PDA

View Full Version : Keep, trade or sell?

Elkhound
03-22-08, 09:04
I bought a Sig 556 in December. It sits in the safe, lonely and unused. I guess my question to the board is, if you decide you don't really like one of your purchases, and you never use it, do you keep it and hope someday you will change your mind about it, or do you sell it?

I bought it on a whim, because it was "in stock" and available - not a good reason. Now that I've had it for a while, it just seems a bit "Plasticy" to me.

Maybe if I shot it, I'd actually like it better. But, if I decide to fire it, and still don't like it, won't its resale value drop significantly? Other than listing it as a WTS/WTT on a board, generally, will a retailer take a NIB rifle as a trade, or will there be a beat down on the price because they have to sell it as "used"?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Elkhound

H2O MAN
03-22-08, 09:15
I have no problem selling or trading what I have to get what I want - no regrets.

Abraxas
03-22-08, 09:28
Don’t worry about dropping the value because you shot it. I used to work for Gander Mt and if someone bought a gun and then tried to sell it back 5 min later before they left the store (it happens) it was still considered a used gun. Now you ask about selling, trading or keeping, well I tend to keep all guns that I acquire. I might like them someday if I don’t now or I might develop a use that it works well for, essentially I keep them just in case. The exception to this rule for me is if I have a need that none of my current ones fill and I have no money (as usual) and if I have a gun that I don’t use or like I will trade for what I need (yet another reason to not just get rid of a gun just because you don’t shoot it) But this is just how I see it, hope this helps with your decision

NetJunkie
03-22-08, 10:34
PM where in Central NC you are and how much you want for it if you decide to sell. I am considering picking one up to add to the collection.

varoadking
03-22-08, 20:58
sell it...

nsabjg
03-23-08, 01:35
Sell it to me! No one can tell if you shoot a box of ammo in it, they test fire at the factory, shoot it clean it. If you dont like it then sell it to me. But I will know that you shot it, so the price will be cut in half. :D

tuff
03-23-08, 15:44
Do some horse trading bro!!!!

I decided 6 months ago that I wanted another AR..

Here is how it went..

I had a Remington 700PSS 308.

TRADED straight across for a RockRiver A4 with a M4 contour barrel...

I'm a Colt man, so this was a mere stepping stone in my horsetrading career..

Two weeks later sold it at a G-show to a feller that OFFERED 1200 cash....

Same day I tossed a extra 100.00 with the money and ordered my new Colt 6920....

HECK ITS ALL ABOUT TRADING!!:D :D

shoez
03-23-08, 21:37
Sell or trade! That is how I got my AR. I traded a Ruger Super Blackhawk, an old .22 Remington rifle, a .223 Handi-Rifle and put up some cash to get my Armalite M15A4. (BTW, new to the forum, HI!) Sorry, my Armalite isn't a carbine, but I really like this forum. I do a lot of trading since I am not independantly wealthy, so some guns have to go in order for me to have the next thing I can't live without. Some stay for years, some less than a week. The Armalite I think will stay. Trading is kind of fun anyway. My local shop wheels and deals pretty good.