PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have swapped from5.56mm to 7.62mm

AFCATM
04-02-13, 18:57
Sorry I guess I should have asked how many have temporarily hung up thier AR's for thier old BR's. I had a few conversations recently with a few friends and regular customers and many have noticed 7.62/.308 about the same price as and easier to find as 5.56mm. I guess the best way to explain it is like the how alot of people got back into the 1911 during the ban. I was wondering if anyone else is seeing it too. Most of the guys i talked to have been dustong off thier m1a's,fal's and hk91's. I was kind of suprised. I am kind of jealous anytime they break out thier fal's. Love that gun. Lol

fjkhoury01
04-02-13, 21:50
Most definitely both 308 and 556 are a dollar a round so i switched from the SCAR16s to the FAL for social use. Its the same price down range but far greater effect on target. That coupled with the DSA 30 round mags id say 7.62 nato is a great all around home defense round, so long as you live alone.

xrayoneone
04-02-13, 22:06
I've gone back to 7.62 but in the 30-06 & 30 Carbine flavor. I was going through my ammo and realized I have a ton of 30 Carbine and '06. I have four M1 Carbines, it was my first semi automatic rifle and I love the darn things. I also have a couple Garands that see frequent range use. Magazines and clips are so easy to find and CHEAP that these old warriors have a renewed appeal to me.

30 Carbine should be inexpensive but it is troubling when I can rip through 200 rounds of 30-06 for half the price of the same quantity of 5.56.

Eddiesketti
04-07-13, 15:51
I have switched back to 7.62. Ammo is one factor.

jyo
04-07-13, 17:14
I've found it best to have a couple of each---the 223 is great for shorter range business, but the 308 is king in desert or over-the-water games. Way back, when I was managing large gunstores, I remember LEOs from Border and Sea coming into the shop to purchase 308s (FAL, M1A, HK 91 etc.) with their own money because they felt they needed the extra range in their jobs. Sooooooo, don't be stuck with the wrong tool for the job at hand---have both...

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-07-13, 20:39
Add me to the list. I had toyed with .308 on and off for years but once I sold my M16 I realized the poodle shooter didn't hold my interest anymore. I have owned a couple of SCAR-17s but the classic battle rifles are where it is at in my opinion. A good FAL or G3 is designed to be used on an atomic battlefield. That basically means when people are looking to replace bent receiver extensions for their MR762s and are superguling their SCAR-17 stocks back on the old line battle rifles will still be chugging along.:D

halmbarte
04-08-13, 09:44
I went the other way: I was running 7.62x39 for about 5 years as 556 ammo was twice the price of usable AK fodder.

Two years ago I switched back to 556 as ammo prices had pretty much stabilized: cheap .223 was just about as much as cheap 7.62x39.

There are some advantages to .223/556 vs 7.62 Sov: flatter trajectory and lower recoil being the main ones.

I did keep the AK, however.

H

Failure2Stop
04-08-13, 09:52
For a 14.5" barrel, I prefer 5.56 for the 3-200 envelope.

For a 9-12.5" barrel, I prefer .300 BLK, especially if wanting to switch between greatest signature reduction and mid-range schwackability.

For a 16" barrel I prefer 7.62 for the 3-600 envelope, especially if barriers are a significant factor.

If I could have only one, it would be 7.62.

SPQR476
04-08-13, 09:53
I have caliber ADD. I shoot more 5.56 now than I have in a long time, but I still find myself bouncing around and shifting primary focus as the mood hits me and the situation changes. 5.45, 7.62x39, and .308 all get play.

S. Galbraith
04-08-13, 10:59
Add me to the list. I had toyed with .308 on and off for years but once I sold my M16 I realized the poodle shooter didn't hold my interest anymore. I have owned a couple of SCAR-17s but the classic battle rifles are where it is at in my opinion. A good FAL or G3 is designed to be used on an atomic battlefield. That basically means when people are looking to replace bent receiver extensions for their MR762s and are superguling their SCAR-17 stocks back on the old line battle rifles will still be chugging along.:D

I agree. Given the advancements in lighter materials, along with better recoil suppression technology, larger calibers are easier to carry and handle now days. Particularly if you reload, there is more appeal in using the larger caliber than the smaller.

markm
04-08-13, 11:11
No chance. We invested heavily in reloading equipment and supplies in the year leading up to this goat screw... not by design... just lucky timing.

If the market stays tight for another 12 months, we my go to shooting bolt guns more and gas guns less.

I have to imagine that the new found gun love imbeciles will go back to watching Dancing with the stars and forget about wanting ammo at some point... and shit will hopefully normalize for the rest of us.

JoshNC
04-08-13, 11:57

You sold your m16?

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-08-13, 13:34
Yeah. I couldn't resist. People were paying outrageous amounts a month or so ago.

AFCATM
04-08-13, 13:50
I am sitting on a colt ar that i bought new a few months ago before the current chaos. I bought a crap load of mags but i can find any ammo. I work in the industry and am seriously considering swapping calibers and platform. Playing with the idea of a socom 16 i can still find ammo for 308 ans m1a mags. I just dont know right now. Its aggrivating.

Failure2Stop
04-08-13, 13:58
Playing with the idea of a socom 16 i can still find ammo for 308 ans m1a mags. I just dont know right now. Its aggrivating.

If that was my 7.62 option I would stick to 5.56.

AFCATM
04-08-13, 14:07
Lol well i cant find a dsarms fal in my area. Not going to get a POS fal clone. I dont like the Hk91 clones. Not a huge fan of the 308 ar platform or the scar models.

Failure2Stop
04-08-13, 14:58
Lol well i cant find a dsarms fal in my area. Not going to get a POS fal clone. I dont like the Hk91 clones. Not a huge fan of the 308 ar platform or the scar models.

If the price is the prime factor pushing you away from AR-based 7.62 guns and the SCAR-H, I understand, but from a function, optic mounting, and precision standpoint, they kick the living dog-scheiße out of M14 based platforms, especially the shorties. This is from a guy that used to be a huge M14 fan.

doodi1
04-08-13, 15:19
No chance. We invested heavily in reloading equipment and supplies in the year leading up to this goat screw... not by design... just lucky timing.

If the market stays tight for another 12 months, we my go to shooting bolt guns more and gas guns less.

I have to imagine that the new found gun love imbeciles will go back to watching Dancing with the stars and forget about wanting ammo at some point... and shit will hopefully normalize for the rest of us.

LOL!!:D

SPQR476
04-08-13, 15:19
I've got a Socom and a 22" loaded M1As providing ballast in my safe. I used to be a huge M14 fan, too. 8-10 years ago, there weren't a whole lot of consistently reliable .308 options out there.

I went roller locker shortly after that--before the current maturing of the AR variants-- and my personal .308 battery is largely that to this day, although I run AR variants also.

AFCATM
04-08-13, 15:41
Im open to recommendations on 308's. As far as AR 308's I have never been a fan. We can argue the R&D aspect for 308 vs 5.56 or the fact that 308's are not as standardized as the 5.56 models such as mags and some parts. I just like the classics when it comes to the 308's like tha FAL being my first choice and the M1A being second. Parts,mags and odds and ends are easy to find. I have shot all three (m14, hkg3,fn fal) full auto and semi. I felt best control and ergos with the fal. Best accuracy on semi at range was m14. Full auto they were all about the same which was neat but terrible. Hk i just hated in almost every aspect but cleaning it.

Eddiesketti
04-08-13, 19:24
I will respond with more than my previous post. As Greg mentioned above, I took the aspect of looking for a battle rifle. Sturdy, reliable, eats anything. I can also shoot deer with it if I so choose. In Wisconsin, the minimum caliber to shoot deer is .224. I had a .308 that I sold to another forum member. It was what I should have stuck with. I am not worried about weight. I can carry it just fine all day if I need to. Ammo prices are almost identical right now. People are scrounging for 5.56 and gouging at gun shows when .308 is just sitting there.

SteyrAUG
04-08-13, 21:19
Most definitely both 308 and 556 are a dollar a round

God this bullshit has to stop. I know what prices are but it's still painful to see them in print.

I still remember buying Radway Green and Hirtenburger .308 for about $150 for 1000 rounds and then just burning it through my G3s and 21.

Blayglock
04-08-13, 22:25
I have. I will keep 1 AR and am selling the rest. Going to use my m1a as my primary. The last 6 months have sparked an intense desire for me to be rid of all things superfluous in my life including a caliber that I feel is only really good for one thing.

armakraut
04-08-13, 23:38
Where did you see .308 for a buck a round? I generally only see it for a buck fifty :p

JoshNC
04-09-13, 00:32
God this bullshit has to stop. I know what prices are but it's still painful to see them in print.

I still remember buying Radway Green and Hirtenburger .308 for about $150 for 1000 rounds and then just burning it through my G3s and 21.

Yup. I kick myself for not buying an outrageous amount of 9, 5.56, and 7.62 when it was cheap.

Eddiesketti
04-09-13, 07:12
Where did you see .308 for a buck a round? I generally only see it for a buck fifty :p

Local gun shops. I have seen it on Armslist and websites as well.

eodinert
04-10-13, 03:39
Swapped? What is this 'swapped' thing you speak of?

Added...of course. Swapped? Never.

steelerfan88
04-12-13, 16:03
Sorry I guess I should have asked how many have temporarily hung up thier AR's for thier old BR's. I had a few conversations recently with a few friends and regular customers and many have noticed 7.62/.308 about the same price as and easier to find as 5.56mm. I guess the best way to explain it is like the how alot of people got back into the 1911 during the ban. I was wondering if anyone else is seeing it too. Most of the guys i talked to have been dustong off thier m1a's,fal's and hk91's. I was kind of suprised. I am kind of jealous anytime they break out thier fal's. Love that gun. Lol

I'm a 5.45 man myself......ammo is cheap right now too !

armed_zebra
04-12-13, 16:23

This x1000. Its these idiots who are causing the ammo shortage, not DHS or any other .gov agency. The media fearmongering + tin foil is where the real problem is coming from.

JoshNC
04-12-13, 16:30
The only way to stop the panic prices is for people to stop panic buying.

falnovice
04-12-13, 17:51
Agreed.
There was a huge panic in 2008.
I got some great deals in 2009. :)
Then I got some mind blowing deals in 2010 when the panic buyers realized they were going to be okay, and the investment gougers discovered they would not be rolling over magazines like they thought.

Regarding the OP, I can't say that I swapped.....I never really left my FALs.

Texas42
04-12-13, 19:06
I will respond with more than my previous post. As Greg mentioned above, I took the aspect of looking for a battle rifle. Sturdy, reliable, eats anything. I can also shoot deer with it if I so choose. In Wisconsin, the minimum caliber to shoot deer is .224. I had a .308 that I sold to another forum member. It was what I should have stuck with. I am not worried about weight. I can carry it just fine all day if I need to. Ammo prices are almost identical right now. People are scrounging for 5.56 and gouging at gun shows when .308 is just sitting there.

5.56 shoots a .224" bullet.

jwperry
04-13-13, 18:18
I was finalizing switching back into ARs after 12 months of 7.62 AKs and 18 months of AKs total when all the nonsense started, so I wasn't caught off guard. (except for with 22LR, I don't know wtf happened there..)
If ammo prices stay at the $.60 per round for .223/5.56 into next year I'll cash out and switch back.
I don't ever foresee switching up to a more expensive ammo like x51 or x35 for my primary shooting guns.

JoshNC
04-13-13, 20:56
I will certainly be doing more precision 308 shooting with the OBR. It doesn't feel that bad shooting $1.50 per round precision 308 fodder than paying about the same for 5.56.

One thing is for certain, the fullautos will not be coming out to play for awhile.

Eddiesketti
04-13-13, 21:36
5.56 shoots a .224" bullet.

Guess so after looking it up. Really not the point though. 308 is a better all around round.

Failure2Stop
04-13-13, 21:45
Really? I thought that .223 remington was the only other round it would shoot.

The actual diameter of .223 Rem/5.56 Nato is .224".

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

Standard
04-13-13, 21:53
When I realized it cost me twice as much to shoot my AR as my Garand, I sold it. Especially in CA, he Garand is arguably a better rifle anyway. I am thinking of selling my 5.45 AK and ammo to pick up an M1A however. The battle rifles just do it for me, and anything with a pistol grip gets neutered here anyway.

PlatoCATM
04-14-13, 20:39
I'm waiting for a backordered MWS, but I don't expect to shoot it all that much once 5.56 ammo and components are back to normal cost. I picked up a couple boxes of magtech M80 $48/50rds last week at the lgs. There were some truck load sales in the 2010 timeframe where winchester 147gr fmj was only around $12/20, so I would pick up several boxes every time just to store. Until recently, the same store had 168 gr FGMM available for $1/rd, I should have bought more when I had the chance.