BCGs.

The Daniel Defense (came directly from DD) has a laser etched DD on the carrier. The bolt is not marked in any way.

The Bravo Company has laser etched BCM on the carrier, the bolt is marked MP/HPT

The Fail Zero has no markings at all on any part.

The Colt has a C stamped on the carrier, C and MP on the bolt.

I've heard that DPMS stamps their carriers with a D. A stylized D is the old Canadian Dimeaco (Colt Canada now)

You are going to play hell trying to figure out what is what in the BCG world.

Onyx Z
03-28-13, 14:08
My BCM BCG is marked as such on both the carrier and bolt. Regardless, make sure the bolt is marked HP/MPI and nothing is marked 'RG' for RGuns.

markm
03-28-13, 14:25
My BCM BCG is marked as such on both the carrier and bolt. Regardless, make sure the bolt is marked HP/MPT and nothing is marked 'RG' for RGuns.

Are those garbage? I almost bought one on the auctions. :eek:

Onyx Z
03-28-13, 14:32

thats the word on the streetssss...;)

Iraqgunz
03-28-13, 14:40
The only way to really to know is by sticking with the known brands (Colt, DD, BCM, or LMT). Any of the other companies you need to see what the specs are. I would almost want to ask for certifications as well.

I am going to shop for one soon, so wanted to know what to look out for. Way too much "milspec" stuff advertised here...

markm
03-28-13, 14:40
Glad I didn't get one. :eek:

AKDoug
03-28-13, 19:49
My BCM BCG is marked as such on both the carrier and bolt. Regardless, make sure the bolt is marked HP/MPI and nothing is marked 'RG' for RGuns.

I saw an R Guns BCG on Gunbroker today that had RG stamped on the side.

sdelam
03-29-13, 07:15
My PSA BCG is stamped RG on the carrier. Its worked fine so far.

tpevan
03-29-13, 13:14
The Daniel Defense (came directly from DD) has a laser etched DD on the carrier. The bolt is not marked in any way.

Early Daniel Defense BCGs (around 08-09, when they first started hitting the market) do not have a DD on the carrier and no markings on the bolt.

freefly
03-30-13, 19:56
There are also BCGs that are GTG but with carriers that are unmarked, or the proof marked ground off. This is the case when a company gets their BCG's from another manufacturer. For example, I have an older M16 BCG that was made by FN, and the markings were ground off.

K_K
03-30-13, 20:25
i have a delton hp/mpi tested m16 carrier. looked over the bolt carrier and couldnt find any markings that stood out but found a very faint "MP" on the bolt assembly. ill post pics once my dang phone gets charged up

http://www.del-ton.com/M_16_Bolt_and_Carrier_p/bc1046.htm

Iraqgunz
03-30-13, 20:58
If it was made by FN then it's not a Colt BCG. There was some debate as to how those FN items made it to the streets since they are not allowed to sell certain items commercially.

There are also BCGs that are GTG but with carriers that are unmarked, or the proof marked ground off. This is the case when a company gets their BCG's from another manufacturer. For example, I have an older Colt M16 BCG that was made by FN, and the markings were ground off.

Iraqgunz
03-30-13, 21:03
FN carriers (at least those I have seen) are marked with an F. The bolts are marked MP F with an underscore under the F. DPMS carriers are marked with a D or two small dots.

03-30-13, 21:32
FN carriers (at least those I have seen) are marked with an F. The bolts are marked MP F with an underscore under the F.

Just bought a supposed FN bolt that is MPF with the P being underscored. Ever seen one like this?

Iraqgunz
03-30-13, 22:44
No that's a new one. The one I have here at the house is marked MPF and also has the copper MILSPEC extractor spring and black insert. I wonder if yours is some kind of Palmetto deal?

Just bought a supposed FN bolt that is MPF with the P being underscored. Ever seen one like this?

Iraqgunz
03-30-13, 22:46
Check the various threads Del-ton bolts where the locking lugs virtually disappeared during some type of shooting malfunction. One was even attempted to be passed off and sent back to BCM.

From what I saw the bolt markings were the same or similar.

i have a delton hp/mpi tested m16 carrier. looked over the bolt carrier and couldnt find any markings that stood out but found a very faint "MP" on the bolt assembly. ill post pics once my dang phone gets charged up

http://www.del-ton.com/M_16_Bolt_and_Carrier_p/bc1046.htm

Packman73
03-30-13, 22:52
I won't know for a while (won't put the rifle together for several more years) but I bought one for my son's rifle; only one I could find after Sandy Hook. Looks like every other BCG. Proper staking at least.

jwperry
03-31-13, 00:39
Toolcraft stamps their carriers with their cage code. Their bolts should be etched with MPI.
My LMT carriers are unmarked and their bolt markings vary; I've even had LMT bolts with BM etched onto them. These are legit LMT bolts from a known good online distributor. Others have had BF, BP and I think FP.
Spikes' will have their carriers laser etched with their spider(newer ones from 08 or 09 and up) and their bolts will be laser etched MPI/HP. Spikes' older BCGs were made by Rock River. You can identify those by their lateral line "staking". It isn't really a staking, more a witness mark so that you can verify when it starts to rotate.
I can't remember my CMT BCG having any markings? I didn't have it long as the host rifle was crap and was sold soon after purchase.

Iraqgunz
03-31-13, 00:49
Oh yes, forgot about Toolcraft. I believe it's 1B1B6 and some BCM carriers are marked 342X6.

The LMT ones aren't an enigma really. They generally have 2 letter codes on them like AJ, AY, etc... I thought they had MP markings on them. But, I can't remember since I rarely use them due to lack of availability. CMT bolts are marked faintly with the letters CM on the bolt. The carriers are not marked to my knowledge.

Toolcraft stamps their carriers with their cage code. Their bolts should be etched with MPI.
My LMT carriers are unmarked and their bolt markings vary; I've even had LMT bolts with BM etched onto them. These are legit LMT bolts from a known good online distributor. Others have had BF, BP and I think FP.
Spikes' will have their carriers laser etched with their spider(newer ones from 08 or 09 and up) and their bolts will be laser etched MPI/HP. Spikes' older BCGs were made by Rock River. You can identify those by their lateral line "staking". It isn't really a staking, more a witness mark so that you can verify when it starts to rotate.
I can't remember my CMT BCG having any markings? I didn't have it long as the host rifle was crap and was sold soon after purchase.

freefly
03-31-13, 02:11
If it was made by FN then it's not a Colt BCG. There was some debate as to how those FN items made it to the streets since they are not allowed to sell certain items commercially.
Duh, I knew that! It was an FN M16 BCG that I ended up putting in a Colt, hence the mix-up (post edited, sorry for the confusion). Not sure, but I am guessing that FN suppliers sold excess/over-runs/etc. with the proof mark ground off to remove any evidence that they were designated for FN, as to not get caught violating the Colt/FN non-compete agreement.

Bottom line for the OP is that if you see a carrier in the wild without any markings (ala LMT) or with the markings ground off (ala some FNs), it isn't an automatic red-flag that it's a sub-par BCG.

Iraqgunz
03-31-13, 02:13
I don't think they would do that and risk getting slammed by the government. The money that they would make wouldn't be worth the risk.

Duh, I knew that! It was an FN M16 BCG that I ended up putting in a Colt, hence the mix-up (post edited, sorry for the confusion). Not sure, but I am guessing that FN suppliers sold excess/over-runs/etc. with the proof mark ground off to remove any evidence that they were designated for FN, as to not get caught violating the Colt/FN non-compete agreement.

Bottom line for the OP is that if you see a carrier in the wild without any markings (ala LMT) or with the markings ground off (ala some FNs), it isn't an automatic red-flag that it's a sub-par BCG.

jwperry
03-31-13, 02:27
Oh yes, forgot about Toolcraft. I believe it's 1B1B6 and some BCM carriers are marked 342X6.

The LMT ones aren't an enigma really. They generally have 2 letter codes on them like AJ, AY, etc... I thought they had MP markings on them. But, I can't remember since I rarely use them due to lack of availability. CMT bolts are marked faintly with the letters CM on the bolt. The carriers are not marked to my knowledge.

I have 4 or so LMT bolts at my house, I can check to see if they are MP marked when I get home from work.

freefly
03-31-13, 02:34
FN carriers (at least those I have seen) are marked with an F. The bolts are marked MP F with an underscore under the F. DPMS carriers are marked with a D or two small dots.
I have on that is clearly marked FN, but the one I mentioned earlier with the "ground off" proof mark has a very faint "F" (only) that you can see. I think it may just be a difference is their suppliers, but who knows...

freefly
03-31-13, 02:41
I don't think they would do that and risk getting slammed by the government. The money that they would make wouldn't be worth the risk.
They (FN) probably had little control on what their suppliers did with over-runs and/or returned lots. The government could care less I would imagine. Colt's legal team on the other had probably has a different stance on the matter!

It may have been a non-sanctioned maneuver by one or more individuals working for an FN supplier that “acquired” a large batch/lot of BCGs and proceeded to grind off the proof marks to help mitigate the evidence trail. Would be interesting to know the real story...

freefly
03-31-13, 02:50
The two I have here are marked "MP" ;)

Iraqgunz
03-31-13, 04:22
I guess you misunderstood. FN cannot provide any parts other than barrels (AFAIK) to anyone outside of the military. They are still under contract producing M16A4's and soon M4A1 carbines.

Again, I may be wrong but that is my understanding.

They (FN) probably had little control on what their suppliers did with over-runs and/or returned lots. The government could care less I would imagine. Colt's legal team on the other had probably has a different stance on the matter!

It may have been a non-sanctioned maneuver by one or more individuals working for an FN supplier that “acquired” a large batch/lot of BCGs and proceeded to grind off the proof marks to help mitigate the evidence trail. Would be interesting to know the real story...

K_K
03-31-13, 10:42
Check the various threads Del-ton bolts where the locking lugs virtually disappeared during some type of shooting malfunction. One was even attempted to be passed off and sent back to BCM.

From what I saw the bolt markings were the same or similar.

hmm i will have to check that out. the delton i got has never had a malfunction and its lasted me a couple years and only recently have i begun to understand more about ARs so i may still deal with delton in the future or i may just keep this one where its at and buy hire quality for my next AR projects. im more inclined to buy higher quality for my other AR projects since i got the time and the money will come eventually.

Retiredbroke
04-01-13, 17:12
Does anyone know if Noveske ever used a carrier marked "F" ?

Iraqgunz
04-01-13, 17:14
My first Noveske upper that I purchased back in early 2007 had a CMT BCG in as far as I can recall. Why not ask Noveske yourself? I am sure that they would know.

Retiredbroke
04-01-13, 18:05
My first Noveske upper that I purchased back in early 2007 had a CMT BCG in as far as I can recall. Why not ask Noveske yourself? I am sure that they would know.

When I called Noveske and asked if they used bolt carriers marked "F" the woman went to ask someone and came back and said "it's marked MP". I explained to her that that was the bolt and not the carrier and she said "Uh well I don't think so". Not a convincing conversation to say the least. My two factory Noveskes have unmarked carriers so I did a search and found nothing, then thought I would ask here. Thanks for the help.

freefly
04-01-13, 18:56
I guess you misunderstood. FN cannot provide any parts other than barrels (AFAIK) to anyone outside of the military. They are still under contract producing M16A4's and soon M4A1 carbines.

Again, I may be wrong but that is my understanding.
No, I gotcha. I am fully aware of FN's TDP for the M16, as well as their non-compete (and drawn out legal battle) with Colt.

All I was suggesting is that FN doesn't have complete control over their sub-contractors, hence all of the FN BCG's out in the wild (both marked, and with the marks ground off). It is/was likely a FN sub-contractor who sold the BCG's (and uppers, etc.) out the "back door" so-to-speak. It had to be somebody, as they are obviously available out there on the secondary/commercial market. Although, I am guessing a substantial percentage of them out there are likely from DRMO sales and "acquisitions" from GI's as well.

P.S. - Sorry for the thread derailment, lol.

freefly
04-01-13, 19:07
Not that I have ever heard of. Should either be "N" marked or unmarked.

Retiredbroke
04-01-13, 21:57
Not that I have ever heard of. Should either be "N" marked or unmarked.

Thanks.

Iraqgunz
04-01-13, 23:57
To the best of my knowledge as I stated before they use CMT BCG's. CMT marks their bolts with CM= Continental Machine.

I think the last CMT bolt I saw also had an MP marking on it.

When I called Noveske and asked if they used bolt carriers marked "F" the woman went to ask someone and came back and said "it's marked MP". I explained to her that that was the bolt and not the carrier and she said "Uh well I don't think so". Not a convincing conversation to say the least. My two factory Noveskes have unmarked carriers so I did a search and found nothing, then thought I would ask here. Thanks for the help.

jwperry
04-02-13, 00:16
The two I have here are marked "MP" ;)

Mine all have MP as well.
I thought I had replied to the thread, but it looks like I closed the app on my phone before the post had been made. Oops.

Nathan K
09-12-23, 21:38
I know I am resurrecting an old post but I figured it would better ask in this one than to create a new post. I got a random BCG that came to me in a trade with an otherwise factory BCM rifle. I’m guessing the previous owner bought a complete lower, and then a stripped upper and added the BCG to it. The carrier itself has no markings, however, it has a circle with a six (or 9) marked on the carrier key. The only other markings are MPI imprinted on the bolt. Anybody have any idea what brand it might be? I’m trying to determine if it’s decent or if it’s junk and should be relegated to a spare.