PDA

View Full Version : PA counties

mikelowrey
03-29-13, 23:51
Hey,

Just wanted to know what are the good counties to live in that you can the best for your money.

Thanks

Blayglock
03-30-13, 09:02
I think it depends on what your needs are and what you would like access to. For onstance, if you still want access to major gun ranges, gun stores, sporting evenys, nightlife, and good medical care but did not want to live in Pittsburgh you could move to Butler county. Lower taxes, more affordable housing in places, but still close enough to all of the above.

Arik
03-30-13, 09:31
What he said ^ but on the east side of Pa. Bucks County is good. Close to Philadelphia, has everything from urban to cow country. The current Bucks County sheriff is good with NFA stuff and has no problem signing off on paperwork. Montgomery county sheriff is not too gun friendly and 50/50 on signing off.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Phillygunguy
03-30-13, 17:02
What he said ^ but on the east side of Pa. Bucks County is good. Close to Philadelphia, has everything from urban to cow country. The current Bucks County sheriff is good with NFA stuff and has no problem signing off on paperwork. Montgomery county sheriff is not too gun friendly and 50/50 on signing off.

Montco is also high property taxes

BoringGuy45
03-30-13, 17:58
My wife is from Doylestown and so naturally we go there to visit her family quite frequently. I'm looking for jobs in that area because I want to move out of this hell-hole liberal state I'm currently in. Bucks County and Montgomery County are both really nice, though pretty expensive. Lehigh County isn't too bad either. It has a different feeling than the rest of Eastern PA that I can't quite put my finger on.

I also really like Gettysburg, though in the rest of Adams County there's a whole lot of nothing.

In Western PA, Butler County is pretty nice and I really like Pittsburgh (my mom's family is from that area).

gin828
03-30-13, 19:55
It all depends on what you want to do, what kind of job, kids, etc. I live in Elk County I am 2.5 hrs from Pittsburg, Erie, and Buffalo NY. Its pretty quite in north central Pa. The sheriff in Elk County will sign in heart beat when asked:) Its cow country with the benefits of industry and a 1000yd rifle range!!! The rent is fair as there isnt a strong oilfield presence here yet.

Aegis
03-31-13, 14:45
Another vote for Adam's County (Gettysburg), or western York County.

Close enough to decent jobs (Baltimore, DC area) and far enough away from the same crap associated with those places. Commute time over 1 hr but worth the ride once you get home.

Land is reasonable, beautiful country, and conservative climate.

If you're buying land look into parcels greater than 10 acres. Once you go over 10 you are eligible for "Clean and Green" status which substantially reduces your property taxes.

Not to mention you can easily shoot on 10 acres!

Aegis

mikelowrey
03-31-13, 15:11
Thank you guys for your input. I been considering PA a Lot because here in ny there is no much to look for. So when my times comes I want to move to such a free state :) and be able breath that fresh air :P

The_War_Wagon
03-31-13, 15:17
DEMOCRAPS have pretty much fouled up Pittsburgh for 90 years now - we manage in spite of them. ;) Avoid Philthy and you should be fine most anywhere.

cdb
03-31-13, 18:37
I happen to be looking for 15 to 40 acres in that area right now. Do you have any good resources for finding available land? Not too much offered for a reasonable price that I've found online. Most stuff I see is asking $8K to $10K per acre which is pretty crazy. Prefer to find bare land.

I see a bunch of real nice empty farm parcels throughout the area. I'm tempted to start cold-calling farmers to make offers on pasture land. ;)

Another vote for Adam's County (Gettysburg), or western York County.

Close enough to decent jobs (Baltimore, DC area) and far enough away from the same crap associated with those places. Commute time over 1 hr but worth the ride once you get home.

Land is reasonable, beautiful country, and conservative climate.

If you're buying land look into parcels greater than 10 acres. Once you go over 10 you are eligible for "Clean and Green" status which substantially reduces your property taxes.

Not to mention you can easily shoot on 10 acres!

Aegis

Aegis
03-31-13, 18:53
Craig,

The price on smaller tracts will be higher per acre than the larger ones.

Be wary of people selling or looking to sell to potential developers. You might be better off buying and existing farmhouse, gutting and adding on to it then going after a parcel that has been divided off a larger one. Remember building is expensive and running electric 1/4 mile will be well over $15k.

Stay away from pure farmland, and pure woodlots as they area going to be more expensive than say a lot with 1/2 farm and 1/2 woods.

Here is a link to Adams county real estate with properties over 10 acres.

http://www.homes.com/Real_Estate/PA/County/ADAMS/?maxLotSize=%2A&minLotSize=10

Here is a nice piece of land for less than $5100 an acre:
http://www.homes.com/listing/182793441/2194_Iron_Springs_Rd_FAIRFIELD_PA_17320

cdb
03-31-13, 22:06
Good tips, thanks. I've done the demo/reconstruction on an old home before and won't be signing on for that again! :eek:

Craig,

The price on smaller tracts will be higher per acre than the larger ones.

Be wary of people selling or looking to sell to potential developers. You might be better off buying and existing farmhouse, gutting and adding on to it then going after a parcel that has been divided off a larger one. Remember building is expensive and running electric 1/4 mile will be well over $15k.

Stay away from pure farmland, and pure woodlots as they area going to be more expensive than say a lot with 1/2 farm and 1/2 woods.

Here is a link to Adams county real estate with properties over 10 acres.

http://www.homes.com/Real_Estate/PA/County/ADAMS/?maxLotSize=%2A&minLotSize=10

Here is a nice piece of land for less than $5100 an acre:
http://www.homes.com/listing/182793441/2194_Iron_Springs_Rd_FAIRFIELD_PA_17320

masakari
04-01-13, 01:39
I think it depends on what your needs are and what you would like access to. For onstance, if you still want access to major gun ranges, gun stores, sporting evenys, nightlife, and good medical care but did not want to live in Pittsburgh you could move to Butler county. Lower taxes, more affordable housing in places, but still close enough to all of the above.

this. Bucks county is almost paradise. I miss it. Much better than west PA, they dont even have cheesesteaks!

The_War_Wagon
04-01-13, 04:39
this. Bucks county is almost paradise. I miss it. Much better than west PA, they dont even have cheesesteaks!

We don't have the Iggles or the Flyers, either... but we manage. :D

Arik
04-01-13, 07:44
My wife is from Doylestown and so naturally we go there to visit her family quite frequently. I'm looking for jobs in that area because I want to move out of this hell-hole liberal state I'm currently in. Bucks County and Montgomery County are both really nice, though pretty expensive. Lehigh County isn't too bad either. It has a different feeling than the rest of Eastern PA that I can't quite put my finger on.

I also really like Gettysburg, though in the rest of Adams County there's a whole lot of nothing.

In Western PA, Butler County is pretty nice and I really like Pittsburgh (my mom's family is from that area).

Im a few miles south of Doylestown in Jamison. There has been a lot of farm land for sale lately in Swamp rd right off 263. A few farmhouses with one being advertised as "homestead". I dont remember which but one is 10 acres $640k

Between the burbs and Philly there are jobs it just depends on what you do.

mikelowrey
04-01-13, 07:46
Im a few miles south of Doylestown in Jamison. There has been a lot of farm land for sale lately in Swamp rd right off 263. A few farmhouses with one being advertised as "homestead". I dont remember which but one is 10 acres $640k

Damn 640k for 10 acres? That's a little bit steep

Arik
04-01-13, 07:51
Damn 640k for 10 acres? That's a little bit steep

That part of Bucks co. is expansive. There are a lot of side roads that almost take you back 80 years but otherwise its very built up with McManssions all over the place. And even in this economy developers are still buying up land and plunking down 10sq ft homes.

mikelowrey
04-01-13, 07:56
That part of Bucks co. is expansive. There are a lot of side roads that almost take you back 80 years but otherwise its very built up with McManssions all over the place. And even in this economy developers are still buying up land and plunking down 10sq ft homes.

Damn good to know that man, if it weren't for you guys people looking to get something there would get raped! Lol

Arik
04-01-13, 08:04
Dont get me wrong its not all like that. It just depending on what youre looking for. A nice 1500-2k sq ft townhouse can still be had for $220k +/-. A 2k sq ft + single home in the mid 300k. You just wont have a huge lot or a gigantic back yard and your neighbors will be 30 ft away.

liverup
04-01-13, 09:29
Where in elk county is the 1000yrd range.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Ick
04-01-13, 09:38
Don't overlook the middle of the state. It is sort of like a gun owner paradise down the middle of the state. You aren't that far from Pittsburgh/Harrisburg/State College/York and most of the gun ranges here don't have out of control rules.

There certainly are expensive areas, but the vast majority has very low property taxes and RE values are generally more than reasonable.

gin828
04-01-13, 16:58
Here is the link for the 1000yd range. Its in Ridgway,Pa and they hold NRA High Power and IDPA matches

http://ridgwayrifleclub.com/

TheTick
04-01-13, 21:41

UPPER Bucks is almost paradise. Lower Bucks is a war zone and Central Bucks is too expensive for my civil service job.

Arik
04-02-13, 07:44
UPPER Bucks is almost paradise. Lower Bucks is a war zone and Central Bucks is too expensive for my civil service job.

I dont know about a "war zone". Most of the townships that border NE Philly (Bensalem, Feasterville, Upper & Lower Southampton, Warrington, Warminster) are nice. However i work in one of the "war zone" suburbs bordering Trenton NJ.

masakari
04-02-13, 13:14

I guess you've never lived in Frankfurt haha
Man I miss PA.

TheTick
04-02-13, 14:19
It's all relative...

You are correct, it is all rainbows and ice cream in Warrington.

I just like Upper Bucks because it's quiet and your money goes a ton further.

We put in work where I work too. I hear Trenton is nice this time of year...lol

liverup
04-02-13, 15:02
Here is the link for the 1000yd range. Its in Ridgway,Pa and they hold NRA High Power and IDPA matches

http://ridgwayrifleclub.com/

Are they black rifle friendly at the range?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

gin828
04-02-13, 16:36
Very black rifle friendly!!!

Pilot1
06-15-13, 11:05
I like Chester County as it is close enough to the population centers for work, culture, etc., but still rural or semi rural in much of the county. It also has a buffer zone from Philly which is somewhat of a rat hole.

sewvacman
06-16-13, 08:31
I moved up here to Gettysburg 12 years ago to get away from those commie Marylanders. It took a bit of adjustment, kind of like living in Mayberry, everything has a much slower, relaxed pace.
Taxes are a killer in the bourough. Food selection is pretty bad, I don't touch the seafood around here. Finding good employees is damn near impossible.
That said, the community is really tight here, they are always there for each other. And a really nice place to raise kids. Free healthcare for the young and old. Close enough to Maryland to go get some crabs from people who know what to do with them.
I like it here in Adams Co.

BoringGuy45
06-24-13, 10:14
Well, as you can see from my location, I got a job in Bucks County. Soooooo nice to see AR-15s in the stores again! It's also nice to drive two minutes in any direction to get most essentials. In northeast Connecticut, it was 15-30 minutes to get anywhere.

SPQR476
06-24-13, 10:45
I'm from Elk County, originally. If I could move my job there, I'd move back in a heartbeat. Hunting, shooting, fishing, family...freakin' 'Murica.

liverup
06-24-13, 16:40
Where at in Elk? I now live in Brockport in Elk county, nice county livin.

SPQR476
06-24-13, 17:03
Middle of absolute nowhere. Jay Township. Went to high school in St. Marys, though.

gin828
06-25-13, 06:35
I live in Kersey 38 years. I do believe we have met.

SPQR476
06-25-13, 08:21
Probably have. It's almost too small an area for us to not have run into each other at some point.