PDA

View Full Version : Samson MFG just filed for bankruptcy

BrigandTwoFour
04-01-13, 09:19
Read it over at TFB. (/31/samson-manufacturing-files-bankruptcy/)

Looks like Samson and Troy were having it out in the courts over patents and trade secrets. Samson lost.

Anyone in the know about how this will affect future products?

markm
04-01-13, 09:21
They should have merged. Neither of those companies makes anything I'd buy anyway.

grantw1221
04-01-13, 09:22
I honestly dont get what they'd be fighting over, but I agree, they should have merged. Maybe then they could have made some attractive products.

TMS951
04-01-13, 09:29
Always sad to lose an AR parts manufacturer, especialy when it is at the hands of another one.

Samson had no products that interested me, and troy on has sights I like.

Being familiar with both companies I don't really see the copy right infringement thing. I would be interested in if it was over the Evolution rail being to much like the troy tube.

mkmckinley
04-01-13, 09:29
Good move on Samson's part. I don't understand the dislike for Troy's products. They make some of the best BUIS on the market and some of the best customer service in the industry. I stripped the thread inserts in one of my old TRX rails and when I called Troy they offered to switch out all of my TRXs for the new Alphas, free of charge. I've been completely satisfied with the Alphas.

grantw1221
04-01-13, 09:32
i like their BUIS, but after that mehhhhhhhhh..... They just dont make anything appealing to me. I'm not going to buy something I don't like off of CS alone.

Littlelebowski
04-01-13, 09:34
Good move on Samson's part. I don't understand the dislike for Troy's products. They make some of the best BUIS on the market and some of the best customer service in the industry. I stripped the thread inserts in one of my old TRX rails and when I called Troy they offered to switch out all of my TRXs for the new Alphas, free of charge. I've been completely satisfied with the Alphas.

Don't try to understand markm, just laugh with him.

Vec
04-01-13, 10:04
I don't understand the dislike for Troy's products. They make some of the best BUIS on the market and some of the best customer service in the industry. I stripped the thread inserts in one of my old TRX rails and when I called Troy they offered to switch out all of my TRXs for the new Alphas, free of charge. I've been completely satisfied with the Alphas.

X2 ive had excellent customer service from Troy, i lost a screw on my alpha and called to buy a new one, all they asked for was my address and shipped a complete hardware bag NDA for free

caporider
04-01-13, 10:18
Looks like it's a Chapter 11 filing to keep from having to pay the court-ordered award to Troy. Samson will continue to operate as a going concern during bankruptcy proceedings - filling orders, creating new products, etc. There should be no practical effect on customers.

Peshawar
04-01-13, 10:40
That sucks. But yeah, if you're a gun accessories manufacturer and you can't manage to at least break even this year you might be doing it wrong. There have been like ten times that I've looked at something that Samson makes, thought "Hmmmmm, maybe I'll buy that" then quickly dismissed the idea because of some part of the design. Oh well. :p

caporider
04-01-13, 11:26
That sucks. But yeah, if you're a gun accessories manufacturer and you can't manage to at least break even this year you might be doing it wrong. There have been like ten times that I've looked at something that Samson makes, thought "Hmmmmm, maybe I'll buy that" then quickly dismissed the idea because of some part of the design. Oh well. :p

The filing has nothing to do with profitability...

Peshawar
04-01-13, 11:50
The filing has nothing to do with profitability...

From article (http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130328/NEWS02/130329135)-
After Samson moved operations to New Hampshire, the judgment was filed in Cheshire Court Superior Court last December in which a judge upheld the judgment for $933,000.

Not having the cash on hand, Samson requested to make payments over a period of time, but Troy filed a motion in Cheshire County Superior Court to seize the company's property.

I just made the assumption that since they don't have the money to pay Troy for the settlement, that perhaps business wasn't that great. Perhaps I should put away my Jump to Conclusions mat now...

VIP3R 237
04-01-13, 11:58
Is there a chance that this is just an April Fool's joke?

^Rb
04-01-13, 12:34
Is there a chance that this is just an April Fool's joke?

I thought so too, but after seeing this: http://masscases.com/cases/app/76/76massappct575.html

I'm pretty sure it's not.

djmorris
04-01-13, 12:38
They should have merged. Neither of those companies makes anything I'd buy anyway.

What are you smoking? Troy makes excellent products - some of the best. Samson makes pretty decent products, also.

VIP3R 237
04-01-13, 12:41
I thought so too, but after seeing this: http://masscases.com/cases/app/76/76massappct575.html

I'm pretty sure it's not.

Dang, well that sucks for Sampson and Employees. Doesn't Rainier use their rails for their RUC?

justin_247
04-01-13, 13:47
Yes, those two should have merged. That being said, the only Samson product even mildly interesting to me is their Evolution rail (they make a modified version for Rainier Arms that they use on their RUC), and even then it looks way too similar to the old-school Troy TRX rails. I think the new Troy Alpha system is a better design, and Troy makes more interesting products.

Surf
04-01-13, 13:55
I like the Samson Evo EX rails as they are a great option to retain a FSB on a tube type rail.

saddlerocker
04-01-13, 18:45
They are basically declaring bankruptcy to avoid paying debt from the lawsuit. Or at least thats what I gathered.

They posted on TOS that there will be no effect on their business, as far as continuing to provide their products.

Isnt America Great?!

scoutfsu99
04-01-13, 20:42
What are you smoking? Troy makes excellent products - some of the best. Samson makes pretty decent products, also.

You're better off ignoring M4C's most prolific troll. Troy makes good stuff and people seem to like Samson's offerings too.

Samson won the patent case but not the Federal case. Too bad they couldn't work things out.