PDA

View Full Version : Good Price on this CORE15 M4?

anotherdaze1
03-29-13, 17:17
Does anyone have information on this rifle? I've not been able to find one in 2013 for obvious reasons and I don't want to pay too much for it. $1245 seems the lowest I can find it in stock.

Here's a couple I've found: http://www.firearmsforsale.com/core15-m4-piston-rifle-ffs/?utm_source=homepage1

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_1085/products_id/411548156

I appreciate your suggestions!

grantw1221
03-29-13, 17:39
Seems like a good price. Best price I could get on one is $1275 out the door

taliv
03-29-13, 18:12
hopefully this doesn't come across as too subtle, but CORE15 are probably the lowest quality AR15s I have ever seen in quantity and i qualified that only because vulcan/hesse are so rare I've only actually seen one or two in person.

$650 is too much for it. $1245 qualifies for temporary insanity, though you can still check "no" on the 4473 question about adjudicated mentally defective until they find out and adjudicate you.

ShermanM4
03-29-13, 19:40
hopefully this doesn't come across as too subtle, but CORE15 are probably the lowest quality AR15s I have ever seen in quantity and i qualified that only because vulcan/hesse are so rare I've only actually seen one or two in person.

$650 is too much for it. $1245 qualifies for temporary insanity, though you can still check "no" on the 4473 question about adjudicated mentally defective until they find out and adjudicate you.

Explain what is poor quality about them... Seriously, from looking at their specs, looks gtg to me.

Hmac
03-29-13, 19:55
Explain what is poor quality about them... Seriously, from looking at their specs, looks gtg to me.

They are in the Bushmaster/DPMS/RRA category of consumer-grade rifles. Very suitable as a non-critical range plinker. If that's your use for it, it should serve you well. Parts sourcing and quality control standards are what sets those rifles apart from BCM, DD, Noveske, Colt, LMT.

rdmega
03-29-13, 20:00
If you do want just a plinker/range use gun, I work at a local Sportsman's Warehouse (they havent been jacking up prices) We got these in for $699 and they sat for a week! This was last week, also had Delton Middy's with MOE furniture for $799. I would not pay more than that for them, you can still find 6920's on our local classifieds for $1500 new in box.

jstalford
03-29-13, 20:03
Even if its decent, I have seen 6920s in stock recently for that much.

murphman
03-29-13, 20:08
Buy a BCM upper complete with BCG and charging handle as they come in stock regularly and dont sell out super fast.

Purchase a PSA stripped lower as these too come in stock multiple times a week and dont sell out super fast. Then purchase LPK and install it or have someone install it. You will have a complete quality rifle under $1100

NeoNeanderthal
03-29-13, 20:11
I have handled and fired them, and they are WORSE than DPMS, bushy ext.

I would totally buy one if i could find one for under 400 bucks. Anything over that is just retarded.

1200 is INSANE. just subscribe to the official where can i get it thread. ALMOST everyday a bcm upper comes in-stock, and lowers come instock at PSA. You could build a REALLY bad ass gun for 1200 dollars.
A friend of mine just bought (2 weeks ago) a m400 from sig for 1200 dollars. Even if you want a range gun, dont support a company like CORE, buy a real gun.

People buy shit like that, it doesnt work, then they blame it on the design of the AR system and it adds to it's bad name. It's not an ak, you cant buy a shitty one and expect it to work.

polymorpheous
03-29-13, 20:35
Who?

How many no name companies are churning out junk AR's now a days?

jstalford
03-29-13, 20:41
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=311054

NeoNeanderthal
03-29-13, 20:51

That is SUCH a better option! Thank you for posting that.

If you dont want to build your own or hunt down any parts thats the way to go right now. (unless you can find a colt, dd, or bcm gun)

C4IGrant
03-29-13, 22:10
That is SUCH a better option! Thank you for posting that.

If you dont want to build your own or hunt down any parts thats the way to go right now. (unless you can find a colt, dd, or bcm gun)

Right you are! This guns owns about 80% of the AR's made currently.

C4

anotherdaze1
03-30-13, 10:53

That gun looks solid. I have a S&W and have never had issues with it in the past. But I'm glad you guys are sharing why these other brands just don't live up to the AR15 name.

eperk
03-30-13, 11:22
Getting back on topic. There is no "good price" for a Core 15. Unless it's less than $200.

ShermanM4
03-30-13, 12:21
That gun looks solid. I have a S&W and have never had issues with it in the past. But I'm glad you guys are sharing why these other brands just don't live up to the AR15 name.

How does the S&W live up to the "AR15" name?

-Does S&W indivdually (or even batch) HPT/MPI? There is no mention of it.
-Is the barrel 11595E steel? If so, why not state it?
-F marked FSB? May not matter being a mid-length, but are carbine S&W F marked?
-H buffer? Maybe not a big deal on the midlength, but do their carbine have them?
-Castel nut staked?
-Bolt carpetner 158?
-How well is the gas key staked?
-It's 1/8 twist, so it's not ".mil spec"
-Barrel is "Melonite" coated and not ".mil-spec" chrome lined

Im shocked S&W's don't get trashed on this forum for not being 100% on everything like the BCM, DD, Colt, LMT, LWRC, etc...

C4IGrant
03-30-13, 13:14
How does the S&W live up to the "AR15" name?

-Does S&W indivdually (or even batch) HPT/MPI? There is no mention of it.

Batch HPT and MPI EVERY bolt.

-Is the barrel 11595E steel? If so, why not state it?

CMV 5R on the Magpul and VTAC AR's.

-F marked FSB? May not matter being a mid-length, but are carbine S&W F marked?

F marked on both the carbine and middy AR's.

-H buffer? Maybe not a big deal on the midlength, but do their carbine have them?

No H buffers used on any of the guns.

-Castel nut staked?

Yes.

-Bolt carpetner 158?

Yes.

-How well is the gas key staked?

Properly staked.

-It's 1/8 twist, so it's not ".mil spec"

This is a personal choice and while not "Mil-Spec," it is an EXCELLENT twist rate ane one that I prefer.

-Barrel is "Melonite" coated and not ".mil-spec" chrome lined

True. It is the way barrels are going though and in the future .Mil solicitations will require it (do to the EPA). While the "longevity" jury is still out IMHO, this is the way to go.

Im shocked S&W's don't get trashed on this forum for not being 100% on everything like the BCM, DD, Colt, LMT, LWRC, etc...

S&W AR's have come a long way. They continue to improve their guns and offer configurations that you don't see from other AR manufacturers. That coupled with their price puts them above all other common AR's (BM, DPMS, Armalite, RRA, Oly, etc).

They are a solid choice in the AR world (especially the ones with the 1/8 CMV 5R barrels).

C4

crowkiller
03-30-13, 13:49
Grant will a Melonited barrel be more accurate than a chrome lined since its a surface treatment and not a lining?

C4IGrant
03-30-13, 14:02
Grant will a Melonited barrel be more accurate than a chrome lined since its a surface treatment and not a lining?

In my experience, yes.

C4

ShermanM4
03-30-13, 14:41
Batch HPT and MPI EVERY bolt.

CMV 5R on the Magpul and VTAC AR's.

F marked on both the carbine and middy AR's.

No H buffers used on any of the guns.

Yes.

Yes.

Properly staked.

This is a personal choice and while not "Mil-Spec," it is an EXCELLENT twist rate ane one that I prefer.

True. It is the way barrels are going though and in the future .Mil solicitations will require it (do to the EPA). While the "longevity" jury is still out IMHO, this is the way to go.

S&W AR's have come a long way. They continue to improve their guns and offer configurations that you don't see from other AR manufacturers. That coupled with their price puts them above all other common AR's (BM, DPMS, Armalite, RRA, Oly, etc).

They are a solid choice in the AR world (especially the ones with the 1/8 CMV 5R barrels).

C4

It just seems to me S&W gets sort of a "pass" here for not being 100% like DD, BCM, Colt, LMT, LWRC, etc., Where other AR company's do not. Here are two examples.

Delton extreme duty 316
Windam Weaponry

You say how S&W has come a long way, well what about the Delton 316? Check out the tech spec on their page and it is pretty clear it's better than the S&W.

I posted about the Delton 316 awhile back and it got ripped apart and locked. https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-108308.html

Is Delton not allowed to improve because of their past? I know Delton has some "lesser" models, but so does S&W!

S&W now has dropped their 1/8 5R from the sport line, went with a 1/9 twist and 4140 barrels... You think they MPI/HPT all their bolts and barrels all the sport? Is the barrel even melonite coated?

Why don't they have high standards for all their rifles like the "top tier" guys?

The WW rifles.
-They don't have the "H" buffer, like the S&W doesn't.
-They don't have a 1/7 twist, like the S&W doesn't.

-S&W HPT/MPI tests ALL their bolts
-WW batch tests bolts
There isn't much argument here; individual testing is better quality control... Still it would be interesting to see how many fail the tests.

-S&W had a .mil spec receiver ext.
-WW commercial receiver ext.

-S&W F FSB
-WW A2 FSB

However,

-WW uses 11595E barrel steel on ALL their rifles
-S&W CMV 5R on "some" and how does this compare to the machine gun .mil spec 11595E?

-WW Chrome lined on ALL their barrels.
-S&W melonite on "some" of their barrels.

-WW M16 bolt carrier.
-S&W AR15 carrier.

WW rifle's get trashed here for being junk.

Like I said, it just seems most people here are all or nothing. Anything that doesn’t meet the strict standards is un-trust worthy and should be used for a plinker only. So S&W should be lumped in with the rest, right?

That’s your right to feel that way, but I am not with most of you on that. I think most any AR15 being made now (with a few exceptions, Carbon-15 comes to mind) will be adequate to protect you and your family in a civilian environment.

I am not trying to say that all AR’s are equal. DD, BCM ,Colt, Noveske, LMT, LWRC, Larue, etc are top of the line and I personally would rather have those over other brands. I just don’t believe the so called “commercial” company AR’s are THAT far behind to make a significant difference…

Again, my opinion only.

C4IGrant
03-30-13, 17:07
It just seems to me S&W gets sort of a "pass" here for not being 100% like DD, BCM, Colt, LMT, LWRC, etc., Where other AR company's do not. Here are two examples.

Delton extreme duty 316
Windam Weaponry

You say how S&W has come a long way, well what about the Delton 316? Check out the tech spec on their page and it is pretty clear it's better than the S&W.

I posted about the Delton 316 awhile back and it got ripped apart and locked. https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-108308.html

Is Delton not allowed to improve because of their past? I know Delton has some "lesser" models, but so does S&W!

S&W now has dropped their 1/8 5R from the sport line, went with a 1/9 twist and 4140 barrels... You think they MPI/HPT all their bolts and barrels all the sport? Is the barrel even melonite coated?

Why don't they have high standards for all their rifles like the "top tier" guys?

The WW rifles.
-They don't have the "H" buffer, like the S&W doesn't.
-They don't have a 1/7 twist, like the S&W doesn't.

-S&W HPT/MPI tests ALL their bolts
-WW batch tests bolts
There isn't much argument here; individual testing is better quality control... Still it would be interesting to see how many fail the tests.

-S&W had a .mil spec receiver ext.
-WW commercial receiver ext.

-S&W F FSB
-WW A2 FSB

However,

-WW uses 11595E barrel steel on ALL their rifles
-S&W CMV 5R on "some" and how does this compare to the machine gun .mil spec 11595E?

-WW Chrome lined on ALL their barrels.
-S&W melonite on "some" of their barrels.

-WW M16 bolt carrier.
-S&W AR15 carrier.

WW rifle's get trashed here for being junk.

Like I said, it just seems most people here are all or nothing. Anything that doesn’t meet the strict standards is un-trust worthy and should be used for a plinker only. So S&W should be lumped in with the rest, right?

That’s your right to feel that way, but I am not with most of you on that. I think most any AR15 being made now (with a few exceptions, Carbon-15 comes to mind) will be adequate to protect you and your family in a civilian environment.

I am not trying to say that all AR’s are equal. DD, BCM ,Colt, Noveske, LMT, LWRC, Larue, etc are top of the line and I personally would rather have those over other brands. I just don’t believe the so called “commercial” company AR’s are THAT far behind to make a significant difference…

Again, my opinion only.

Some other companies might be putting out better AR's. From my experience (both looking over the guns and reading problems online), I will not be trusting what the companies you listed post for specs or build quality.

On the flip side, I have direct contacts within S&W that tell me the truth, have visited their facility and watched them build their AR's. I have consulted to them on their AR program as well.

For instance, S&W gets their BCG's from the same place that Colt and BCM get theirs. This cannot be said of WW or Delton (to my knowledge).

I am constantly pinging them to improve their AR's and they DO LISTEN. SO while I don't give them a "pass" I do think they make a high quality product and DO do some things better than 80-90% of the AR market does.

C4

agr1279
03-30-13, 21:08
Use the search button and you will see at least two threads about them. They get neither love nor traction on this site. I have posted about them in both post and no need to rehash the info.

Dan

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=87334&highlight=core15

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=109033

CXV_JR
04-01-13, 08:57

Can anyone expound on why they are poor quality?

markm
04-01-13, 09:16
It just seems to me S&W gets sort of a "pass" here for not being 100% like DD, BCM, Colt, LMT, LWRC, etc.,

You lump LWRCi garbage in with LEGIT companies??? :nono:

Awww hell no, Shinaynay!

polymorpheous
04-01-13, 09:16
Chamber dimensions?
Receiver extension forged or extruded? Dry lube? 6160 or 7570?
Gas port dimensions?
Is the heat treat on critical parts like the bolt, barrel extension, FCG, etc to spec?

Shall I go on?

There are many things that make a quality carbine.
Meeting all the requirement set forth by "the chart" doesn't mean it is completely up to par with proven carbines from known manufacturers.

CXV_JR
04-01-13, 10:52
Chamber dimensions?
Receiver extension forged or extruded? Dry lube? 6160 or 7570?
Gas port dimensions?
Is the heat treat on critical parts like the bolt, barrel extension, FCG, etc to spec?

Shall I go on?

There are many things that make a quality carbine.
Meeting all the requirement set forth by "the chart" doesn't mean it is completely up to par with proven carbines from known manufacturers.

Chambered in 5.56
4150 Chrome lined 1:7 twist Phosphate coated barrels (MPI)
Also offer 416R SS barrels on piston rifles and 300 BLK rifles
F-Marked FSB taper pinned and barrel is coated underneath
M16 Carrier
Bolt is shot peened and HPT & MPI are batch
Properly Staked Gas Key
Black Extractor Insert
Milspec buffer tube (Commercial on base rifles)

CORE actually manufactures their own uppers, lowers (forged and billet), charging handles (billet), trigger guards (billet) and barrel nuts(made from stressproof steel and CNC machined). They also just released their CORE30 model which is a billet upper and lower .308 AR platform.

Not sure what makes them not g2g?

C4IGrant
04-01-13, 10:55
Chambered in 5.56
M16 Carrier
Properly Staked Gas Key
Black Extractor Insert

CORE actually manufactures their own uppers, lowers (forged and billet), charging handles (billet), trigger guards (billet) and barrel nuts(made from stressproof steel and CNC machined). They also just released their CORE30 model which is a billet upper and lower .308 AR platform.

In regards to steel, testing, GP size, etc, suggest you read this: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=56063

In GOD we trust, all others we ask for proof! ;)

C4

polymorpheous
04-01-13, 11:00
Chambered in 5.56
M16 Carrier
Properly Staked Gas Key
Black Extractor Insert

Reread my post.
These are questions you can't answer.

Stag advertises a 5.56 chambers.
They are known to be tight.

Split66
04-01-13, 11:13

Awww hell no, Shinaynay!

smh. These threads are driving markm to Ebonics.

jstalford
04-01-13, 11:21
Even if it's OK, why gamble with your money when something known to be gtg is available cheaper. Sure that's how newer companies gain traction and build a good reputation, but this isn't my favorite industry to be an early adopter in...

eperk
04-01-13, 11:47
A lot of good info has been put out there in this thread and some of the links provided. If someone has really read the information provided and wants to get a Core, let 'em get it.
You can lead a horse to water.............

slamd095
04-01-13, 11:58

Awww hell no, Shinaynay!

LMAO!!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gO19dznOHoA/THg0YhRIbpI/AAAAAAAAAB0/ghyKvAqvxHk/s400/1280747436479.jpg

NeoNeanderthal
04-01-13, 12:10
Batch testing would be enough of a reason to stay away for me.

Not to mention the bad reputation, them being untested, and the ridiculously high price.

A friend of a friend bought one and i shot about 30 rounds through it. Got two double feeds with a pmag and federal ammo. I have never seen the kid again so i honestly dont know what caused the issues.

polymorpheous
04-01-13, 12:15
A friend of a friend bought one and i shot about 30 rounds through it. Got two double feeds with a pmag and federal ammo. I have never seen the kid again so i honestly dont know what caused the issues.

But it was just as good as a Colt right?

NeoNeanderthal
04-01-13, 12:22
But it was just as good as a Colt right?

He told me, verbatim "I really wanted a 'windham' because i had heard really good things about them. But of course they were all sold out so i thought i would give this brand a try. It was the same price as the windham and he threw in a fee p-mags so i was pretty stoked."

and my friend who knew this kid and also knew me was just watching my face like a hawk because he sees me as a "gun snob."

Keep in mind this kid had skinny jeans, non-perscription glasses, a wool petty coat, and a lowered audi suv with a boom box base thing in it. (i forget what thats called when people are bumping the beats with the speakers in the trunk?)

polymorpheous
04-01-13, 12:30
Hipsters are buying AR's!?
:bad:

Tekel
04-01-13, 12:38

In droves. Guns are becoming "cool" because of video games. While it is great to have the next generation interested in guns, it is scary since so many don't take the time to learn about the guns.

C4IGrant
04-01-13, 12:39

Yes. Had one in my store the other day. He was also taking a training class!

C4

NeoNeanderthal
04-01-13, 12:43
To top it off this kid was from boston. He told me he was just gonna keep his ar at his dad's house in nh (where we were shooting)...

Grant, atleast the kid is gonna take a training class. The only thing worse then hipsters with guns is untrained hipsters with guns!

polymorpheous
04-01-13, 12:46
While it is great to have the next generation interested in guns, it is scary since so many don't take the time to learn about the guns.

That's what I was thinking.

Yes. Had one in my store the other day. He was also taking a training class!

That's reassuring!
Perhaps he was just being ironic?
:jester:

Split66
04-01-13, 13:00
It is April 1st after all.....

taliv
04-01-13, 19:14
My comments were based on personal experience. I've looked at a few n the gun store and was unimpressed. I've seen two on the range and neither was working.

However the thing that really predisposed me to heightened skepticism was how the gunstore staff was selling them as way better than milspec and better than colts. I know the staff. They're nice guys but not knowledgeable about ARs. They're repeating what they've been told by somebody.

If one of their proponents wants to swing through Tennessee and demo a functioning one and explain what makes it better than throwing rocks, I'd be happy to listen.

agr1279
04-01-13, 20:44
This whole thread has gone full retard. A simple question was asked by anotherdaze1 about a good price on a CORE-15 rifle and it is making TOS look civilized. I thought I was a gun snob but there are some here who put me to shame. I guess that unless you are Colt, Knight, Daniel Defense, Larue or BCM you are just plain dogshit and how dare you even think about getting into the game. I forgot S&W since Grant said they were on the way to being good to go. If you look at a previous thread about CORE you will see that Ned posted saying that while he is not endorsing them they do understand what they are doing.

It seems like according to some CORE-15 is just crap but fails to give a valid reason. The I handled one and it is way worse than DPMS or I shot a friend of a friend’s and it had issues does not fly. Specifics are needed. Why don’t you try to write a report using some of the reasons that have been in this thread? You will not be able to do it. A sample selection of one doesn’t mean anything. A sample of 10% starts to mean something but anything less is useless. They are one of the newer kids on the block but they have sunk a lot of money to be able to make AR-15’s right. They do use parts from another manufacturer but they are starting to make more of their own parts in-house.

Why don’t some of the naysayers take the time to call and speak to either Justin or Quad. As I have said in the past I don’t get paid by them.

Do you want quality or someone to beat up on?

Dan

Hmac
04-01-13, 21:46
FINALLY this thread has gone full-butthurt.

The players were different, but the entire script is the same.

eperk
04-01-13, 22:04
FINALLY this thread has gone full-butthurt.

The players were different, but the entire script is the same.

It sure has. Seems like someone just needs to accept that all AR's are NOT created equal.

scooter22
04-01-13, 22:05
He told me, verbatim "I really wanted a 'windham' because i had heard really good things about them. But of course they were all sold out so i thought i would give this brand a try. It was the same price as the windham and he threw in a fee p-mags so i was pretty stoked."

and my friend who knew this kid and also knew me was just watching my face like a hawk because he sees me as a "gun snob."

Keep in mind this kid had skinny jeans, non-perscription glasses, a wool petty coat, and a lowered audi suv with a boom box base thing in it. (i forget what thats called when people are bumping the beats with the speakers in the trunk?)

Judgmental much? I really don't see how your post contributes anything to this thread.