PDA

View Full Version : Free shotguns for high crime areas

tb-av
03-29-13, 11:29
http://www.newser.com/story/165209/tucson-group-will-give-free-shotguns-to-residents.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=clearchannel&utm_campaign=story

Shotgun - $750
Ammo --- $100
Training - $250

All free from the Government - Priceless!

officerX
03-29-13, 11:33
W
T
F

jpmuscle
03-29-13, 11:53
I love the audacity of it. And if you read the more in depth articles its only the uber libs that are getting their panties in a bunch over it. Their doing exactly what most of if not all of is support on here, puting guns into the hands of law abiding citizens that want them and want to get trained with them. Considering what govt wastes money on actually advocating for and promoting the 2A is a welcomed relief IMO.

tb-av
03-29-13, 12:01
I'm wondering how Biden is going to play this one. He was insistent... "get yourself a shotgun... get yourself a shotgun"

a0cake
03-29-13, 12:24
Maybe not the best idea. Think about this; the act of taking the initiative to go out, acquire and pay for a firearm for personal defense tends to self-select a certain type of individual -- more serious, more responsible, and more likely to be the type of person who will be a benefit rather than a threat to society when armed. Of course this isn't a deterministic rule, but I think it's generally true. I can't help but think that when you take this self-selection mechanism away, the type of person who will take up this offer for a free shotgun will be generally inferior to someone who took the initiative to save and plan. This isn't bias against the poor. I don't think the people participating in this initiative are so poor that they couldn't have, if they chose to, made a firearms purchase for self-defense.

I'm open to counterarguments, but this was my initial reaction.

currahee
03-29-13, 12:30
The article says $400 for person, inclusive of gun ammo and training. And, according to other articles I have read on the subject it was raised outside of tax dollars.

No doubt that a shotgun is the cheapest way to get into effective home defense, but I agree that removing (much) of the personal initiative to defend oneself seems not very bright.

streck
03-29-13, 12:32
He raised the money. It is not coming from the government. Those participating have to volunteer, pass a background check, and take training.
But not at the expense of the government/taxpayer as it is funded by donations and contributors.

tb-av
03-29-13, 13:13
There are some people that can't afford the luxury of a weapon, ammo and training. I expect those "costs" mentioned are offset by donations of weapons and training that the average person would not otherwise have access to.

This is 'high crime area". That usually also means "low income area" so many probably have the choice between guns or food.

... and some here would say even if they had the initiative to get their own gun, they would be better off without one if they don't get training.

Soo... you gotta start somewhere. I see nothing wrong with firearms charity done in proper order.

There is no more likelihood of "something going wrong" than a person going out on their own and doing it ( quite possibly in the wrong manner ).