View Full Version : Acceptable (digital) form of FFL for transfer?

nickdrak
03-28-13, 17:19
I have not sold many firearms online or otherwise to an out of state buyer who I needed to ship the firearm to a FFL to be transferred in the past and Im wondering if a cellphone pic of an FFL is sufficient?

I sold a pistol on GB and the buyer's FFL sent me a cellphone pic of his license. While the FFLs address and name is legible in the pic, parts of the license are cut off and obscured by the flash or ceiling lights:confused:

The wording on the license states: "A faxed, scanned, or emailed copy of the license with a signature intended to be an original signature is acceptable." For me a cellphone pic doesn't meet this standard.

Thanks for any advice.

polymorpheous
03-28-13, 17:36
If parts of the license is obscured I would think it's a no go.

AKDoug
03-28-13, 17:38
I take Iphone pictures of house drawing all the time and email them. There is no reason he shouldn't be able to get a fully detailed pic to you. A picture is as good as a photo copy faxed to you.

mrvco
03-28-13, 18:07
As long as you can read it, it's no different than a Fax-to-Email, scanned PDF or whatever.

buckjay
03-28-13, 18:16
Can you see his license number? I would punch it in and verify it with this site: https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

And if it all matches up and you're shipping to the FFL's address on file (which matches on the ATF website) then I'd say you're good to go.

tarkeg
03-28-13, 18:17
Crappy cell phone pics aren't the right way. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to get a clear scan of the FFL emailed to you. Fax works, but the emailed PDF is better.

Palmguy
03-28-13, 18:26
Can you see his license number? I would punch it in and verify it with this site: https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

And if it all matches up and you're shipping to the FFL's address on file (which matches on the ATF website) then I'd say you're good to go.

Agreed. If you can verify you are shipping to the legit address, that's all that matters.

nickdrak
03-28-13, 18:50
Thanks guys, verified it thru the FFL-eZ-check website. Im good to go.

PA PATRIOT
03-28-13, 19:00
A ink signed in hand copy of a FFL verified Thu the FFL-eZ-check website leaves no doubt if the ATF comes a knocking.

Degs
03-28-13, 19:32
Just to chime in and add, if anybody needs a decent photo app/scan app and has an iPhone, I highly recommend Genius Scan. It's free, it crops, rotates etc. I use it for documents all the time.

And no, I'm not affiliated. Just a way handy app to have.