PDA

View Full Version : New .45 ACP

Beachboy
03-30-13, 08:33
So, I decided to try something new, instead of buying another 1911 platform, I recently purchased an FNH FNX .45. This isn't the Tactical version with the threaded barrel and high sights. It's a stainless slide, non coated, over a plastic frame. SA/DA with a thumb safety / decocker that allows Condition One or can decock for conventional DA first round. 15 round magazines, with 3 included in the purchase, along with changeable backstraps.
But the jury is still out on whether it's a keeper or not.
First, it's big, no doubt.
Second the SA trigger is mushy and doesn't reset as quickly as I am long accostumed to.
Third, due to light frame, versus somewhat heavy bullets, the balance noticeably changes as the magazines gets below 5 or 6 rounds.
Fourth, spare magazines and parts have not hit the supply stream yet.

The positives are -
Inexpensive compared to a quality 1911
Comes with 3 X 15 magazines from the factory
Available in either black or FDE
Available in a factory Tactical version, already set up for adding a suppressor or a mini red dot sight.

Anyone else shooting one of these?

mashed68
03-30-13, 13:16
I have an FNP45. I shoot large guns better so this thing and I work very well together. I only have about 600rds threw it but no problems yet. I plan on adding an FNX9 next.

FortySixand2
03-30-13, 13:20
So, I decided to try something new, instead of buying another 1911 platform, I recently purchased an FNH FNX .45. This isn't the Tactical version with the threaded barrel and high sights. It's a stainless slide, non coated, over a plastic frame. SA/DA with a thumb safety / decocker that allows Condition One or can decock for conventional DA first round. 15 round magazines, with 3 included in the purchase, along with changeable backstraps.
But the jury is still out on whether it's a keeper or not.
First, it's big, no doubt.
Second the SA trigger is mushy and doesn't reset as quickly as I am long accostumed to.
Third, due to light frame, versus somewhat heavy bullets, the balance noticeably changes as the magazines gets below 5 or 6 rounds.
Fourth, spare magazines and parts have not hit the supply stream yet.

The positives are -
Inexpensive compared to a quality 1911
Comes with 3 X 15 magazines from the factory
Available in either black or FDE
Available in a factory Tactical version, already set up for adding a suppressor or a mini red dot sight.

Anyone else shooting one of these?

Not a bad gun... Yeah, the 1911s are crazy expensive.

jwfuhrman
03-30-13, 19:42
The only thing I don't love about my FNX 45 is the SERIOUS lack of holsters.....

.46caliber
03-30-13, 19:47
The only thing I don't love about my FNX 45 is the SERIOUS lack of holsters.....

Pistol holsters can be such a curse. I hate that I have to take it into account when shopping for pistols.

Beachboy
03-30-13, 20:12

Yep, this is true. I've been using a Condor adjustable drop loop holster that I keep around for just this reason as a gun toter until I there's more to chose from. Not perfect, but okay for the square range.

Alaskapopo
03-31-13, 00:46

Have any friends that can make a kydex one for you?
Pat

jwfuhrman
03-31-13, 08:02
I had a IWB holster made and have a Raven holster on order

iveschrhis
03-31-13, 08:31
I have one of each.

Both are accurate, as accurate as any of my Glock 21s or my M&P .45 or other contemporary guns. Ergonomics are good - ambi everything, decent slights, switchable backstraps/MSH, etc, grip angle - and at least with my firing grip (thumbs forward) I've had no issues so far with inadvertently decocting during firing strings.

My daily carry is a Glock 21SF with a grip reduction/texturing by Cold Bore Custom.

An issue with transitioning to the FNP/X as a carry gun is the difference of the revolver-like trigger geometry of the DA/SA trigger. This would apply to transitioning to/from an S&W M&P or a Sig or a CZ.

FNP mags work in FNXs though either mag is hard to find nowadays. My limited time experimenting with FNX mags in my FNP were not as successful. The former are very slightly larger and will cycle snap caps, lock the slide back in the FNP but have to be carefully inserted and seem to have a slightly different geometry at full seat, perhaps changing how the top round in the magazine presents to be fed and chambered.

Yup, they're big but functionally, little bigger than say a Lock 21 or a Glock 34/35, or I suppose a full-sized HK. As with any pistol, a well-chosen holster and a stout belt (I mostly use Wilderness Instructor belts) makes all the difference in concealed carry.

I've gotten holsters from: http://dalefrickeholsters.com/ http://www.contactconcealment.com (the very responsive owner had an FNX in-shop for a gov't contract and by happenstance I was able to piggy back on his work for them; don't know if he has one all the time)
and
http://garrettindustries.mybigcommerce.com.

Hope this helps.

jyo
04-06-13, 05:03
I tend to shoot a variety of pistols---some like a S&W/Walther SW99 45 are rare enough not have many holsters made for it. I discovered the Galco belt-slide holster with adjustable tension screw---this fits many pistols. I was able to carry (OWB) the SW99, the HK 45C, HK USPf 9mm, and several others---not everybody likes belt-slide holsters, but having one around lets you holster many weapons.