PDA

View Full Version : I Refinished my 870 Express mag with Pine Tar.

Shoulderthinggoesup
04-02-13, 19:46
Before (not actually my gun, I forgot to take a picture... but this is close)http://i.imgur.com/jgV72T7.jpg

Afterhttp://i.imgur.com/vcYaJgt.jpg

The complete album with shots of the process can be seen here: http://imgur.com/a/uj9lD

Explanation:

So, I am in physician assistant school right now and my life sucks. I study all day every day. Think finals week of your worst undergrad semester, every week for a year. I decided I needed a project to blow some stress off so I figured I would refinish my old beat up 870 that was passed down to me from my dad.To start with, I painted the entire gun black with 2000 degree engine paint (pretty much cerakote/alumahyde for half the price) and baked it in the oven. Now, I have to admit that I am a complete dumb ass and did not remove the trigger pack and the heat messed up my hammer spring, which I have had to replace (i may buy a whole used trigger pack and replace it all, just to be safe). Once this was done I started sanding and stripping the old shitty orange finish off. Once this task (which took much to long) was complete I dyed the shitty birch wood with feilbings medium brown stain and then rubbed it down with Tom's Pine Tar mix. I used a Jetboil propane stove to heat the wood/pine tar mix and even (by burning) the completely shitty, uneven darkness of the wood which took dye in a completely ****ed up fashion (this was expected....). After multiple multiple coats and a few weeks (school and all...) I finally finished the pine tar and then did my final coats of Tom's 1/3rd mix. It has made the wood feel velvety smooth and it smells like campfire (in a good way, imo).

The only issue I am currently having is that the wood is bleeding dye slightly. I am hoping a few more good wipe downs and another coat or two of 1/3rd should cure it.

In the near future I will likely have the barrel cut to 21 inches, and add a 3 shot extension as this gun will be doing double duty as a home HD shotgun and field bear gun (moving to Alaska when I finish school).

Supplies can be had here: http://www.thegunstockdoctor.com/

Pine tar instructions: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=85350[5]

Kankle Komander
04-03-13, 00:03
Great job, love the finish.

CRAMBONE
04-03-13, 01:13
IF IT WERE MINE. I wouldn't cut the barrel down, 870 barrels can be found for little of nothing. I would just buy a spare short barrel.

filthy phil
04-03-13, 01:17
Cut the bbl yourself, really easy with some electricians tape, pipe clamps for a straight cut, finish with a file. Cut flush with a front end of one of the rib supports.
While youre messing with the trigger maybe install wingmaster parts to have metal trigger guard and other parts

Shoulderthinggoesup
04-03-13, 08:28
I would agree with you jason, but remington does not make a 21 inch ribbed barrel with anything other than a full turkey choke which I don't want because I use slugs sometimes. Thus

GH41
04-03-13, 09:22
Remington does make a 21" ribbed turkey barrel with a screw in choke. I have one. Use any choke tube you want for your slugs. GH

Shoulderthinggoesup
04-03-13, 09:31
Thanks GH. I will have to look around a little harder then.

The only one I saw was for a special field 870, which won't fit my express.

austinN4
04-03-13, 10:41
I will have to look around a little harder then.
If you Google the term "remington 870 barrels" you will find a long list of sellers.

Shoulderthinggoesup
04-03-13, 11:02
Been googling like a mad man and no one seems to care a 21 inch 12 gauge vented (non field special) 870 barrel with fixed IC or Remchoke. Any leads would be welcome :)

I can get the barrel cut and choked for about 75$, So that may end up being the route I go unless I find a barrel for less than 150

GH41
04-03-13, 16:43
Been googling like a mad man and no one seems to care a 21 inch 12 gauge vented (non field special) 870 barrel with fixed IC or Remchoke. Any leads would be welcome :)

I can get the barrel cut and choked for about 75$, So that may end up being the route I go unless I find a barrel for less than 150

Just have it cut and crowned. Don't worry about a choke for buck inside 20-25 yards. If you are shooting at bears beyond that it will just piss them off anyway! Slugs don't need choke. Cylinder bore (Barrel ID) will work fine for your purpose. I'll almost guaranty you it won't shoot straight if you cut it off yourself. GH

Shoulderthinggoesup
04-03-13, 17:44
Yea, I am not gonna cut it myself.... I don't have the tools to do it right imo. I would go without the choke, but I would like one for shooting the occasional 3gun match if I get bored with the saiga.

PA PATRIOT
04-04-13, 19:27
Mossberg makes replacement barrels for Remington shotguns and I have been using one on my 870 for a few years without a single issue. I paid $79.99 on sale for a 18" I/C choke 3" magnum with bead sight and the finish matched up perfectly with the rest of the gun.

aceofspades991
04-11-13, 12:47
Props on the finish on the furniture man, it looks awesome.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-11-13, 17:38
Mossberg makes replacement barrels for Remington shotguns and I have been using one on my 870 for a few years without a single issue. I paid $79.99 on sale for a 18" I/C choke 3" magnum with bead sight and the finish matched up perfectly with the rest of the gun.

I used a mossberg replacement bbl for my old 870 as well. It was a quality piece for under $100.