PDA

View Full Version : Barrel question

deerndove14
04-02-13, 11:02
Hey guys, I've got a Savage Model 10 I want to re barrel. I see that ER Shaw offers kits, but Shilen offers barrels that are supposedly "drop in". I understand the basic process of removing and installing the new barrel, as well as checking headspace etc. However, what I need to know, is what is a quality barrel, that is relatively painless to install. I would also like to see some accuracy tests of different barrels and calibers. If anyone could point me in a direction that would be excellent. Thank you and God bless
-dove

okie john
04-02-13, 11:36
Shaw and Shilen both have good reputations, but there's a lot more to the equation. Bedding, how the action is set up, crown, chamber, and a lot of other variables come into play. And that's just the rifle. Which cartridge and load you choose plays a huge role as well.

If you want minimum hassle and maximum utility, get a .308.

Okie John

deerndove14
04-02-13, 11:51
Thanks okie. I know there are a lot of variables to the rifle and my loads. A 308 is an excellent round, and I've seen many a deer, yote, or pretty much any other furry critter fall to its glory. Hell, I may not even re barrel it, I might just get a Stevens 200 in 308. But man, that 22-250 is pretty badass too.