PDA

View Full Version : fal ???

1911vm
04-01-13, 18:12
I have a FAL that was built by DSA. The gas adjustment is frozen. Any suggestions?

shootist~
04-01-13, 18:30
A few. BTW it sounds like it went a long time w/o being turned (or something), but some just fit tight.

1. Remove handguards and soak it overnight in some Kroil penetrating oil:

2. Brass punch and a tap-tap-tap with a small (gunsmith, not BFH) hammer.

3.Padded set of pliers or channel locks.

4. And there is an adjustment tool that's made for the gas adjustment ring. The smallish combo tool probably won't work in this case, but it's handy to have one in your kit.

If No Joy go back to #2 one and whack it good using a steel punch (maybe with some electrical tape on the end).

1911vm
04-01-13, 19:11
Have never used kroil . You mean literally stick it in a jar or put it on ?

1911vm
04-01-13, 19:12
And where is the best place to get it.

Mr. Happy
04-01-13, 20:46
Top Gun in St. Louis has it! Centrally located, here in The Show-Me State.

shootist~
04-01-13, 21:11
Krol is just squirted on, no need to immerse. Use what you have... WD40, etc. More than likely you just need to force it some and are afraid to crank it over.
No need to baby it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MistWolf
04-02-13, 00:42
Before getting all crazy with Kroil and wrenching on the gas nut, check to see if the handguards are interfering with it. On one FAL I built, I needed to trim the handguards just a bit because they were keeping the gas nut from turning

1911vm
04-02-13, 04:23
I will post pic tonight. this a custom build. free float hand gard

jsbsmarine
04-03-13, 20:19
Try firing a few rounds to heat it up and have a swiss army knife can opener to use as a tool to move teh knob. Does wonders...
Once it moves free shoulndt have anymore issues as long as you keep it clean.

Ready.Fire.Aim
04-03-13, 23:09
And where is the best place to get it.

Auto parts stores, especially the independent ones, sell Kroil. Also MidwayUSA sells it.
I highly recommend you spay it with Kroil and let it sit overnight. It should free it if simply seized up.

RFA