PDA

View Full Version : WTF Is The Deal With People On Craigslist...?

SteyrAUG
04-02-13, 18:17
Every now and then I go looking for stuff in used condition so I don't pay new prices. I also try and find things that they don't make anymore. It's basically an online garage sale where people ask for way too much for their shit in the hope that some idiot will pay that price.

But some people see those "for sale" prices and think that is the going rate and ask the same for their crap. Usually I try and get a better deal by offering to take "everything" even if it means I have to unload or even pitch some of the crap. It never fails they have one or two interesting things and 10 lbs. of garbage right out of a Bud K catalog.

But I swear you'd think some of these people were selling gold coins below market value.

I've tried to put together 3 different deals in the last month and as soon as I tried suggestion some negotiated price i got back a **** Off email.

:lol:

My favorite is "Sorry....SOLD" even though they still have it listed everywhere. These people wouldn't last ten seconds trying to sell in the firearms community.

And of course they all only accept paypal, BUT they want you to send the money as a "gift" so you pay the transaction fees and have no buyer protection if they send you a box full of broken junk or nothing. After all it was a cash gift not a purchase.

jmnielsen
04-02-13, 18:23
You know what is worse than a lot of people trying to sell on Craigslist? Some of the people trying to buy. I had a motorcycle for sale once or $3k. It was $1k under KBB value and I can't tell you how many kids came, looked at it, and said "well I only have $1500, will that work?" Or "I'll buy it cash right now for $2k and take it off your hands."

Th exact same thing happened when I sold my car. I don't sell on CL anymore. I agree that many people ask wayyy too much for their junk, though.

Moose-Knuckle
04-02-13, 18:55
And here I was on set for a good juicy thread about their personals. :(

The last time I moved I put a lot of stuff on CL, junk that I did not want/need as I was moving in with my now wife. I got my asking price for everything I sold except some ab bench that I had to just throw in a dumpster as it never sold.

True story.

A buddy of mine was going through a divorce from his first wife and moved into a single bedroom apartment and had to buy a used washer and dryer off a friend of his for $150. Turns out the washer and dryer originated from some rent-a-center. Then I found myself going through a divorce from my first wife and moving into a small apartment some time later. My buddy was getting married to his now second wife and needed to get rid of the washer and dryer so I bought them off of him for $150. A few years later when I moved in with my current wife (gee that sounds bad) I sold said washer and dryer on craigslist for $150. :D

If some items could talk . . .

Safetyhit
04-02-13, 19:01
Craigslist = classified newspaper ad. You often have no real idea who is on the other end.

Spiffums
04-02-13, 20:56
And here I was on set for a good juicy thread about their personals. :(

The last time I moved I put a lot of stuff on CL, junk that I did not want/need as I was moving in with my now wife. I got my asking price for everything I sold except some ab bench that I had to just throw in a dumpster as it never sold.

True story.

A buddy of mine was going through a divorce from his first wife and moved into a single bedroom apartment and had to buy a used washer and dryer off a friend of his for $150. Turns out the washer and dryer originated from some rent-a-center. Then I found myself going through a divorce from my first wife and moving into a small apartment some time later. My buddy was getting married to his now second wife and needed to get rid of the washer and dryer so I bought them off of him for $150. A few years later when I moved in with my current wife (gee that sounds bad) I sold said washer and dryer on craigslist for $150. :D

If some items could talk . . .

Talk about holding your value!

Belmont31R
04-02-13, 21:27
I sold my car on there with no problems. Guy came up from San Antonio with cash in hand after contacting me the night before. A little haggling on the condition...I knocked off a couple hundred for various things but worked out great. Wasn't cheap, either, 2007 350Z.

Honu
04-03-13, 00:31
Yo mofo meet me behind walmart at 1 am so I can buy that ipad from ya !
Seems some idiots fall into that ! :)

Only thing we craigs list are baby clothes and stuff people would hopefully not shoot me over :)
Also meet in a busy parking lot

Might do some computer stuff ?

Also local only !

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-03-13, 07:28
We use it all the time for horse stuff never had an issue, except for people who delete you add.

streck
04-03-13, 07:35
I only use CL for local transactions. I have zero faith in trying deal with anything that requires shipping. If I can't put in my hand first or assess the other person and walk away if necessary, I don't go through CL.

RMiller
04-03-13, 08:08
I feel I sometimes have to value things a little higher because of lowballers.

Example. Listed an Impala in GOOD condition I had bought to flip. Listed it for $2900 OBO. That's KBB fair condition. First person came to look at it in a day. Offered me $2,000. Then came a few more low ball offers.

Listed it again for $3300, and then finally got close to the original mark. $2,800. I could live with that.