PDA

View Full Version : Chemical Engineer, B.S. vs B.E.

MegademiC
04-04-13, 13:02
What is the difference between a Bachelors of Science, Chemical Engineering and Bachelors of Engineering, Chemical Engineering?

I have a BE, but a lot of jobs ask for BS, are they interchangable or is one better?

Just curious. Also, anyone need an entry-level chemical engineer?:cool:

Alex V
04-04-13, 13:42
Not sure about engineers, but there is something similar with Architects.

There is a Bachelor of Science in Architecture (4 year program) and Bachelor of Architecture (5 year program)

With the BS in A I can not get my license in every state, for instance NJ, CT, PA will not accept a BS but NY will. I have the Bachelor of Architecture so I can get licensed through reciprocity in any of the 50 states, plus all the Canadian provinces, just have to pay the fees.

Is there something similar when you sit for you FE and PE exams?

Sam
04-04-13, 16:29
First answer is toward the FE, PE registration. The state of GA doesn't care of one has a Bachelor of XYZ Engineering or Bachelor of Science in XYZ Engineering. One can take the FE then the PE once the candidate complete the required time working under a registered PE.

As for the difference between BS and B of ... , I notice that school or institution that is a primary engineering school, such as Georgia Institute of Technology (GA Tech) and similar, their graduates receive the Bachelor of XYZ Engineering, mine was Bachelor of Electrical Engineering. Schools that are more liberal arts or general curriculum but have an engineering program, tend to issue their engineering graduates the Bachelor of Science in XYZ Engineering.