PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint problem

Rudedude916
04-01-13, 23:03
I have an Aimpoint Pro that I bought about 2 months ago. Right after I got it I took it to the range and got it dialed in. No problems. It's been in the safe since then. Just today I picked up my rifle and took a look through the scope and instead of 1 red dot there is a little cluster of 4 or 5 dots. It seems worse on the brighter settings, if I dim it down to the lowest setting there is only 1 dot but as you turn up the brightness it seems like the dot multiplies. Has anyone else had this problem? How can I fix this or do I have to send it back to Aimpoint to get fixed? Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Tim

Zane1844
04-01-13, 23:10
Hmm. This may be no help at all however:

I noticed with my T1 that the dot appeared to be split in half. I rotated it how Aimpoint suggest and since the dot stayed the same no matter which way the optic was rotated, it was the way my eyes persevered the dot. I never noticed that before, nor did I with my Comp M3- they both look exactly the same.

So for me it was my brain, though when I focus on the target not the dot its perfectly round looking.

Sorry if this did not help, but that is my experience with it. I hope you get it sorted out.

jack crab
04-01-13, 23:50
Does anyone else see the same thing? I am wondering if this is an eye issue rather than sight issue.

I have some astigmatism. When I shot bullseye pistol league, the red dot on my pistol would sometimes be a nice, crisp dot. Other times, depending on how my contacts sat, how the day at work went, etc., it would be like a figure 8 or star. Dot brightness would affect this too. Dim it down to make it a finer dot.

So, maybe consider whether stress, fatigue, etc. might have changed your vision in the last two months.

Sixgunner
04-02-13, 07:40
Have someone with better vision look through it. If they see the same thing send it in. Aimpoint should take care of it. You should be able see a clear dot not a star burst.

C45P312
04-02-13, 08:03
Have someone else look through it to confirm. Worst case you can also send it back. Thier CS is good to go in my book.

luvmy40
04-02-13, 21:33
Try focusing through your rear flip up.
I get a blurry dot due to astigmatism but it clears up a great deal when viewed through the peep.

Rudedude916
04-27-13, 11:22
Thanks guys. And the verdict is........ It's MY lousy eyesight and not my gear. I guess it's time for glasses. First I looked through the sight and rotated it and the dot cluster did not rotate with the sight, then I had a friend look at it and it checked out.:suicide2:

Hmac
04-27-13, 11:35
Thanks guys. And the verdict is........ It's MY lousy eyesight and not my gear. I guess it's time for glasses. First I looked through the sight and rotated it and the dot cluster did not rotate with the sight, then I had a friend look at it and it checked out.:suicide2:

Probably astigmatism. Note that optimal correction for astigmatism is something that occasionally gets glossed over at some optical labs...might be especially true of some of the "two-for-one" specials or some of the "grind your lens while you wait" places.

Note that the red dot on an Aimpoint is projected in the same plane as the target. That means that you want your glasses to be optimal for distance vision. Bifocals are unnecessary. You don't need or want any close focusing to use a red dot sight.

If you have doubt about it being the sight vs your eyesight, use a camera with a good lens to take a picture through the sight, see what the dot looks like.

jnichols2
04-27-13, 12:16
So for me it was my brain, though when I focus on the target not the dot its perfectly round looking.

A lot of folks say it clears up when you focus on the target, not the dot. Also; if the target is very close, like looking at a wall in the house, you see it. But focus on a target 25-30 yards away and it goes away.

I see it in the house, but it goes away if I look out the window.

If I focus on a target 50 yards away with both eyes, it looks like the dot is also 50 yards away.

The interaction between the eye and brain is indeed complicated.

Hmac
04-27-13, 12:23
A lot of folks say it clears up when you focus on the target, not the dot. Also; if the target is very close, like looking at a wall in the house, you see it. But focus on a target 25-30 yards away and it goes away.

I see it in the house, but it goes away if I look out the window.

If I focus on a target 50 yards away with both eyes, it looks like the dot is also 50 yards away.

The interaction between the eye and brain is indeed complicated. In this case, however, it's much more a matter of optics than eye/brain interaction.

Tiny Killer Robot
04-29-13, 04:21
Astigmatism here too. I have a ML3 and if I focus on the dot it is not round and has some 'spider webbing' around the edges. I focus on a target farther than 15 yards away and it appears to be round and clear.

Robb Jensen
04-29-13, 06:24
Reminder of M4Cs rules:

Rule #4) Contact The Manufacturer or Dealer First – Internet forums have a large global audience and unsubstantiated or ill-informed comments will affect the livelihoods of a lot of hard working people in the industry. If you have an issue with a manufacturer or dealer that you would like to resolve, we ask that your first contact them to resolve it.