PDA

View Full Version : Walmart employees not selling ammo after a certain time?

Wake27
04-02-13, 18:23
I mentioned this in another thread (can't remember which) but don't think anyone ever responded to it. Have any of you guys ever been denied the sale of ammo at Walmart because of the time of day? I was told a few weeks ago by an employee that VA law doesn't allow the sale of ammo past 10. Not being positive, I didn't argue it but I was pretty sure that wasn't true and have yet to find anything saying it is. I did find a bunch of other people having the same stories at other Walmart's throughout the country. Anyone else have this experience? Is this an actual law that I've somehow missed?

chadbag
04-02-13, 18:30
I mentioned this in another thread (can't remember which) but don't think anyone ever responded to it. Have any of you guys ever been denied the sale of ammo at Walmart because of the time of day? I was told a few weeks ago by an employee that VA law doesn't allow the sale of ammo past 10. Not being positive, I didn't argue it but I was pretty sure that wasn't true and have yet to find anything saying it is. I did find a bunch of other people having the same stories at other Walmart's throughout the country. Anyone else have this experience? Is this an actual law that I've somehow missed?

They may have a store policy having to do with a manager being in house or something. They may also be confused with firearms since the manager is the FFL holder and so there has to be an FFL holder present or some such thing (I am not an FFL so don't know the exact law/regulation) but I would bet it is something to do with either or both of the things I wrote.

A friend of mine used to manage a local Wal-Mart Super Center (he was the head honcho head manager of the whole store) and the store's FFL was in his name and he explained all the company policies to me once but I don't remember the details, but your post jogged my memory enough to think it has to do with certain managers being on site.

(It could be a law too for all I know).

officerX
04-02-13, 18:34
I've only found/bought ammo from my Walmart once since this shit began and it was around 9pm. I haven't heard of/experienced this.

Wake27
04-02-13, 18:36
From what I was reading, Walmart as a whole has no such policy and in most cases it was just that employee.

DTakas
04-02-13, 19:07
I've been told this a two different Wal-Mart’s. Once I ran out around 10:00 to pick up some extra ammo for shooting the next day and was told they had a store policy not to sell ammo after 9:00 PM. Another time while I was working steady midnights I was doing some shopping around 2:00 am on a day off and tried to stock up on some Winchester white box value packs while I was there. The employee on the floor seemed to think it was fine but he had to call the security manager to get the key for the display case and the security guy started acting all suspicious asking why I was out so late, what kind of ammo I wanted to buy, how much etc. then told me he couldn’t sell it outside of regular business hours. He clearly thought he was saving the world from the next mass shooting. :rolleyes:

obucina
04-02-13, 19:15
i occasionally venture into WIC Mart around midnightish to pick up random groceries and always make a point to eyeball the ammo case. The clerks never seem to have a problem asking if I need anything out of the case...but I dont have anything chambered in 7mm rem-mag or WSM.

I did get lucky on some surplus 12gauge buck in the green hull! I do know that they maintain a 3 box per customer limit, mom happened to be with me and picked up the other 2 boxes, so I scored everything!:cool:

dash1
04-02-13, 19:20
That happened to me here in Kentucky. The clerk told me it is state law.

Smash
04-02-13, 19:21
This exact shit happened to me last night. I have bought ammo from this specific Wal mart after 11pm before. Last night I left the gym at 11:30pm and decided to go to Walmart for some food and thought I'd see if I could get the freshly stocked ammo. The guy said he hadn't put the nights ammo out yet but that I couldn't buy any between 10pm-7am anyway. Wtf.

jmnielsen
04-02-13, 19:26
I'm at Walmart now in Nebraska, never seen this before until today.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/03/ubapahus.jpg

Wake27
04-02-13, 19:50
That's ironic.

Smash
04-02-13, 19:52
That's ironic.

Yeah, since you started this thread less than 24hrs after it happened to me. Creeper.

Straight Shooter
04-02-13, 19:56
JUST this morning at 0630 I had the manager tell me they couldn't sell before 0700. I said "WHy? I was in here yesterday morning and bought a lot of ammo".
He said yes, he knew about that, and had scolded the employees for doing it. If I recall, he said something about it being a "state law".
I doubt that, might be tho.
Anyway, got 150 more rounds of 9mm this morning, $14 & change per box.

officerX
04-02-13, 21:10
That happened to me here in Kentucky. The clerk told me it is state law.

I'm in Frankfort, where are you?

aflin
04-02-13, 22:05
I'm in Lexington and it's hasn't happened to me...

That is not law...that is a load of Bull

Wake27
04-02-13, 22:17
Yeah, since you started this thread less than 24hrs after it happened to me. Creeper.

;)...

dash1
04-03-13, 18:53
I'm in Frankfort, where are you?

A little South of Louisville.

Crow Hunter
04-03-13, 23:15
I have seen that sign in Wal-marts in Tennessee before.

I remember this from quite a while ago too.

I haven't been to a WIC Mart (I like that:)) after 7 PM in a LONG time. I usually swing by on my lunch break if I absolutely have to go.

Seems I remember it being different between stores. I am pretty sure I remember it in Clarksville. (I haven't lived there since 2007)

Abraxas
04-04-13, 00:29
I have experienced this before. It is not their most stringently enforced policy. Speratic at best.

Split66
04-04-13, 01:01
Nope. I walked out with 1000 rounds of 9mm the other night @ 23:00. Guy before me bought 1000 rounds of 9mm and 5000 plus rounds of 22lr.

Iraqgunz
04-04-13, 01:16
What some idiot has done (more than likely) is confused the times that they can run a NICS check for firearms with ammunition sales. There is no law that I am aware (at least in AZ) and they seem to have the same policies.

I'm almost willing to bet that if you ask the store manager or the FFL at the store no one will be able to show this so-called law.

dash1
04-04-13, 05:31
I called a local Walmart and asked about this policy. The lady I spoke with said 'corporate office directs us to not sell ammunition after 10pm'. She gave a couple of reasons for this policy, one of which was fewer associates were available between 10 pm and 7am. I searched on line but couldn't find anything. I'm fairly certain that there is no law requiring no sales after 10pm.

Wake27
04-04-13, 06:42
Nope. I walked out with 1000 rounds of 9mm the other night @ 23:00. Guy before me bought 1000 rounds of 9mm and 5000 plus rounds of 22lr.

I guess that Walmart didn't enforce the 3 box limit?

onado2000
04-04-13, 07:16
I have heard walmart employees are buying ammo to resell on ebay/online for profit.

kid presentable
04-04-13, 07:41
I have heard walmart employees are buying ammo to resell on ebay/online for profit.

I have also seen employees from LGS camping out at Walmart to sell at a higher price in their shops.

Wake27
04-04-13, 11:06

Pretty sure eBay doesn't allow the sale of ammo, but I get your point. I've just resorted to calling the two local ones every morning just after 7 to see if they got any ammo in the night before.

BH321
04-04-13, 12:49
I was at Walmart last month around 23:00 and was told the exact same thing about it being against state law. They were stocking the shelves at the time so I figured they might not let me purchase any, but there response sort of took me by surprise. In any case, I had to go back at 07:00 the following morning and deal with all of the slime from the local gun stores who buy it to resell. I REALLY hate the guy who keeps buying up all the 22 as it is hard enough to get as it is.

Wake27
04-04-13, 15:51
I was at Walmart last month around 23:00 and was told the exact same thing about it being against state law. They were stocking the shelves at the time so I figured they might not let me purchase any, but there response sort of took me by surprise. In any case, I had to go back at 07:00 the following morning and deal with all of the slime from the local gun stores who buy it to resell. I REALLY hate the guy who keeps buying up all the 22 as it is hard enough to get as it is.

I don't know how there's not some type of regulation against that.

SIGguy229
04-04-13, 16:22
I'd make them show me the state law..."well, what code and section so I can look it up myself....right here on my smart phone"

cougar_guy04
04-04-13, 17:13
They may have a store policy having to do with a manager being in house or something

One local to me changed the policy to no ammo sales before the sporting goods manager came in in the AM and restocked. Just a WAG on my part, but I'm guessing it had something to do with people stopping by at 0300 and trying to snag what they could before it hit the shelves.

One morning I had to get something early and there were 12 people lined up at 0700 to get ammo at 0730-0800 (whenever the sporting goods manager came in). Would probably explain why there's nothing left except .25-06, 7mm Rem Mag, and .300 WSM when I come by after work.

Iraqgunz
04-05-13, 05:05
I don't see how since you can't sell ammo on eBay.