PDA

View Full Version : Shorter buttstock options for the 870?

M4arc
04-04-13, 12:12
I have a brand new 870P here (picked it up from the FFL on November 6th ironically enough) that I haven't done anything with it yet. I need a shorter buttstock because this one is way too long for me.

My 870P came with the wood buttstock and forearm so what options do I have on either shortening this thing up for finding a wooden "youth" buttstock?

I guess another option would be to purchase a synthetic youth buttstock too right?

Zane1844
04-04-13, 12:17
The Houge 12" LOP stock is great for me! If you go the synthetic stock route, that is.

http://www.combatstocks.com/Rubber_12_LOP_Shotgun_Buttstock_and_Forend_Kit_by_Hogue_for_Rem_870.cfm

I did not buy it from that site, I used Midway- however it is out of stock there. I am just showing you the stock, that was one of the first I clicked on.

mdain
04-04-13, 12:21
I've never tried shortening a wood stock, but we do have them at work. I don't think it would be too difficult if you're handy with the required tools and woodwork to make it look right.

As far as synthetic stocks, I've used the Speedfeed IV and Mesa Tactical Urbino pistol grip stocks, as well as the Speedfeed youth and Hogue 12" stock.

The Speedfeeds are solid performers. The jury is still out on the Mesa. I had one on a Benelli M4 and liked it, but I haven't had enough trigger time with it on an 870 yet.

The Hogue 12" stock is my favorite. Very short, relatively light, nice texture, and inexpensive.

bruin
04-04-13, 13:33
Magpul SGA goes down to 12.5" and has some nice features:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=109977

GrandPooba
04-04-13, 13:46
I have a brand new 870P here (picked it up from the FFL on November 6th ironically enough) that I haven't done anything with it yet. I need a shorter buttstock because this one is way too long for me.

My 870P came with the wood buttstock and forearm so what options do I have on either shortening this thing up for finding a wooden "youth" buttstock?

I guess another option would be to purchase a synthetic youth buttstock too right?

Speedfeed Youth 13" LOP. This is a traditional stock, not the one with the built in shell holders.

austinN4
04-04-13, 15:11
I have had good luck finding good used stocks and stock sets at a reasonable prices on ebay.

diving dave
04-04-13, 16:53
+1 for the speed feed 12 inch LOP

Wake27
04-04-13, 17:15
There's been a lot of positive reviews on the Mesa Tactical Urbino on here and other sites.

SeriousStudent
04-04-13, 19:53
I tried two different ways. The first was as others said, I bought a used wood 870 stock on ebay, and had it cut down to a 12" LOP. I had the gunsmith fit a Remington Limbsaver R3 recoil pad. I liked the reduction in perceived recoil.

The second was with an old Speedfeed stock I had laying around. A friend took a chopsaw to it, and mounted a Speedfeed youth stock recoil pad.

Personally, I like that better. I was able to drill a hole on each side of the stock, and use a Noveske flush QD mount.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=fm-qd&cat=165&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=

I combined that with one of the GG&G front QD sling mounts:

http://www.gggaz.com/remington-870-quick-detach-front-and-rear-sling-attachments.html

We did have the grind down part of the front GG&G mount, in order to make the Surefire 618 light work.

But it works out very well. I have a 870 with an Aimpoint, Blue Force Gear VCAS sling, and a Mesa Tactical Side Saddle. And all of them work together, and don't get it the way. That's been the hard part before, making all the parts fit together and not turn into a wheelbarrow load of epic suck and fail.

I hope that helps. I can try and take some pics if you wish.

26 Inf
04-04-13, 20:49
The factory youth stocks and the short speed feeds loose some of the toe to heel distance on the recoil pad - they are essentially chopped versions of the standard stock.

That may or may not be a big deal to you, I prefer mounting the shotgun high into my shoulder so my head can be more erect so it is noticable to me.

The Magpul and the Choate don't lose any toe to heel distance.

If you bury the stock in your shoulder it may not be an issue.

Nocaster
04-11-13, 00:57
I have a Hogue 12" LOP stock on an 870, and it is very nice. The recoil pad on it is also quite an improvement over the stock one. There is a very, for lack of a better word, perceptible reduction in perceived recoil. However, I'm getting rid of mine because I bought an HK/Benelli and realized that I like a longer stock. I think i became less recoil sensitive. If anyone wants one, I'll sell it to you cheap.

tomalibrando
04-12-13, 15:07
I use the Magpul 870 stock and have been very happy with it. With a flathead screwdriver you can add or subtract spacers at the range of you elect to. I wear armor and this stock works very well for me. Feels good too. I had a speed feed and this was a better fit for me.

kmrtnsn
04-12-13, 21:42
Mesa Tactical Urbino. I have them on an 870 and a Benelli M4. Anxiously waiting for the release of the Mossy 930 version.