PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here In The Electronic Game Design/Production Industry?

Jellybean
03-31-13, 09:50
Well, this is a little off the wall, but since there seems to be one of about every occupation on this board- might as well ask.

Is there anyone on this board- or that you know- that works in the gaming design/production industry? Preferably with an established company?
I'm talking about XBox/PS console type games, not board games.

I'm looking for info on what one would need to have or do to pitch a game idea to a production company.

Yes, I know this sounds weird, but just go with me here...:p

BrigandTwoFour
04-01-13, 09:25
Well, this is a little off the wall, but since there seems to be one of about every occupation on this board- might as well ask.

Is there anyone on this board- or that you know- that works in the gaming design/production industry? Preferably with an established company?
I'm talking about XBox/PS console type games, not board games.

I'm looking for info on what one would need to have or do to pitch a game idea to a production company.

Yes, I know this sounds weird, but just go with me here...:p

One of my oldest friends currently works for Sucker Punch Studios. He is involved in the "Infamous" series. Before that, he worked as a contract on Halo 3, Warhawk, and a few others.

I actually asked him this question a while back. My degree is in computer science, and I took a game design course while working on it. I had some ideas kicking around in my head and wanted to flesh one of them out.

His advice was to write up a detailed game design document and try to do a little coding and graphical work to show proof of concept. If you can get that part done, then you can try and contact one of the design studios. Be wary, though, those guys are often tied up by the publishers (EA, Ubisoft, etc) and do what they're told. They can't just take on a random project.

You would probably be better off fleshing out your idea and recruiting some indy guys to work with you.