PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Question

joesuits4
04-02-13, 10:00
Is it best to insert the magazine with the BCG open or closed?

Thanks

markm
04-02-13, 10:09
If you're going to chamber a round, open is optimal. Closed is fine too though.

flyfishnevada
04-02-13, 11:52
I believe some mags will not seat with the BCG forward if they are full. I've only got PMAGS and they will seat with thirty rounds, but others won't from what I've heard. Other than that I suppose it depends on what you're doing later, shooting it or setting it aside for defensive purposes.

flyfishnevada
04-02-13, 12:09
Internet hiccup caused a double post.

!Nvasi0n
04-02-13, 13:12
Under range conditions...open, unless you're drilling on a tactical style reload. No need to out undue pressure on a mag spring.

Under defensive use, you probably won't be worried about "best practice methods"...and will fall back to training.

mpom
04-02-13, 14:27
You are over thinking this; bolt locks back when mag is empty, so reload, don't drop bolt first. If replacing a magazine containing live rounds, just do it, don't lock bolt back. If loading at range after pulling weapon from case, or with bolt locked back after a cease fire, then leave bolt back...

Mark

Sheriff880
04-02-13, 16:33
Either way is fine

Travis B
04-02-13, 20:13
Seating a mag with the bolt closed is a great reason to download to 28 rounds in your mags. It isn't necessary but I value the increased probability of the mag seating fully with 28 rounds more than I value those last two rounds.