PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P 9c

Aud_VDW
03-20-08, 21:58
Howdy all,

I was wondering what the general consensus of this pistol was?

How does it handle recoil and muzzle flip wise?

I'm stuck between it and a Glock 26.

Thanks

YukonGlocker
03-21-08, 02:03
I've shot thousands of rounds through both the M&P9c and G26.
Both are excellent pistols. IMO, the M&P handles better because of better ergonomics.
Handle and shoot them both if you can. Buy the one that fits you the best.

John_Wayne777
03-21-08, 07:46
The M&P 9c shoots well and handles recoil very well, in my opinion. It's my favorite sub-compact 9mm handgun. It is LIGHT YEARS better than the G26, in my opinion, when it comes to shooting and managing recoil.

Navy87Guy
03-21-08, 08:26
The M&P 9c shoots well and handles recoil very well, in my opinion. It's my favorite sub-compact 9mm handgun. It is LIGHT YEARS better than the G26, in my opinion, when it comes to shooting and managing recoil.

I think technically the M&P 9C is a compact, not a subcompact. It's about the same size as the G19, not the G26 -- so that would be a more accurate comparison.

That said, I find it very easy to shoot and very easy to carry/conceal. I'm definitely very happy with it.

Jim

Sam
03-21-08, 08:33
The 9C falls right in the middle of physical dimension between a G19 and G26. But for simplicity, it's in the same category as the G26. Call it what you want, compact or subcompact. It hold 12 rounds instead of 10 as the G26. I had a 9C that was reliable, accurate and easy to carry. A little easier to carry than my G19, but not as user friendly as the G19. The recoil is very light, I think because the grip with the interchangeable backstraps allow better hand fit, i.e. mo betta ergonomics :) I think the recoil and muzzle flip felt less than my G19.

It was my summer carry gun, the reason I sold it to a good friend is I'm preparing my funds to get a 45Compact when it comes out sometimes later this year.

Buckaroo
03-21-08, 08:42
I bought a 9c (thanks Grant!) to go with my 40c that replaced my G27.

I chose to move to the M&P line due to better ergonomics & better recoil management. I shot the G27 (which I had carried for a couple of years) and the 40c side by side and decided that the M&P was better for me.

I bought the 9c for my son and wife to shoot and for me to have a cheaper practice round.

Buckaroo

ToddG
03-21-08, 12:58
There is no formal definition of "full size" or "compact" or "sub-compact" ... gun companies are free to call their pistols whatever they want.

The standard ("full size") M&P is between a G17 and G19 size. The compact M&P is between a G19 and G26 size.

The G26 is smaller and is going to be easier to conceal as a pocket or ankle gun.

In my opinion, the M&Pc is easier to shoot fast & accurately and has better ergonomics.

Shoot both and be sure to compare apples to apples. A G26 with a small floorplate is maximum concealability but won't allow a full-fingered grip for most people, while a M&Pc with the extended floorplate is substantially bigger and gives a much more comfortable, traditional grip.

bullitt5172
03-21-08, 15:05
I must be in the minority. I prefer the Glock over the M&P. I've owned the fullsize 9mm, compact 9mm and a 45. I've sold them all, no better than my Glocks IMO. I prefer the Glock trigger and Glock ergonomics. The Smith is a good gun but no better than the Glock. If I were just starting out, I may give the M&P more consideration. I already all the holsters, mags and parts I need for the Glocks and can't see selling everything just to try a different platform.

John_Wayne777
03-21-08, 15:08
The standard ("full size") M&P is between a G17 and G19 size. The compact M&P is between a G19 and G26 size.

See, that can't possibly be true because I've heard "experts" on other boards who insist that an M&P 9mm is the same size as a G21!!! The "manufacturer's specs!" say so..... :rolleyes:

The G26 is smaller and is going to be easier to conceal as a pocket or ankle gun.

In my opinion, the M&Pc is easier to shoot fast & accurately and has better ergonomics.

Shoot both and be sure to compare apples to apples. A G26 with a small floorplate is maximum concealability but won't allow a full-fingered grip for most people, while a M&Pc with the extended floorplate is substantially bigger and gives a much more comfortable, traditional grip.

Indeed.

I'll try to get some comparison pics of my M&P and my G26 up tonight. Hopefully that will help Aud_VDW see what you are talking about.

The G26 is a "bit" smaller than the M&P 9c...but that "bit" does make what I believe to be a fairly significant difference in concealment if you are talking about pocket carry. Neither weapon is particularly good as a pocket gun for most folks, but I do carry them that way much of the time.

Even though the M&P 9c is a little bit more difficult to conceal, I still end up packing it 90% of the time these days because the little bastard is a death ray. At my last range session I was outshooting my big M&P guns with it for some reason. I'll trade a little extra concealment ability for a LOT better shooting performance any day. :)

ToddG
03-21-08, 15:37
See, that can't possibly be true because I've heard "experts" on other boards who insist that an M&P 9mm is the same size as a G21!!!

One of Smith's issues is that they have to count the "beavertail" in the OAL of the pistol, which adds about a quarter of an inch. When I saw the very first prototype years ago I laughed myself out loud over that. I was working for SIG at the time and knew that little nub of plastic was going to play hell with meeting paper specs.

I'll trade a little extra concealment ability for a LOT better shooting performance any day. :)

+1 ... My normal dress code lets me carry a full size M&P (or, in the past, full-size Beretta and SIG) and the benefits of the bigger guns always made it worth the compromises to me.

Alpha Sierra
03-21-08, 19:12
Just brought home an M&P9c. No safeties or locks.

Walked into the nearby fun store to get some cleaning patches and saw 6 MONTHS SAME AS CASH on the door. So filled the credit app and went shopping. :D

They had a sweet new S&W Model 21 (44 Special fixed sight N frame) with the case hardened frame (I love that gun) but the piss poor wood to metal fit was not worthy of a Daisy Red Rider. So I left it and picked up the M&P. I have a feeling that will become, after break in and getting some leather, my favorite carry piece. That thing fits my hand as well as my revolvers do.

Spooky130
03-21-08, 20:57
Can you use full-size M&P mags in the the 9c version?

Spooky

John_Wayne777
03-21-08, 21:09
Can you use full-size M&P mags in the the 9c version?

Spooky

Yup. They work just fine.

Here's the promised pics:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0520.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0521.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0522.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0523.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0524.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0525.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0526.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0527.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0528.jpg

As you can see, it has a slightly longer grip and a slightly longer barrel, but it also holds two extra rounds. It still fits in the same holsters as the G26 including the pictured Galco pocket holster. With the standard floorplate magazine you get a two finger hold on the M&P 9C. With the extended floorplate you get a very comfortable 3 finger grip.

Pics can only do so much so I encourage getting hands on with both side by side before making a final decision.

RogerinTPA
03-21-08, 21:13
Ditto for all of the above. Tamer recoil, faster follow up shots in double, triple shots and rapid fire. Fits my hand way better than my G23. I am highly considering the M&P40c.;)

Sam
03-21-08, 21:18
John Wayne:
In the bottom picture, the gun underneath the M&P looks like a Sig or something?

John_Wayne777
03-21-08, 21:27
John Wayne:
In the bottom picture, the gun underneath the M&P looks like a Sig or something?

You're right...it's a P239. I threw it in there so folks could get an idea of how the M&P stacked up against it, but I neglected to mention it.

I must now do pennance:

Bad TOS moderator! No donut!

El Cid
03-21-08, 22:10
LOVE my M&P9C! Even with Corbon DPX (115gr +P) it's as tame as a gun can be. Girlfriend shooting it had no problems and she has very limited firearms experience.

Only thing I did to it was add a 10-8 rear sight. They had a deal with S&W last year for two free mags. I checked the box for 17rd mags since it came w/ 2 compact ones and I don't plan to reload with the 12 rounders. The gun functions just fine with the 17rd mags, and one has a +5 Arredondo extension. :)

I carry a G27 as my BUG daily. I'd ditch it for the M&PC in a heartbeat if my agency allowed. The M&Ps are fantastic and have outdone Glock IMHO.

ToddG
03-22-08, 09:28
J_W -- thanks, those are great pics!

C4IGrant
03-22-08, 11:07
I must be in the minority. I prefer the Glock over the M&P. I've owned the fullsize 9mm, compact 9mm and a 45. I've sold them all, no better than my Glocks IMO. I prefer the Glock trigger and Glock ergonomics. The Smith is a good gun but no better than the Glock. If I were just starting out, I may give the M&P more consideration. I already all the holsters, mags and parts I need for the Glocks and can't see selling everything just to try a different platform.

I look at it the exact opposite of you. I have sold all my Glocks and gone directly to the M&P for the following reasons:

1. Much better ergonomics.
2. More rigid frame.
3. CT grips integrate perfectly.

Even though you are a Glock fan, I still like ya! :)

C4

bullitt5172
03-22-08, 11:41
I look at it the exact opposite of you. I have sold all my Glocks and gone directly to the M&P for the following reasons:

1. Much better ergonomics.
2. More rigid frame.
3. CT grips integrate perfectly.

Even though you are a Glock fan, I still like ya! :)

C4

Thanks Grant! :D

ra2bach
03-22-08, 21:51
One of Smith's issues is that they have to count the "beavertail" in the OAL of the pistol, which adds about a quarter of an inch. When I saw the very first prototype years ago I laughed myself out loud over that. I was working for SIG at the time and knew that little nub of plastic was going to play hell with meeting paper specs.

can't a person just cut or file off that "beavertail" if they were so inclined?

YukonGlocker
03-22-08, 22:58
.Yes.

ToddG
03-23-08, 20:30

As YG said, yes, you can. But when a governmental entity goes out to bid and establishes dimensional specifications or awards points/preferences based on dimensions, that beavertail gets counted.

Alpha Sierra
03-23-08, 21:30
I wonder how long will it be before S&W removes the tail off the fullsize M&Ps?

Tooling-wise, it's a fairly simple rework to add a plug to that section of the mold.

ToddG
03-23-08, 21:47
My guess: never.

If it comes down to making a difference for a big contract, they might make a modified frame, I suppose. But it's the design of the gun and one of the "features" they advertise as superior over the competition. Personally, I couldn't care less whether it's there or not.

M4arc
03-24-08, 07:12
I made the same decision about a year ago when I was looking for something to carry during the summer. I ended up going with the G26 over the M&P9c because it was a tab bit smaller, all of my G19 holsters would work, more support for other holsters, parts interchangeability with my other Glocks, and at the time there were still a lot of mag drop issues with the M&P9c.

I made the right decision at the time because the G26 is an awesome little carry weapon. I carried it all summer, most of the time wearing shorts and a t-shirt. It carries extremely well…so well in fact that I carried all fall and winter! For a little guy like me it’s perfect.

However I don’t shoot it as well as my G19 or G17. I shoot it good enough but not as well as my other Glocks.

Now, if you asked me today what to buy I would probably say the M&P9c. It appears that S&W has all the kinks worked out and support (holsters & accessories) are much better than it was a year ago. In addition you get great ergonomics and 2 extra rounds. It’s not as small as the G26 but I think the ergonomics make up for it. I’m not selling my G26 but I am picking up a M&P9c as soon as Grant gets more in.

senorlinc
04-03-08, 23:44
love love love my m&p 9c. daily carry gun for the last 6 months in a mtac iwb. shoots accurately, low recoil and reliable (1500 thru no problems) sold my g19 to get it. next up is a M&P 9L.....and maybe a mp45