PDA

View Full Version : USPS

billybronco
04-04-13, 12:57
For God's sakes, PLEASE make sure that you specifically request that your online retailer use only UPS or FedEx when mailing you a package.

Especially one of value, like say, a 13.7" Noveske Rifleworks barrel.

It's going to be FAR less likely that your package will go missing due to either theft or loss when using a true parcel carrier such as UPS or FedEx.

I understand trying to save money; however, it STUNS me that anybody would ship anything over 200.00 to their customer using these nitwits. At the very LEAST, request a damn signature for the sake of your customer!!! Or, present a page before checkout offering insurance or the ability to choose a carrier!!! I'll GLADLY pay an extra 4.00 for UPS.

Some low slung pant wearing, shit breathed thug is holding my 430.00 ****ing rifle barrel right now. It'll probably get pawned for 50.00.

Email from retailer, "You have to take it up with USPS". Phone call with USPS, "You have to take it up with retailer".

****ing AWESOME.

I'm so livid right now I can't even breathe.

streck
04-04-13, 13:00
Retailer needs to get on the ball or never use them again.

MegademiC
04-04-13, 13:04
Thats a bunch of shit. I would say they lost it, but thats what insurance is for so I dont know what to tell you. Something like that should have been insured by the sender.

Safetyhit
04-04-13, 13:06
Some low slung pant wearing, shit breathed thug is holding my 430.00 ****ing rifle barrel right now. It'll probably get pawned for 50.00.

Now, now...settle down. He'll probably get at least $100 plus for it.

Email from retailer, "You have to take it up with USPS". Phone call with USPS, "You have to take it up with retailer".

****ing AWESOME.

This will almost certainly have to come down to some sort of give and take between you and the seller, although they should just replace it and ship it properly. Seems like barrels are especially problematic.

streck
04-04-13, 13:06
/.......

AKDoug
04-04-13, 13:23
**** UPS and Fedex... trying to get a claim out of them is virtually impossible because of my location. UPS uses a subcontractor to move packages to my location and won't honor anything past their hub. Fedex sends the last leg of their shipments up here by USPS unless you overnight.

IG sent me a complete BCM upper USPS Priority and it arrived in bum**** Alaska in 3 days. I've purchased dozens of expensive items using USPS Priority in the last six months and nothing has gone missing. Still waiting on a lost Fedex item and getting a claim out of UPS is worse that USPS. The only issue we have had with the USPS is something that got broken in shipment. We got payment from them for the full amount of the insurance ($200 + the shipping) in less than 3 weeks. My last UPS fiasco I just ended up eating. They said it was delivered and we've never seen it.

I do believe it's regional, though, on all three shippers. All of my stuff comes from the west coast and goes to Alaska.

Zane1844
04-04-13, 13:28
Sorry to hear that man.

I hate when they switch to USPS. There should be a warning or option to not use them.

Kyohte
04-04-13, 13:43
Sorry to here that. I have completely stopped using USPS in favor of Fedex and UPS. The USPS employees here are so incompetent I find myself wishing they really would go under so we could have some competent cheap mail service. Back home, however, it was the opposite. I guess location matters.

Alex V
04-04-13, 13:52
Ive been screwed by all of them so its a no win situation :(

billybronco
04-04-13, 13:56
yeah.....i'm sure location does matter; however, it shipped out of WA state Priority mail....

After being thrown on a plane, it's bound for the East Coast. Richmond, VA to be exact.

Had it mailed to work...Less than stellar area.

Don't know WHAT I was thinking.....I'm trying to convince myself it's gone and a a total loss. No point in being optimistic.

This is gonna be like pulling teeth out of Feinswine during a gun debate. I feel sick.

I guess there's no point in looking forward to either a URX IV or Geissele MKIV.

chadbag
04-04-13, 14:21
For God's sakes, PLEASE make sure that you specifically request that your online retailer use only UPS or FedEx when mailing you a package.

Especially one of value, like say, a 13.7" Noveske Rifleworks barrel.

It's going to be FAR less likely that your package will go missing due to either theft or loss when using a true parcel carrier such as UPS or FedEx.

I understand trying to save money; however, it STUNS me that anybody would ship anything over 200.00 to their customer using these nitwits. At the very LEAST, request a damn signature for the sake of your customer!!! Or, present a page before checkout offering insurance or the ability to choose a carrier!!! I'll GLADLY pay an extra 4.00 for UPS.

****ing AWESOME.

As a retailer who ships USPS and Fedex (and has used UPS in the past), I'll take USPS any day.

I've sent thousands and thousands of packages through USPS and not one has ever been lost. And many have been pretty pricey items.

I've had several losses through Fedex, only half of which I was able to get paid through the insurance I paid for (they have more excuses than there are days in the year). I've also had losses through UPS. Most of my Fedex and UPS packages have been ground.

First of all, how do you know it is gone? Does it show actually being delivered somewhere else? Or are you just waiting? About once or twice a year, I'll send someone a package which takses a detour and takes an extra week to get there. Yes, even with priority mail. But it eventually gets there. So, if this is the case, that it does not yet show delivered and is not like a month late already, wait a few more days for it to show up. I've never had one package not get delivered, even with the occasional delay.

If it gets to the point where it is gone for good as best you can tell read on.

Now, you said "retailer" so I assume this is a real dealer of some sort. I also assume you paid by credit card. I would inform the dealer that he is responsible for the package up to the delivery of it to you. This is also the opinion of the credit card companies. Even if the tracking shows it delivered, without a signature, the credit card companies will side with you. So tell the retailer that he is responsible for delivering the ordered barrel to you and that you will dispute the charges through your credit card company if a barrel is not delivered. It is up to him to insure it if he does not want to take the risk. Just follow through with it and don't back down. The retailer is responsible for the item until it is delivered to you.

It might be useful to also file a complaint with the Postal Inspectors office. They are a real life LE department and may investigate thefts from the mails, which are a serious offense.

good luck!

--

chadbag
04-04-13, 14:23

To summarize my previous post:

Email from you TO The retailer: "You'll have to take it up with my credit card company."

---

AKDoug
04-04-13, 14:49
As a retailer (not gun items) I am responsible for the item until it arrives in the hands of my customer. If I'm irresponsible enough not to insure it and not get a tracking number, I have no choice but to eat it if it doesn't arrive in the customer's hands. If it's the company in WA that I think it is, they should be bending over backwards to help you. I know they have awesome customer service.

Details? Is there any tracking number? Did they send by parcel post or priority? How long has it been? Has the shipper already refused to help you?

Belmont31R
04-04-13, 15:07
I had to go to USPS yesterday and I swear they trolled a homeless shelter for clerks. One guy had all this gaudy jewelry on including numerous rings, chin beard down to his chest, big ole earring and just didn't look professional at all. The lady that helped me could barely speak regular english, and I had to tell her twice that I wanted a money order for XXX.XX.

I've had a couple things go missing through them but I've sent out probably 200 or more packages in the last few years. For regular ground service they are probably better than FedEx or UPS. For overnight stuff I prefer FedEx.

skydivr
04-04-13, 15:07
I have a complete rifle in transit UPS while we speak (and I'm tracking it). Fully insured. Crossing my fingers.

austinN4
04-04-13, 15:19
Now, you said "retailer" so I assume this is a real dealer of some sort. I also assume you paid by credit card. I would inform the dealer that he is responsible for the package up to the delivery of it to you. This is also the opinion of the credit card companies. Even if the tracking shows it delivered, without a signature, the credit card companies will side with you. So tell the retailer that he is responsible for delivering the ordered barrel to you and that you will dispute the charges through your credit card company if a barrel is not delivered. It is up to him to insure it if he does not want to take the risk. Just follow through with it and don't back down. The retailer is responsible for the item until it is delivered to you.

It might be useful to also file a complaint with the Postal Inspectors office. They are a real life LE department and may investigate thefts from the mails, which are a serious offense. good luck!--
Excellent advice!

Moose-Knuckle
04-04-13, 17:22
USPS is still in business . . . :blink:

tb-av
04-04-13, 17:53
Yep, if you used Amex, they will knock the charge right off in minutes if you can verify everything.

Also, I would talk to your actual postal driver. Tell them what happened and tell them what the package looks like if you can.

I had pouch that showed delivered on the USPS system and I know the time was wrong for my route. I talked to the delivery guy and he said someone else ran his route that day. So I told him about the time it showed being delivered. He said he check some things. It was in my mailbox the next day.

Day after that ... a neighbor called.. hey, I've got a package here for you, I'll drop it by. that was two in one week!

But any retailer that is telling you that it's your problem to get it from USPS doesn't know how the system works.

USPS = Delivery Confirmation at very least... that keeps everybody honest. Insurance protects your investment.

PA PATRIOT
04-04-13, 18:34
You always get that the carrier delivered the package and either left it at the door step/porch or they left it in another location on the property.

Now Fed Ex and UPS both have GPS tracking on their vehicles and the USPS has GPS vehicle tracking on a limited basis.

Now when I'M expecting a package I always leave a LARGE NOTICE ON THE FRONT DOOR forbidding that a package be left on the property unattended. Second my out door video cameras record both the approach and all sides of the house. (Video cameras are cheap and only need a cheap VCR or DVD recorder to work)

Now if the package goes missing I can,

Review the tape to prove or disprove the actual delivery of the package.

Have a police report made were they investigate if the trucks GPS signal was actually at my address.

And even if a unk person walks up and steals the package you can still collect the insurance as you left instructions for it not to be left unattended on the property. You can also call UPS and Fed Ex and have your address listed as a "Do not Leave" location were you have to sign the pad for delivery.

Armed with the above its hard for a delivery company or USPS to screw you out of a package but remember claiming that you did not receive a package when you did is a crime and a lot of toads will occasionally do this on expensive items. The delivery companies and USPS will prosecute with the lather bringing Felony charges. Always insist on tracking and insurance and if the vendor will not offer same then its time to shop else where.

gun71530
04-04-13, 19:56
Just as much shit gets stolen when shipped via UPS/FedEx.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

chadbag
04-04-13, 20:11
Remember, the USPS has their own LE Agency of federal officers.

UPS and Fedex don't.

Tampering with or stealing from the mail is a really bad offense. Probably more so than doing the same at UPS or Fedex. I suspect it helps to keep employees in line.

---

Belmont31R
04-04-13, 20:42
Remember, the USPS has their own LE Agency of federal officers.

UPS and Fedex don't.

Tampering with or stealing from the mail is a really bad offense. Probably more so than doing the same at UPS or Fedex. I suspect it helps to keep employees in line.

---

Out of all the people over the years who have started threads about EE type deals, and where money was sent through the USPS I've yet to hear of a single case where someone said PO LE got involved or resolved an issue.

munch520
04-04-13, 21:09
I've had problems with all 3. I've had the most issues with UPS. By a long shot.

I will say that of the 3, USPS arrives on time (even early) way more often than the other two. And free Saturday delivery is (was) a nice perk.

ETA: I've also found transit times to be much faster with USPS. From CA to OH I typically get USPS packages in 3-4 days. It's 5-6/7 with UPS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

chadbag
04-04-13, 21:30
Out of all the people over the years who have started threads about EE type deals, and where money was sent through the USPS I've yet to hear of a single case where someone said PO LE got involved or resolved an issue.

I had one once. Not a gun item, but from eBay.

A kid was pirating PS2 games and selling them on eBay. I sent him a USPS money order (expecting an original game for my $25 or $30) and got the CD-R version.

I complained with eBay and him but nothing happened. I filed a complaint with the postal inspectors.

A year later I get a tearful letter and refund from the kid (and his mom) begging me not to press charges. The postal inspectors had investigated him. I assume they had many complaints from him which is why they investigated one that was worth so little.

They postal inspectors investigate a lot but their job is not to fix your problem, so you will likely never hear from them in more than a pro forma way, even if they do bust the guy. But they do investigate and prosecute people who abuse the mails in commerce. The fact that they do probably puts a damper on fast fingers at the USPS more so than any company policy and internal investigations do at UPS or Fedex.

And the higher the dollar value of your missing item, the more likelihood that it will be investigate. Especially if they can see other occurrences in the area. You may not get your item, but it is worth it to report it to the postal inspector anyway. The dude who ripped you off/stole your package may get his due though you may not find out.

--

Biggy
04-04-13, 23:01
I have probably sent around 300 gun related items by USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation from my small town (900 people) post office in the last 3 years, and knock on wood, have not had any issues at all.

MountainRaven
04-05-13, 01:10
USPS is still in business . . . :blink:

Despite Congress's best efforts to put them out of business by taking a decently profitable organization and hamstringing it by making it pay for the pensions of every single employee immediately upon hire, instead of over time or upon retirement like a private business, yes.

In any case, I can't say I love the Postal Service. I hate their hours. I hate how few of them they have on staff at the Post Office. But I have only ever had one problem with them which was minor and rapidly squared away. FedEx and UPS are far worse services, IME.

Moose-Knuckle
04-05-13, 03:17
I hate how few of them they have on staff at the Post Office.

Ahh, but you see that is all part of their diabolical plot! :D

I have no use for them and refuse to step foot into one of these time vampires they call a "Post Office" for this very reason, well that and I'll have to wait in line for an hour just so I can buy a single book of "Forever" (:rolleyes:) stamps due to the fact they raise the price every time I get off the shitter. They also do not allow CCW so that is a huge incentive for me to throw my money at independent postal stores and places like stamps.com.

billybronco
04-06-13, 20:38
Update. We close at 1700 at my place of business.

Tracking info shows delivering at 1850.

Security not allowed to sign.

Who has my barrel. I reckon we'll never know.

Shame. Had plans for that pipe.

chadbag
04-07-13, 01:34
Update. We close at 1700 at my place of business.

Tracking info shows delivering at 1850.

Was that today? (Saturday?)

Also, I see quite often an incorrect time on the delivery record at USPS for some reason.

Security not allowed to sign.

No signature is required for most USPS packages. Only ones with insurance, or with special signature tracking (not normal tracking), or certified or registered mail.

Who has my barrel. I reckon we'll never know.

Shame. Had plans for that pipe.

domestique
04-07-13, 03:01
I've had problems with them all.

UPS sent 1,500 7.62 rounds (2 cases of Radway green) to a lady across town. She freaked out and called the cops on me thinking I was a domestic terrorist!
FedEX got an order of primers lost, and when they finally resurfaced I had to travel 50 minutes to their hub, practically got frisked at their checkpoint and finally allowed to pick them up.
USPS ALMOST lost 2 KAC lowers (out for engraving) that were sent insured priority mail because the idiot driver forgot to scan the package.... A dishonest person could have easily collected the insurance money.

But like others said, insure ALL packages of value and always use a credit card for purchases so you can dispute them. Citi cards has been awesome for me and have always sided with me.

T2C
04-07-13, 06:37
I have had good luck with USPS and UPS. I will not order from any company that only offers Fed-Ex for shipping.