PDA

View Full Version : APEX POLYMER AEK TRIGGER

majorleaguekennels
03-30-13, 16:20
Hilton Yam posted this on facebook, just thought I would share with everyone. pretty cool, i just put the original metal one in my m&p 45 and wow what a difference, the stock trigger was horrible.
http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=2505

Texaspoff
03-30-13, 23:58
The AEK trigger is a nice addition to the M&P. Even the trigger pad alone would have been a better choice for the M&P. Too bad S&W didn't use this type of trigger in the M&P from the start. I have never liked the hinged trigger in the M&P. Probably one of the reasons I never could warm up to them. Another outstanding part from Apex.

TXPO

rathos
03-31-13, 00:34
I like the metal one just fine. This might make it a little less expensive but if I bought another M&P I would go for the metal trigger again.

jpmuscle
03-31-13, 00:51
Looks good. But is the profile on the metal trigger going to become more rounded as well?

Dos Cylindros
03-31-13, 13:13
Very nice. I might look into this for my spare duty gun.

DocGKR
03-31-13, 15:04
I strongly prefer the hinged standard trigger (usually w/Apex Duty Kit)--it is one of of the things I prefer on M&P's compared to Glocks.

brushy bill
03-31-13, 15:23
I strongly prefer the hinged standard trigger--it is one of of the things I prefer on M&P's compared to Glocks.

Also, doesn't this defeat a potentially useful safety, esp with the non-thumb safety pistols?

jaxman7
03-31-13, 15:52
I strongly prefer the hinged standard trigger--it is one of of the things I prefer on M&P's compared to Glocks.

Same here Doc. Bought their new trigger last year. Put about 1000 rounds through it and just couldn't like it. Not knocking Apex though. I run their DCEAK and extractors and love 'em.

-Jax

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-31-13, 20:36
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that prefers the hinged trigger.

jpmuscle
05-22-13, 02:09
Available for purchase for those interested.

I'm in for one. lol

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid71.html

I like the factory hinged trigger for what it is but it is not substantive enough really for my tastes.

Omega Man
05-22-13, 02:51
I like both the hinged and the AEK. I wish Apex would make a trigger like this for Glock's!

jpmuscle
05-22-13, 02:56
Also, doesn't this defeat a potentially useful safety, esp with the non-thumb safety pistols?

I always surmised that as well, seems pointless to me.

BBS
05-22-13, 07:37
I'll pay the premium for the metal one again in a heartbeat

Texaspoff
05-22-13, 09:11
Available for purchase for those interested.

I'm in for one. lol

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid71.html

I like the factory hinged trigger for what it is but it is not substantive enough really for my tastes.

Ordered Two myself. TXPO

Ty_B
05-22-13, 11:10

What safety is that?

I don't think we can really call that a safety. If your finger, a stick, whatever gets in there, it's got a pretty good chance of pulling the trigger back. You would have to be very lucky for it only to push on the top portion and have it lock up.

Texaspoff
05-22-13, 11:30

The AEK or the FSS trigger do not defeat any of the M&P's safety features. It still has the trigger blocking tab preventing the trigger from travelling rearward unless your finger is on the trigger. The stock M&P trigger does this by pivoting, the Apex part does this with a tab located in the center of a solid trigger, (al la Glock, Walther, Ruger and others).

From a technical standpoint IMO the Apex trigger pad is safer than the factory M&P trigger pad assembly. The Apex trigger has a smaller trigger safety tab, thusly requiring more effort to reach, press and disengage it. The entire bottom half of the factory M&P trigger pad assembly is used to disengage the safety tab. It doesn't require much contact at all to disengage the safety tab.

Think of it like the difference between a standard 1911 grip safety and a memory groove, or bump grip safety. The standard grip safety requires a perfect grip to deactivate the safety. The memory bump grip safety doesn't require the same perfect grip. It allows for easier disengagement via more contact surface. Same principle applies to the above.

I have never really cared for the pivoting trigger myself. My glock's, 1911's, Browning HP's, and every other pistol I own have solid trigger pads. Now my M&P's can have them as well, it just my preference.

TXPO

MrSmitty
05-22-13, 11:33
ETA: Beat me to it ^

I don't see how the AEK trigger would be any 'less safe' than the standard trigger. It is essentially the same design as the Glock trigger.

MegademiC
05-22-13, 11:38
I am thinking of trying one out, I prefer flatter triggers, also, the aek looks as if it still has a trigger safety- similar to the one on glocks. Is this incorrect? I'm not not having a trigger safety, I carry appendix. ;)

john232629
05-23-13, 11:48
Ya know, having never been a glock guy, i've never had a problem with the M&P trigger design. I'd love to try this new one and see if it makes a difference for me, but i doubt it will...my only question is when will Apex just decide to make an entire gun?

ralph
05-23-13, 18:13
Ya know, having never been a glock guy, i've never had a problem with the M&P trigger design. I'd love to try this new one and see if it makes a difference for me, but i doubt it will...my only question is when will Apex just decide to make an entire gun?

That's a good question.. you can bet if Randy ever decided to make a Apex/M&P, out of the box, it'd be damned accurate and damned reliable....

BoringGuy45
05-23-13, 21:30
I really don't like the hinged trigger all that much. I don't hate it, but I prefer straight triggers like in the Glock. I'm really eager to try this new Apex trigger. I'm thinking I'm going to get the FSS with the duty (5 lb) trigger spring.

plt228
05-23-13, 23:17
Just placed my order for the polymer aek kit and ram. Can't wait to get rid of the hinged trigger. Now I've need to order some Heinie's to replace the factory sights while I'm going to be working on my pistol.

opngrnd
05-24-13, 07:26
Can anyone who likes the hinged trigger expound on why? No arguements from me, but if I can learn something I'd like to.

I'm planning on ending up with an AEK trigger. I'll wait a few months to see what people think who have one in both trigger materials. I would think that there would be less trigger flex using an AEK trigger.

I was taking a Combat Focus Shooting class and a fellow student apparently holstered her weapon with some of her shirt in the way. It caught on the trigger of the M&P9 she was using for the class, and the weapon fired. Thankfully, she ended up with only a powder burn. I have wondered if the AEK trigger would have decreased the chances of this having happened. Not that it would fix operator error.

jpmuscle
05-24-13, 19:13
Can anyone who likes the hinged trigger expound on why? No arguements from me, but if I can learn something I'd like to.

I'm planning on ending up with an AEK trigger. I'll wait a few months to see what people think who have one in both trigger materials. I would think that there would be less trigger flex using an AEK trigger.

I was taking a Combat Focus Shooting class and a fellow student apparently holstered her weapon with some of her shirt in the way. It caught on the trigger of the M&P9 she was using for the class, and the weapon fired. Thankfully, she ended up with only a powder burn. I have wondered if the AEK trigger would have decreased the chances of this having happened. Not that it would fix operator error.

This, the hinged trigger is nothing that I would consider safe absent a thumb safety. Anything you inadvertently jam into the trigger guard is likely to press the trigger because its hinged.

My polymer AEK came in today. Very nice piece. Not installed yet.

86 slo-vo
05-24-13, 20:53
I love my AEK triggers, if I had not just decided to swap my 5" pro to a FSS I would be ordering one for my chopped full size.

BUOPtimus Prime
05-27-13, 17:28
I love my metal AEK. I will look forward to more impressions about the polymer version.

jpmuscle
05-27-13, 20:56
Put 150 or so through mine with the poly AEK today.. and I have nothing bad at all to report. It's fantastic.

And its still certainly more M&P/Apex'ish than glockish by far.

DocGKR
05-27-13, 22:07
I prefer the smooth trigger face and easy roll of the standard M&P trigger. I hate the safety tab in the center of the flat Glock type triggers. YMMV. The ability to create different trigger types, add or subtract a manual safety, and easily change the grip shape and size is why I prefer the M&P over the Glock.