PDA

View Full Version : Last stripped lower. 16" build comments, please.

Mauser KAR98K
03-29-13, 02:26
Hey everyone. Building my next lead slinger. Going for a lighter carbine build than my 11 pound Noveske/LMT MRP Hybrid (Though it will still be my go to as it runs like a champ). Just seeking critques, advice, comments as I slowy get parts, and decide the path I want to take.

I am looking for this to be a fun carbine and to do some minor coyote hunting. Really just another rifle to take up space in the safe, but filling a small requirement for a lighter carbine.

Thus far I am using my last stripped lower that I got for $100 before the panic began (Double Star). Already have a Daniel Defense Govt. Profile 16" carbine barrel coming, along with a Bravo B5 stock, dust cover and forward assist. (Already have a blem BCM upper). Tango down handgrip attachted, and an ALS trigger installed.

Looking for pros and cons of going with another free float carbine (my LMT is a 14.5" free-float), go with a dissipator, or with an M4 RIS rail system over the front sight.

Real stupid question: Are the Daniel Defense Omega rails free float?

Thanks.

Pimp my gun ideas.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8230/8600021882_f12ab65c4b_b.jpg

Closest way to make a "free float" barrel with rails Pimp My Gun provides. Centurion or a LaRue could fit the bill. 12" or 10" for weight?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/8598922675_56a7402304_b.jpg

Thank you for the input.

polymorpheous
03-29-13, 03:25
Both the Omega and Omega X line are free floated.

ASH556
03-29-13, 09:04
None of those options are very light weight. I'd look at the Noveske NSR if I wanted something really light and handy.

Alex V
03-29-13, 11:12
a low profile gas block should be lighter than a front site post.

a smooth rail should be lighter than a quad-rail as well.

if you are looking for something lighter than your current setup, those may work, but if you are looking for a rifle that is as light as you can get it, there are better choices out there as mentioned before.

Mauser KAR98K
03-29-13, 14:45
I have thought of going with the Troy Alpha series and going the very light route, however I'm not keen on recoil impulses, and my thinking has been that making the rifle lighter, you get more recoil. Am I wrong with this? Can heavy buffers, springs, and comps take some of the recoil out?

My Noveske/LMT rifle comes in at a little over 11 pounds, but there is very little recoil impulse coming from the rifle. Same with my MK12 semi clone (14-16 pound rifle).

I will put it this way: going lighter for me will be about 7-9 pounds compared to what I have using before.

ETA: I will be getting the new BCM Comp for this build.

Current go to carbine: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8060/8174208661_ae968a89ed_b.jpg

Mauser KAR98K
03-29-13, 14:46
Both the Omega and Omega X line are free floated.

Thanks for clarifying.

polymorpheous
03-29-13, 16:26
Are you looking to have a FSB on your new build?

Mauser KAR98K
03-29-13, 16:48
Are you looking to have a FSB on your new build?

It has crossed my mind, but looking at getting one stripped looks to be a pain and a half to get the taper pins and install it.

Zane1844
03-29-13, 17:28
With a LW barrel 16" and 9" Omega X rail my new Carbine is very light. I also have The Bravo stock.

The Omega X rail is very light, around 9oz I believe. I'm on my phone so if that weight is wrong I'll correct it later.

BrigandTwoFour
03-29-13, 19:20
I think a better way to lighten up the recoil will come from the internals rather than the weight (since you said this was meant to be a weight-conscience build).

For the handguard, I would go Samson Evolution (or the Rainier variant), Fortis REV, NSR, or hold out for the new smooth-sided Centurion Arms one.

Combine that with a good-performing brake (MSTN, Z-Comp, Seekins, whatever) and solid buffer system and you should feel practically nothing as far as recoil and have a lightweight to boot.