PDA

View Full Version : Found 180gr. Gold Dot .40 S&W bullet loaded in a Blazer Aluminum case.

PA PATRIOT
04-02-13, 17:03
As the title suggests I was hooked up by a friend with a private seller who has a few cases of CCI Blazer Aluminum cased .40 S&W 180gr. Gold Dot Hollow Points. The product codes on the boxes are 03590 and A08F1.

Now I always understood that the Blazer Aluminum line was manufactured to be sold as cheap as possible but it seems weird that such a low end ammunition line would have been loaded with Gold Dot H/P's.

Maybe a PD contract that was canceled and the ammunition made it to the retail distributors but I cant find any information on the loading.

Also I know that back in the day .40S&W had a problem with thin cases that could blow out in unsupported chambers and I'm wondering if the same ever happen with Blazer Aluminum cases?

Anyone heard of this off beat Gold Dot offering?

foxtrotx1
04-02-13, 18:01
I did a quick google search and a number of hits came up, including some youtube videos.

ST911
04-02-13, 19:07
Anyone heard of this off beat Gold Dot offering?

It's seen from time to time. In addition to the 50rd boxes, I've also seen it bulk-packed in 200 or 250rd boxes. The batch I had shot fine and was priced to be economy training fodder.

PA PATRIOT
04-02-13, 20:45
I did a quick google search and a number of hits came up, including some youtube videos.

I tried numerous variations and only standard brass cased results came back, can you post links to your Aluminum cased results please.

It's seen from time to time. In addition to the 50rd boxes, I've also seen it bulk-packed in 200 or 250rd boxes. The batch I had shot fine and was priced to be economy training fodder.

I searched the CCI standard and L/E websites and found nothing, I was wondering if this stuff was loaded to actual Gold Dot velocities or is it some weak training load.

The seller has 4000rds of the stuff and we agreed on $6.50 a box of 50rds on full cases and $6.00 a box if I take it all. But I want to make sure that this stuff does not have a history of problems but finding information on this particular load does not seem abundant.

I want to use it as a cheap training load out of a Glock and .40S&W carbine but since it does have a Gold Dot bullet I would consider saving a case for a last ditch defensive SHTF use.

CoryCop25
04-02-13, 20:50
I just saw a few boxes at a gun show a couple weeks ago. It was 9MM Largo ammunition with aluminum case and Gold Dot bullets.

ST911
04-02-13, 22:28
I searched the CCI standard and L/E websites and found nothing,

Always best to call in to ATK's LE folks direct. They load and package all kinds of stuff that's not cataloged.

I was wondering if this stuff was loaded to actual Gold Dot velocities or is it some weak training load.

I did not chrono it, but it felt and performed like standard GDHP loadings.

PA PATRIOT
04-03-13, 13:18
Had a friend who was going to the range today so I asked if he would run a box of this stuff through his Glock Model-22 which he was happy to do until he saw the stuff was aluminum cased, It seems many have a aversion to shooting aluminum cased ammunition especially in a Glock. But I assured him his Personal Choice insurance would most likely cover any damage done to his hand so since it was "Free" range ammo he consented.

My friend had a Chrony F1 Chronograph set up at 15 feet as he has testing some new .45acp hand loads and he fired all 50rds and the Chrony averaged the velocity and the S/D.

The results were surprising being the average velocity of the 50rds fired was 1014fps with a S/D of 18 which is right there with the brass cased version. I almost expected the average to be some were around 980fps as I have seen in the blazer 180gr FMJ loadings.

He also returned the 50 fired cases and I did not see any splitting or signs of pressure but I did notice under magnification that there was a almost undetectable case bulge on every case. Most likely it was caused by the unsupported chamber at the feed ramp (6 o-clock) that all Glock .40S&W barrels have.

I still have a minor concern with a aluminum case in a Glock barrel but the first 50rds fired seemed fine so I will give the purchase serious consideration.

markm
04-03-13, 15:12
I've shot plenty of Aluminum Blazer in my G22 over the years. Never gave it a second thought. :confused:

TriviaMonster
04-03-13, 15:20
I've shot a few boxes of Blazer Alum. before and never had any bulges or anything in my G23 3rd gen. At that price and velocity I would be all over those right now. Blast a couple hundred through and let us know the results. Otherwise, good find sir.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

BullittBoy
04-04-13, 08:38
I had some boxes back in the late 90's. They used to load the stuff as practice ammo for your "duty" ammo. Had it in 155 and 165 flavors too.
It is great ammo economically priced, I have shot thousands and thousands of .380, 9mm, .40, 10mm and .45 in Blazers and never had any issues and they are way cleaner than most brass economical ammo

jstone
04-09-13, 16:55
for that price you could pull the bullets and sell for more as long as they are not over crimped. at that price i would not worry about the aluminum case at all. if you do not want to shoot it you should buy it anyways throw it on gunbroker with a reserve at 12$ a box. you will at least double your money, but aluminum cases should be the least of your worries.