PDA

View Full Version : Debating enlarging gas port on centurion barrel

curlyburns5
03-31-13, 23:00
I have a 12.5" centurion arms barrel. I love it. it's far more accurate than I can shoot. But with ammo shortages and all the crazy that's been going on I'm down to shooting my cheap ammo, wolf and pmc bronze. The gun will run like a top with quality 5.56 loads but with the cheap stuff it's a sing shot rifle. The round will fire and eject but will not feed a new round into the chamber to i have to work the charging handle after every shot. I even ran it with a carbine buffer hoping that would solve my problem but no luck. I know centurion makes high end barrels and they're known to have smaller gas ports which are the correct size for shooting the type of quality ammo you should be shooting through a centurion barrel. So i've been thinking about having my upper sent off to have the gas port enlarged to it will reliably cycle with the cheap ammo i have available. So, I guess my question is would you enlarge the gas port to be able to shoot cheap ammo or do you think that such a nice barrel deserves nice ammo and I need to just suck it up and shoot it only when I can afford a box or two of the good stuff every now and them?

spring1271
03-31-13, 23:10
Try a lighter action (buffer) spring first - Wolff Springs-16502 COLT CAR15,M4 .223 & SMG 9MM, RP CARBINE ACTION SPRING 14.99

Iraqgunz
03-31-13, 23:29
I think if you open it to around .076 you will be OK.

Hmac
04-01-13, 07:53
I'd start with buffer springs and buffers before taking a drill to an otherwise good barrel. I was under the impression that drilling a gas port has at least some potential to affect its accuracy. ICBW, but I hate the concept of taking such an irrevocable step unless I've looked at all the other options.

When I built an SBR, I opted for a BCM 11.5 and emailed Paul Buffoni about buffers while I was waiting for the stamp. He recommended an H buffer for that barrel. I have subsequently found that that 11.5 BCM barrel runs PMC Bronze with an H2 buffer all day long without a hiccup. It is virtually the only range ammo that rifle has seen and we're talking about 5000 rounds or more.

IG, do you know what the gas port size is on those BCM barrels?

markm
04-01-13, 08:52
I'd put a silencer on it. I have an 11.5 that I put an insertable port in. It's .063" and a single shot with the can off.

But the smoothest shooting suppressed gun in the world with the silencer on.

Iraqgunz
04-01-13, 17:07
In the same zip code as what I recommended above.

I'd start with buffer springs and buffers before taking a drill to an otherwise good barrel. I was under the impression that drilling a gas port has at least some potential to affect its accuracy. ICBW, but I hate the concept of taking such an irrevocable step unless I've looked at all the other options.

When I built an SBR, I opted for a BCM 11.5 and emailed Paul Buffoni about buffers while I was waiting for the stamp. He recommended an H buffer for that barrel. I have subsequently found that that 11.5 BCM barrel runs PMC Bronze with an H2 buffer all day long without a hiccup. It is virtually the only range ammo that rifle has seen and we're talking about 5000 rounds or more.

IG, do you know what the gas port size is on those BCM barrels?

KUSA
04-01-13, 18:10
If you opened it up couldn't you put an adjustable gas block on it?

markm
04-02-13, 07:40
If you opened it up couldn't you put an adjustable gas block on it?

Yes. But getting a barrel that isn't overgassed is like finding a 4 leaf clover. You don't want to just piss it away. ;)

Jim D
04-02-13, 20:10
You could mount a Noveske KX3 on it to give it some added back-pressure, too.

Neo Mara
04-02-13, 21:58
Try a lighter action (buffer) spring first - Wolff Springs-16502 COLT CAR15,M4 .223 & SMG 9MM, RP CARBINE ACTION SPRING 14.99

If this doesn't work you could also pair it with a JP-LMOS carrier. You can always swap carriers, buffers, and action springs back when you go to 5.56 ammo. Personally I would try CAR buffer (or A5H0 for an A5 RE) with a lightened action spring and JP-LMOS before I opened up a properly gassed barrel.

curlyburns5
04-02-13, 23:57
Yes. But getting a barrel that isn't overgassed is like finding a 4 leaf clover. You don't want to just piss it away. ;)

I'm going to have to agree with markm. I know I have a quality barrel from a quality guy and it's built right. I am going to double check my buffers next time i'm out and then I will try lower powered buffer springs. I will also be keeping an eye out for a deal on a A5 receiver extension assembly. Thanks for the education responses. I greatly appreciate y'all.

p.s. a suppressor is not monetarily feasable at this time. I've got a july wedding I am working on paying for. But a can is always at the top of my wish list.

Thomas M-4
04-03-13, 00:27
How many rounds total do you have through it ? Also what ammuntion have you tried ? If you have less than 500 I wouldn't touch the gas port until you are well past 500 the bcg group smooths up a lot after about 500++rounds. Also in my experience after the 2000 round mark the gas port has just started opening up on its own.

Iraqgunz
04-03-13, 01:40
I tend to agree with this, however I will say that I also have an 11.5" barrel (BFH) and I know the port size is such that I can run PMC Bronze, M855, M193, etc... and it runs fine. Once I added the Vltor A5 and then enhanced LMT carrier it runs like a super raped ape.

How many rounds total do you have through it ? Also what ammuntion have you tried ? If you have less than 500 I wouldn't touch the gas port until you are well past 500 the bcg group smooths up a lot after about 500++rounds. Also in my experience after the 2000 round mark the gas port has just started opening up on its own.

Keith E.
04-03-13, 14:32
Curly,

You could try getting with some of your shooting buds at the range and test components (one at a time) from their firearms. No capital outlay involved on your part other than ammo and getting to the range.

Good Luck, Keith