PDA

View Full Version : Section Eight Housing...

SteyrAUG
03-29-13, 18:49
Seems some people are not aware of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8_%28housing%29

Section 8 of the Housing Act of 1937 (42 U.S.C. § 1437f), often simply known as Section 8, as repeatedly amended, authorizes the payment of rental housing assistance to private landlords on behalf of approximately 3.1 million low-income households. It operates through several programs, the largest of which, the Housing Choice Voucher program, pays a large portion of the rents and utilities of about 2.1 million households. The US Department of Housing and Urban Development manages the Section 8 programs.[1]

The Housing Choice Voucher Program provides "tenant-based" rental assistance, so a tenant can move from one unit of at least minimum housing quality to another. It also allows individuals to apply their monthly voucher towards the purchase of a home, with over $17 billion going towards such purchases each year (from ncsha.org analysis). The maximum allowed voucher is $2200 a month.

So that means any qualifying individual can rent a place that charges as much as $2200 a month. What do houses in your neighborhood rent for?

I have one friend who paid about $450,000 for his house about 10 years ago. This is a doctors and lawyers kind of neighborhood. But due to a combination of depressed housing costs starting about 5 years ago and many owners trying to recoup losses by renting rather than selling in a down market he now has a section 8 family across the street. Single mother with six children.

Where free housing used to be centralized in projects this is no longer done as they became concentrations for drug and criminal activity. The view was that this was racist, unfair and punished the poor. So instead of providing free housing blocks, they now simply give them a rent check and they find their own place.

If you are wondering how a "no job but half a dozen kids" family ended up in your working class neighborhood, that is probably how. Other signs are meals program vehicles and delivery of prescriptions to homes that don't seem to have the means to afford such things.

Crow Hunter
03-29-13, 19:20

The maximum allowed voucher is $2200 a month.

So that means any qualifying individual can rent a place that charges as much as $2200 a month. What do houses in your neighborhood rent for?

My house payment is only $466 a month....

My payment on a 70 acre farm I own is only $908....

Apparently I am doing this all wrong.:mad:

Section 8 housing ruined several very nice/safe areas of Memphis and drove a large number of people out of the city and into surrounding counties.

Rather than taking the poor out of the crime ridden area, it just moved the crime to new areas. Sad really.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer/2008/06/21/section-8-vouchers-crime-correlated-expect-media-indifference

I witnessed this first hand. I was in college in the mid-90's there and my aunt lived in a decent middle income sub division off Canada Road.

She was forced to move to to Arlington after this happened.

And it ISN'T racism in my aunts case. Just flat out no longer safe to live there. Prior to that, if you stayed out of certain areas, you were pretty safe. Afterwards, not so much.:(

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-29-13, 19:35
$2200 will rent a pretty nice place around here. I keep asking myself why I continue to work for a living.

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-29-13, 19:55
My house payment is only $466 a month....

My payment on a 70 acre farm I own is only $908....

Apparently I am doing this all wrong.:mad:

Section 8 housing ruined several very nice/safe areas of Memphis and drove a large number of people out of the city and into surrounding counties.

Rather than taking the poor out of the crime ridden area, it just moved the crime to new areas. Sad really.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer/2008/06/21/section-8-vouchers-crime-correlated-expect-media-indifference

I witnessed this first hand. I was in college in the mid-90's there and my aunt lived in a decent middle income sub division off Canada Road.

She was forced to move to to Arlington after this happened.

And it ISN'T racism in my aunts case. Just flat out no longer safe to live there. Prior to that, if you stayed out of certain areas, you were pretty safe. Afterwards, not so much.:(
C R A P ! Where do you live? I have 5 acres and my mortgage is 1200$ with a 3800 sq foot house and 2 barns. Is about 7k and acre in my area, if I drive 15 minutes north a half acre can go for 100k. I hate it here to boot! There is 2k for sale across the street but I don't have 800,000 right now.

El Pistolero
03-29-13, 20:10
$2200? And my BAH as an E-4 living in NM isn't even half that. Why even pay rent out of pocket? Surely I am wasting my money, I'm sure I qualify for this splendid program. I served my country, I should be entitled to just as much as these fine, upstanding citizens. The last time I saw housing allowances like that was in Guam!

**** you democrats!

khc3
03-29-13, 20:20

Reading that reminded me of an article I read not too long ago about Memphis:

The Atlantic - American Murder Mystery (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/07/american-murder-mystery/306872/)

tb-av
03-29-13, 20:28
There is another side effect. It drives rents up for hard working people that want a place to rent. So if they don't earn a $2,200 check they have to live in the lesser home/neighborhood.

polymorpheous
03-29-13, 20:31
How much is a 2 bedroom apartment in San Fransisco these days?

Does the $2,200 max apply for the Milwaukee area, or is it based off of local market averages?

GeorgiaBoy
03-29-13, 20:35
Moving low-income people into a high income area, but paying their way for it, does not encourage them at all to actually earn a high income to live the lifestyle they are currently living (for free).

Moose-Knuckle
03-29-13, 21:00
Ahh yes the old "War on Poverty" bit . . .

The thing that infuriates me even more than having my hard earned tax dollars pay the way for these oxygen thieves is the fact that said oxygen thieves can move right next door to you after you’ve busted your ass to be able to live in a good neighborhood.

obucina
03-29-13, 21:03

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8_%28housing%29

Section 8 of the Housing Act of 1937 (42 U.S.C. § 1437f), often simply known as Section 8, as repeatedly amended, authorizes the payment of rental housing assistance to private landlords on behalf of approximately 3.1 million low-income households. It operates through several programs, the largest of which, the Housing Choice Voucher program, pays a large portion of the rents and utilities of about 2.1 million households. The US Department of Housing and Urban Development manages the Section 8 programs.[1]

The Housing Choice Voucher Program provides "tenant-based" rental assistance, so a tenant can move from one unit of at least minimum housing quality to another. It also allows individuals to apply their monthly voucher towards the purchase of a home, with over $17 billion going towards such purchases each year (from ncsha.org analysis). The maximum allowed voucher is $2200 a month.

I have one friend who paid about $450,000 for his house about 10 years ago. This is a doctors and lawyers kind of neighborhood. But due to a combination of depressed housing costs starting about 5 years ago and many owners trying to recoup losses by renting rather than selling in a down market he now has a section 8 family across the street. Single mother with six children.

Where free housing used to be centralized in projects this is no longer done as they became concentrations for drug and criminal activity. The view was that this was racist, unfair and punished the poor. So instead of providing free housing blocks, they now simply give them a rent check and they find their own place.

If you are wondering how a "no job but half a dozen kids" family ended up in your working class neighborhood, that is probably how. Other signs are meals program vehicles and delivery of prescriptions to homes that don't seem to have the means to afford such things.

Since we are both aware of the volatile condition of the south florida housing market....the use of the voucher has been a bit prevalent in some of the gated communities outside of West Palm. Where the vouchers pop up and are used, the crime rates in surrounding communities spike.

My mortgage is 855 a month and I, while being alone, am able to live quite comfortably for being a college educated pollak slingin' food at Publix. The rental allowance is just our moronic government's attempt at perpetuating the idea that an inorganic policy of inclusion will end well.

tb-av
03-29-13, 21:06
How much is a 2 bedroom apartment in San Fransisco these days?

Does the $2,200 max apply for the Milwaukee area, or is it based off of local market averages?

http://www.huduser.org/portal/datasets/fmr/fmrs/FY2013_code/2013summary.odn

Yes, it's local based on fair market rent studies.

Sorry, try this link. http://www.huduser.org/portal/datasets/fmr/fmrs/FY2013_code/select_Geography.odn

but... Steyr is still correct. For instance if housing is distressed in your region and values have lost 40% people will try to rent them so the next thing you know, you have a home owner that lives in NY, has a vacation home in FL and rents it out to Sec8 so it doesn't get foreclosed on.

More of what I see in Sec8 are neighborhoods that never seem to grow economically. The housing just rotates from fixed up to trashed out. It's always a mixed bag as opposed to a neighborhood that get's revitalized and rises up.

feedramp
03-29-13, 21:15
Ahh yes the old "War on Poverty" bit . . .

The thing that infuriates me even more than having my hard earned tax dollars pay the way for these oxygen thieves is the fact that said oxygen thieves can move right next door to you after you’ve busted your ass to be able to live in a good neighborhood.

And you can't talk about it, as that would be "racism".

SkiDevil
03-29-13, 21:28
To rent an apartment (2 bedroom) in San Francisco these days in a decent area, not upscale by any means can easily run $3k/ month.

That number seems pretty high, wikipedia is not a very reliable source of information.

I met a family of 4 in the Southern California area who were living in a low-income area that is high-crime and were receiving $800.00 from the program for rent and paying the difference ($500.00). -I wouldn't live there for free.

One of my buddies owns several rental properties and has told me dependant on the particular circumstances of the recipient all or some of their rent is covered by the program. And none of his rentals come even close to $2,200.

It is my understanding that the wait to receive Section 8 benefits/ assistance can be several years at least in California.

Crow Hunter
03-29-13, 21:52
C R A P ! Where do you live? I have 5 acres and my mortgage is 1200$ with a 3800 sq foot house and 2 barns. Is about 7k and acre in my area, if I drive 15 minutes north a half acre can go for 100k. I hate it here to boot! There is 2k for sale across the street but I don't have 800,000 right now.

West TN.

Come on down! I don't mind gun toting Yankees. :p

I actually have 200 acres for sale right now at $200,000 and no one is buying.:(

(Regenerating hardwood timberland)

The house I live in now is very modest. 1,500 sq ft on 2.5 acres with a big lake behind it but my brother just bought a very nice all brick, granite/tile/hardwood house built in 2008 for $184,000. 2,100 square feet I believe in a nice subdivision.

Cost of living is pretty low here. Very rural and not a whole lot of industry.

No AWB, suppressors, Class III, the works. Usually a Class III dealer with 100 miles of just about everywhere in the state.

No income tax either.:D

Well, technically there is on dividend/interest income over $1,250 a year, I think. (Hall Income Tax).

We also have Tom Givens!

And Yeager.:D

fourXfour
03-29-13, 21:57
West TN.

Come on down! I don't mind gun toting Yankees. :p

I actually have 200 acres for sale right now at $200,000 and no one is buying.:(

(Regenerating hardwood timberland)

The house I live in now is very modest. 1,500 sq ft on 2.5 acres with a big lake behind it but my brother just bought a very nice all brick, granite/tile/hardwood house built in 2008 for $184,000. 2,100 square feet I believe in a nice subdivision.

Cost of living is pretty low here. Very rural and not a whole lot of industry.

No AWB, suppressors, Class III, the works.

No income tax either.:D

Well, technically there is on dividend/interest income over $1,250 a year, I think. (Hall Income Tax).

We also have Tom Givens!

And Yeager.:D

Hmm. I have 17 years till retirement. That does sound nice!!! A few of my coworkers are planning to relocate to TN. One is an aspiring country singer, so it's a natural fit.

Crow Hunter
03-29-13, 22:07
Reading that reminded me of an article I read not too long ago about Memphis:

The Atlantic - American Murder Mystery (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/07/american-murder-mystery/306872/)

Yep. I can vouch for that data. My aunt lived it and I have a bunch of friends down there.

It is bad enough that you go to a doctor's office at Baptist East off Walnut Grove road and they have bullet resistant sliding glass window (that they keep closed and locked except when they talk to you) and you have to be buzzed into the back.:(

A doctor's office....

Pitiful really, that people would let themselves get to such a state.

Crow Hunter
03-29-13, 22:10
Hmm. I have 17 years till retirement. That does sound nice!!! A few of my coworkers are planning to relocate to TN. One is an aspiring country singer, so it's a natural fit.

Cool.

Just remind them they are coming to ASSIMILATE, don't try to turn it into where they came from.

That is why they are moving.;)

fourXfour
03-29-13, 23:02
Cool.

Just remind them they are coming to ASSIMILATE, don't try to turn it into where they came from.

That is why they are moving.;)

They are looking very forward to the assimilation.... They are not bringing any California left wing nonsense out there and are running as far from it as they can. I am very jealous.

Endur
03-29-13, 23:11
Ridiculous.. Before I started the process of getting a divorce and my credit went to shit because of my soon to be ex-wife, I was looking to use my VA loan to buy a home and mortage with home owners insurance included on a good size house in a good area was around $400-500 a month. Imagine what $2,200 would get..

Circling the bowl gentleman, circling the bowl. :help:

PA PATRIOT
03-29-13, 23:24
When I retire I'M moving out to the middle of no were and since my pension is "NOT" federally taxed I just want to pretend the world is like that Louis Armstrong song "What A Wonderful World". :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5TwT69i1lU

rojocorsa
03-30-13, 00:28
Every time I hear "Section" and "Eight" it is never for a good reason. Ever.

Moose-Knuckle
03-30-13, 02:05
Circling the bowl gentleman, circling the bowl. :help:

Truth.

austinN4
03-30-13, 10:48
I keep asking myself why I continue to work for a living.
A lot of people are asking themselves the same thing.

Thomas M-4
03-30-13, 11:38
You guys are not thinking big enough gezzz:rolleyes:
You get a girl friend have about 3 kids never get married, that way she gets the section 8 housing and $800 month EBT card, and then you continue to work and just have your legal address some where else. I know guys that are making $80K a year and live with there girlfriends doing this scam.

obucina
03-30-13, 11:41
You get a girl friend have about 3 kids never get married, that way she gets the section 8 housing and $800 month EBT card, and then you continue to work and just have your legal address some where else. I know guys that are making $80K a year and live with there girlfriends doing this scam.

a co worker does the same thing....wont marry his girlfriend so she can qualify for WIC for their kid. Yep, he makes about 70k.

Thomas M-4
03-30-13, 12:02
a co worker does the same thing....wont marry his girlfriend so she can qualify for WIC for their kid. Yep, he makes about 70k.

There at least 4 that I know of at my work all make over $70K a year one of them is probably $100+K a year.
I have been told I am idiot for marring my wife. Think about it she can't say she to tired after work always at home keeping the house clean.

Traveshamockery
03-30-13, 12:08
And you can't talk about it, as that would be "racism".

No, what's racist is assuming that the only people of a certain race abuse the Section 8 system.

The horde of locusts devouring our great country are racially, ethnically, sexually, and religiously diverse. What they have in common is greed, covetousness, and a lack of self-respect.

T2C
03-30-13, 12:13

What would the state of Florida do if they learned your coworker was living with his girlfriend and knocking down 70K ?

Thomas M-4
03-30-13, 12:32
What would the state of Florida do if they learned your coworker was living with his girlfriend and knocking down 70K ?

I have thought about that also, but I know the people renting the houses want these people because they get payed buy the guberment and that check is in the account the same day every month with out fail and the renters have to take really good care of the houses.

T2C
03-30-13, 12:34
I have thought about that also, but I know the people renting the houses want these people because they get payed buy the guberment and that check is in the account the same day every month with out fail and the renters have to take really good care of the houses.

It's our money they are stealing.

Thomas M-4
03-30-13, 12:48

Well no shit! I don't like it anymore than you. That's why I posted it educate to others that might not be a wear of this. But it is happening on a major scale this isn't just a few it's probably the majority or dang near close to it.
Some times I think about doing it myself I can spend more preparing for the big flush:eek: kidding well some times do catch my self thinking of it:sarcastic:

Moose-Knuckle
03-30-13, 15:23

Precisely.

JoshNC
03-30-13, 15:46
My wife used to have a subordinate co-worker who would call in once per month stating she could not work that day. Her reason - she had worked too much that month and if she made any more money she would lose part of her section-8 housing money.

These entitlements must end.

Belmont31R
03-30-13, 17:11
The inner cities are full so they are moving these people out into middle class suburbia.

It was posted here before but you can make way more in benefits than working full time. You need an above average salary to beat what you can get on welfare.

Belmont31R
03-30-13, 17:12

Probably just recouping their tax dollars. About breaks even.

SteyrAUG
03-30-13, 17:41
My wife used to have a subordinate co-worker who would call in once per month stating she could not work that day. Her reason - she had worked too much that month and if she made any more money she would lose part of her section-8 housing money.

These entitlements must end.

Never happen. First politician to actually suggest it will be demonized as a racist who wants to throw families out on the street and hates children.

Every half thinking retard in this country wants to "help the needy", "help the children", "help those at risk", "help criminals become decent citizens", "help single family parents", "help feed and house the homeless", etc. without ever giving a single thought to "who is going to pay for it all" and "how the government will decide to solve the problem."

Projects were bad enough. They were concentrations of entitlement minded people who sought to scam the system as much as possible and even felt the need to "get even" with society for relegating them to the ghetto. But now we have taken those same "entitlement minded" individuals and we have distributed them into nearly every neighborhood regardless of the income range required by others to live there.

The section 8 retards next door piss me off to no end. I had to work my ass off to buy my home and pay my bills. That somebody can simply "qualify" to live next door to me angers me in a way that words cannot express. The realization that a friend of mine who payed almost half a million dollars for his home has to deal with the same thing is beyond all belief. I couldn't begin to afford to live in his neighborhood, but somebody "qualified" to do it. And it wasn't through hard work but "need and lack of means."

Moose-Knuckle
03-30-13, 19:51
Never happen. First politician to actually suggest it will be demonized as a racist who wants to throw families out on the street and hates children.

Every half thinking retard in this country wants to "help the needy", "help the children", "help those at risk", "help criminals become decent citizens", "help single family parents", "help feed and house the homeless", etc. without ever giving a single thought to "who is going to pay for it all" and "how the government will decide to solve the problem."

Projects were bad enough. They were concentrations of entitlement minded people who sought to scam the system as much as possible and even felt the need to "get even" with society for relegating them to the ghetto. But now we have taken those same "entitlement minded" individuals and we have distributed them into nearly every neighborhood regardless of the income range required by others to live there.

The section 8 retards next door piss me off to no end. I had to work my ass off to buy my home and pay my bills. That somebody can simply "qualify" to live next door to me angers me in a way that words cannot express. The realization that a friend of mine who payed almost half a million dollars for his home has to deal with the same thing is beyond all belief. I couldn't begin to afford to live in his neighborhood, but somebody "qualified" to do it. And it wasn't through hard work but "need and lack of means."

Great minds and all that . . .

This is the progressive utopia we have arrived at, social engineering at its apex.

"The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Thomas)

And lets not forget this gem . . .

The Cloward-Piven Strategy
http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/Articles/theclowardpivenstrategypoe.html

Belmont31R
03-30-13, 21:13

This is the progressive utopia we have arrived at, social engineering at its apex.

Yeah but ask the average Republican above age 40 about ending SS/Medicare and doing away with public schools (another form of welfare). Older Republicans will go apeshit if you threaten 'their' SS dollars.

SteyrAUG
03-30-13, 21:18

And the problem is we aren't even true socialism. We are class based socialism where the working class support those who don't do anything to support themselves and indeed in some examples can't work too much or risk losing benefits.

If we were true socialism where I didn't have to pay for my house and we all "qualified" for housing that might actually be preferable. Under the current system I, and others like me, are actually forcibly robbed by the government and our money is redistributed to those who can't or won't work. And in far too many cases they are rewarded as well or better than those of us who work for what we have.

Moose-Knuckle
03-30-13, 21:23
Yeah but ask the average Republican above age 40 about ending SS/Medicare and doing away with public schools (another form of welfare). Older Republicans will go apeshit if you threaten 'their' SS dollars.

It's not just the Republicans. My grandfather is 94 YOA and a WWII vet who grew up during the Great Depression. He was born and raised in Iowa of all places but has voted Democrat his entire life. Even though he is a bigot he has voted for Obama twice . . . why? Because he wants "his" money. :suicide:

Belmont31R
03-30-13, 21:23
And the problem is we aren't even true socialism. We are class based socialism where the working class support those who don't do anything to support themselves and indeed in some examples can't work too much or risk losing benefits.

If we were true socialism where I didn't have to pay for my house and we all "qualified" for housing that might actually be preferable. Under the current system I, and others like me, are actually forcibly robbed by the government and our money is redistributed to those who can't or won't work. And in far too many cases they are rewarded as well or better than those of us who work for what we have.

Modern socialism doesn't fit the old terms of state/worker owned means of production. They figured out its better to piggy back off a private sector economy and leech them for all its worth.

But the GM/Chrysler shit was state/worker owned means of production. In socialism the workers would own the company they work out, and gov gave the UAW a controlling interest as well as took control of the other half.

Moose-Knuckle
03-30-13, 21:27

Correct, class warfare is one of their engines of social change. Don't worry, we're getting to the more traditional form with every passing day. Hence the latest push to disarm arm We the People.

SteyrAUG
03-30-13, 21:30
Correct, class warfare is one of their engines of social change. Don't worry, we're getting to the more traditional form with every passing day. Hence the latest push to disarm arm We the People.

I'm guessing I'll never live to enjoy full socialism. Good news is I know who is coming with me.

:lol:

GeorgiaBoy
03-30-13, 21:32
Public schools are a form of welfare now?

Uh, what?

Belmont31R
03-30-13, 21:34

Uh, what?

Are all the people sending their kids to public schools paying for it out of their own pocket now?

Moose-Knuckle
03-30-13, 21:39
I'm guessing I'll never live to enjoy full socialism. Good news is I know who is coming with me.

:lol:

Yeah me neither. I figure by the time it gets to that point I would have been KIA as they started to round up dissidents and do the whole re-education camp thing. :D

SteyrAUG
03-30-13, 22:05

Uh, what?

If people attend who aren't paying taxes or even in the US legally then YES.

And really it's forced welfare. People who don't even have kids at all are forced to pay for the education of many who contribute NOTHING to the support of public school.

If I had that money back maybe I could afford health care for myself.

SteyrAUG
03-30-13, 22:10
Yeah me neither. I figure by the time it gets to that point I would have been KIA as they started to round up dissidents and do the whole re-education camp thing. :D

I'm hoping before we get there I will have relocated to "Leave Me The **** Alone In The Middle of Nowhere Special" USA. If I'm still here and they come around to disarm the masses and round up those who might make trouble...LOTS of people are going to lose.

I'll have found my bell tower by then.

:sarcastic:

obucina
03-30-13, 23:39

i havent contacted the "appropriate" entity, but would love to just 'splain it to the case worker:D

Spiffums
03-31-13, 09:23
My friend's daughter and husband just got out of the Navy and he is going to rent them one of his rental houses because he thinks he can get both their housing allowances. He thinks he will get $4,400 a month........:suicide2:

armakraut
04-01-13, 01:26
When the socialists realized that privately employed working people were never going to vote to take away the fruits of their own labor and that a welfare state was impossible without extracting money from every working person, they had to find or make new customers.

Considering that half of all children are born out of wedlock and well over half of marriages with kids end in divorce, single mom households are at least 80% of what this generation of kids will grow up in.

Marriage isn't just supposed to be the union of one man and one woman, it's supposed to be permanent. A religious and civil contractual matter. 200 years ago there were no marriage licenses, there was no state involvement. There was no safety net other than finding a good man. Shotgun marriages were a very real thing. You knocked someone up, you didn't have your wages garnished, you were given life without the possibility of divorce.

All a civil court should be asking is to see the contact. No contract, go to private charity.

The education most people get in public school isn't even worth what the average man is taxed to provide it. Education was already free before public schools existed, churches provided it. People got a better education in a one room gradeschool house next to the church and they never charged more than 10% of the excess. Public school isn't about education it's about socialist progressive indoctrination.

chadbag
04-01-13, 03:34
Public school isn't about education it's about socialist progressive indoctrination.

Amen to that!

--

Endur
04-01-13, 21:25
When the socialists realized that privately employed working people were never going to vote to take away the fruits of their own labor and that a welfare state was impossible without extracting money from every working person, they had to find or make new customers.

Considering that half of all children are born out of wedlock and well over half of marriages with kids end in divorce, single mom households are at least 80% of what this generation of kids will grow up in.

Marriage isn't just supposed to be the union of one man and one woman, it's supposed to be permanent. A religious and civil contractual matter. 200 years ago there were no marriage licenses, there was no state involvement. There was no safety net other than finding a good man. Shotgun marriages were a very real thing. You knocked someone up, you didn't have your wages garnished, you were given life without the possibility of divorce.

All a civil court should be asking is to see the contact. No contract, go to private charity.

The education most people get in public school isn't even worth what the average man is taxed to provide it. Education was already free before public schools existed, churches provided it. People got a better education in a one room gradeschool house next to the church and they never charged more than 10% of the excess. Public school isn't about education it's about socialist progressive indoctrination.

Truth.

Marriage was a commitment to someone you loved, unconditional. People used to take vows seriously. Now it is a damn joke.

What you said reminds me of that movie Agenda.

Mac5.56
04-01-13, 22:01
There is another side effect. It drives rents up for hard working people that want a place to rent. So if they don't earn a $2,200 check they have to live in the lesser home/neighborhood.

Bingo!!!!

This is the problem where I live. I currently pay 1100 for an old refurbished 1950's Army officers house that was plopped down on some ground without a foundation.

It's the most space we can find for our young family that we can afford. Everything in our area that is nice and should rent for this much rents for about 1800.

armakraut
04-02-13, 00:46
Truth.

Marriage was a commitment to someone you loved, unconditional. People used to take vows seriously. Now it is a damn joke.

What you said reminds me of that movie Agenda.

I watched that a few hours ago, it was a really good movie, lots of information.

nimdabew
04-02-13, 09:10
I know first hand a person (well a family if you can call it that) that was on section 8. This woman had two kids, one an adult female, the other an adopted female in the 14-15 age range. They lived in a nice apartment to the tune of 1100/month for a big two bed room and about 950 sq ft. in a nice part of the suburbs. The adult daughter left the place in squalor and lived with the adopted daughter as well while the mother was no where to be seen. The adult daughter routinely touted that her mom, not even her, had to only pay $68/month because of section 8 housing. It doesn't help that she was only on section 8 housing because she was obese and only had a part time job.

I was disgusted. She was a mostly able bodied adult that could fend for herself, but chose to be in the shadow of her section 8 mother and adopted sister for whatever reason. Abuse up and down the system.

brickboy240
04-02-13, 11:02
Wow...2,200 bucks a month around here will get you a 4 room house with a pool on a golf course. Square footage in the 2800-3500 range...maybe bigger. 3 car garage as well.

Another bad thing I have seen crop up in this economy - wealthy real estate investment groups and individuals buying up foreclosed houses in what most would call a middle class neighborhood. They often times do not live anywhere near the houses they buy and don't really keep them up as well as someone that bought the home and used it as their main residence. You can drive down the street and easily tell the rent homes from those that are owned by the people living in the houses.

This is happening in my neighborhood - which has houses that range from 100-170 grand and maybe 1800-2400 sq ft. Solidly middle class and mostly white but slightly mixed neighborhood. A place we used to like and families moved here BECAUSE of the nice neighborhood dynamic and condition of the houses.

These individuals and investment groups are buying up the houses that have been marked down or foreclosed on and renting them out to people that....lets say...would NOT be living in my neighborhood if they had to actually apply for a mortgage and make payments. People that rarely mow the yard and leave ratty cars parked on the streets for months. They also have many people living in the houses and several pit bulls and other undesirable things we used to never see in this place.

This changes the dynamics in what was once a fairly quiet, crime free group of houses. Reports of cars being broken into on driveways, spray paint on the stop signs and other unpleasant signs started showing up lately. 5-6 years ago....this type of thing never happened.

The bad thing is...my house is paid for and we really do not want to move or start paying on another mortgage.

So yeah...many very unpleasant things are happening to what were normal, quiet middle class neighborhoods and subdivisions in our city.

Sad...really.

-brickboy240

Endur
04-02-13, 21:21
Wow...2,200 bucks a month around here will get you a 4 room house with a pool on a golf course. Square footage in the 2800-3500 range...maybe bigger. 3 car garage as well.

Same around here. Like I said when I was calculating my mortage payment with my VA loan, I was looking at 1 story 3-4 bedroom homes with 2 car garage and 2 story with 4-5 and a 2 car garage in good neighborhoods and it was coming out to about $400-600 a month. They were around 1600-2100 sq. ft. homes and no older than 2-4 years old.

Irish
04-11-13, 15:28
The wait list for Section 8 in Las Vegas is currently closed (http://www.snvrha.org/how-to-apply.htm). Since I was curious I called them and was told that the wait list would be closed for approximately the next 3 years. So much for that idea...