PDA

View Full Version : Your AR: to shoot, to hunt or just to have and hold?

checkmyswag
04-04-13, 13:42
I don't know how guys afford to shoot a lot of rounds with the AR.

Do you have yours to shoot, hunt with or just to have? (Some combo could be true as well)

mkmckinley
04-04-13, 13:47
Dillon 550B (http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23594/catid/1/)

foxtrotx1
04-04-13, 13:48

Do you have yours to shoot, hunt with or just to have? (Some combo could be true as well)

Shoot.

_Stormin_
04-04-13, 13:54
I have them to shoot them. It's gotten more expensive, but it's one of those things that need not be done daily. As long as I am out at the range enough to maintain proficient operation/accuracy I am good to go.

Dave James
04-04-13, 13:57
Built mine for one purpose, killing coyotes!

Zane1844
04-04-13, 14:01
To shoot and defense. If I wanted to hold something I'd buy an airsoft.

Ammo has more than doubled, now I'm shooting A LOT less.

jmnielsen
04-04-13, 14:06

Same here! Wanted an alternative to my .204 bolt action because its set up with a 6.5-20x scope. So I put a 1-4 on my ar for closer stuff and the occasional 3 gun match

skijunkie55
04-04-13, 14:10
shooting and defense.

I have a bow, 12ga, and a .300 WSM for hunting

fotomaker57
04-04-13, 14:10
Well shooting of course

Failure2Stop
04-04-13, 14:29
For all legal purposes

TunaFisherman
04-04-13, 14:31
For all legal purposes

What he said

themighty9mm
04-04-13, 14:43
To shoot, and keep loaded at the bed side. Beats a handgun or shotgun any day IMO. For plinking ammo, you may want to consider reloading. I would suggest something progressive such as a Dillon 550 or 650

Retiredbroke
04-04-13, 15:23
D. All of the above.

BadDogPSD
04-04-13, 16:33
Back when you could get 5.56 or .223 for +/- $0.30 a round, cost was not a concern... now that it's hovering around $0.70 a round, I don't shoot as much. But I use my AR's for all legal purposes.

checkmyswag
04-04-13, 16:53
People that shoot a lot...is it for fun or are you "training" for some defensive scenario?

I've got nothing against ARs or gun games, but isn't a pistol the most likely tool to be used in self defense? I don't know the statistics. Are we more likely to need a defensive firearm in/near the house (shotgun/rifle) or when we are out and about on foot or in the car (handgun)?

CrazyFingers
04-04-13, 17:07
People that shoot a lot...is it for fun or are you "training" for some defensive scenario?

Why can't it be both?

fido4x
04-04-13, 17:10
Colt M4 is for shooting. I buy just enough to keep the barrel warm and get out when weather permits. I shoot 22LR and 45 ACP so I don't need a ton of 5.56 for any one day. Tough to find 22LR these days but I should have enough for a couple more months.

Packman73
04-04-13, 17:11
All of the above.

Zane1844
04-04-13, 17:11

I've got nothing against ARs or gun games, but isn't a pistol the most likely tool to be used in self defense? I don't know the statistics. Are we more likely to need a defensive firearm in/near the house (shotgun/rifle) or when we are out and about on foot or in the car (handgun)?

It is fun, just how sparring and doing drills and practices for MMA is fun to me. It is, however, also serious to me, and I am just waiting to take classes, though, you need a pistol for that- and I am not the legal age of buying one. (soon!)

AR's are also a joy to shoot and practice marksmanship to me. I had money saved it for a while for one when I turned 18.

nrvnqsrxk
04-04-13, 17:12
I shoot my AR because its the tool I'm least proficient with, and I'm only as good as my weakest link.

Sent from my HTC Sensation

gun71530
04-04-13, 17:13
All of the above.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

punkkin
04-04-13, 17:14
Bought cheap and... you know the rest.

Sentaruu
04-04-13, 17:59
For all legal purposes

this.

ddseeker
04-04-13, 18:11
Purchased them to shoot them and I have ammo, it is just that with the current ammo shortage I hate to use what I have knowing I can not replace it as fast as I can shoot it.

Glock30
04-04-13, 18:29
I get the question all the time, "Why do you have an AR15/AK47"

answer:
for the sport of shooting, protect and collect

TacCommE21
04-04-13, 18:31
Shooting and HD/SD. The shortage of ammo is tough and I think most have become more frugal across all platforms.

Aaron_B
04-04-13, 18:33
Purchased mine for multiple different purposes. I was fortunate to put plenty of ammo away so I can still shoot, just not as often. Now I am trying ot get into reloading but, it's just as hard as finding regular ammo. I figure better late than never though.

Melon
04-04-13, 18:48
Why not all of the above?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liawkkoSQf1qi1bj8o1_500.jpg

Swag
04-04-13, 18:49

Defense. So yeah, damn right I want the meanest, baddest rifle available. Everything else is a bonus. (See 2A!)

Won't argue that. A defensive situation that would necessitate a person with an accessible rifle to intervene would be extreme. So arguably, if one is forced into such an extreme situation, one better have extreme measures available to them.

Even though it is the year 2013, we as a species are no more civilized than we were in year 1 AD.

cody6510
04-04-13, 19:01
Shooting and self defense. Just moved to a state where I can hunt with them, so I'm still waiting to try that.

Sentaruu
04-04-13, 19:02

answer:
for the sport of shooting, protect and collect

i get that sometimes too, but it is usually "why do you NEED a gun like that?"

flyfishnevada
04-04-13, 19:26
I got mine to shoot and just to have one. Honestly, I got one because I love the way they look. AKs are nice, but AR/M4s are American icons. Mom, apply pie and AR-15s

Hot Holster
04-04-13, 20:08
To have and to hold, from this day forward.

Well, a couple in 300 Blk's to hunt with, a couple SBR's to have fun with and to secure the premises, and a couple more for range toys. (not necessarily in that order)

Big A
04-04-13, 20:31

:blink:

Answer: Because it's one of our ten inalienable rights that I like to exercise...

Mariley85
04-04-13, 20:37
for shooting.......when 5.56 isn't $0.70/rd and readily available.

i was shooting 100rds/wk last year.

bbakerM4
04-04-13, 21:07
I set mine up with an 11.5" barrel, T-1, and suppressor to shoot and for self defense. I don't hunt as I have enough friends that do, but if need be I could take something down out to about 200yds. With ammo getting scarce and expensive I built an M&P15-22 replica for plunking and training purpose.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/05/tu9a2yme.jpg

SteveS
04-04-13, 21:10
IMO Great reason !!!!!

slamd095
04-04-13, 22:25
:blink:

Answer: Because it's one of our ten inalienable rights that I like to exercise...

I love those questions..Why do you need a gun like that..

I usually respond, in one of two ways.

1) If you are asking me that question, then my answer would not make sense to you.

2) Same reason you can go down and purchase a giant excursion and get 10 gallons to the mile on your way to the local starbucks wearing your sandals with socks, and a T-Shirt that is comfortable to wear around that flexible nozzle massengil made for your neck. :D

Ark1443
04-04-13, 22:27
All of the above.

Mine took its first deer this past season, one shot and it dropped on the spot, didn't even make it a foot.... okay it wiggled some once on the ground but still, those who say you cant hunt with .223/5.56 are so wrong!

Used 75 GR Hornaday TAP FPD .223

checkmyswag
04-04-13, 22:34
Some of those heavier bullets are indeed legit hunting rounds.

filthy phil
04-04-13, 23:19
Got mine llast summer and its still a virgin, and untill ammo comes back down will likely remain virgin. Ill.shoot the ak and glocks

.46caliber
04-04-13, 23:20

My response to that question is:

"Need? In what sense? Like we need food, water and air? Or like we need Keurig coffee makers, 2000+ sq. Ft. homes, smartphones and mid size SUVs? OMG ARE THEY BANNING KEURIGS?!?!?!?"

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Rockhopper
04-04-13, 23:25
built mine to shoot varmints and punch paper

Lacos
04-05-13, 00:33
Target shooting, hobby, and just because I can.

Gahunter12
04-05-13, 06:02
Home defense, SHTF, Training, target shooting, and coyote hunting. My Dillon 550b's help me feed my AR's, and handguns. I was very lucky to pick up 4k bullets, and primers before the panic. I'm still shooting at per panic prices. That said I'm not shooting as much. I'm down to 300-400 rnds of .223, 500 rnds of .40s&w, and 500 rnds of , 200rnds of 9mm (wife) per month.

I haven't trained with my AR's yet this year. I have also limited my IDPA matches to 2 outdoor matches, and 2 100 rnd practice sessions per month. No more indoor stuff for the wife and I.

checkmyswag
04-05-13, 07:43
Target shooting, hobby, and just because I can.

I think this may account for a lot of the recent AR purchases. Why buy one? Because I can. Also because there are people out there who don't want me to have it.

Airhasz
04-05-13, 08:19
[QUOTE=checkmyswag;1601363]I don't know how guys afford to shoot a lot of rounds with the AR. Do you have "Your AR: to shoot, to hunt or just to have and hold."

To shoot and hunt, I get enough "holding it" during weekly cleaning sessions...:p

$300 a month allows me to hand load and shoot every week.

_Stormin_
04-05-13, 08:29
I think this may account for a lot of the recent AR purchases. Why buy one? Because I can. Also because there are people out there who don't want me to have it.

Same reason I buy sports cars. Because I can.

510HP and personally refined by Michael Schumacher? I don't care if people don't want me to have it. They don't get a say.

The Prius, while a wonderful marvel of engineering and marketing, happens to be the most uninspiring turd I have ever had the displeasure of being behind the wheel of... I simply can't drive something so insipid. Even my DD Audi S4 puts a grin on my face every morning.

Sometimes you don't have to buy the most practical, economical, utilitarian item. You can buy something fun. Agreements and disagreements here aside, I am sure every rifle owner here ENJOYS their rifle and in the end that's why they bought it. There are many (or few) like it, but that one is theirs. Hell, some of them might drive a Prius... :cool:

water4545
04-05-13, 08:49
Coyotes and more coyotes.

Trajan
04-05-13, 08:57
Shooting, classes, HD. Plus it's good to have if everything goes bad in a hurry.

To be honest though, had I never seen Red Dawn, I'd be perfectly fine with just a Glock 19 (if I wasn't a gun person).

munch520
04-05-13, 09:18

Because I can :) seriously though it's a combo of HD, training, hunting.

Reloading is how I afford it. Really though, if the wife scoffs at ammo price/purchase, I just point out to her that a weekend on the golf course would cost about the same (if not more).

OkieOutlaw
04-05-13, 13:29
I got my first civilian ar 15 right after being discharged from the military way back in 75. I purchased it primarily for sentimental reasons and for self defense and just fun shooting. I got into reloading way back around 1980 because I had a couple of 44's both Magnum and Specials and ammo was really expensive for both of those loadings and still is. I started reloading for the 45acp soon after. I didn't think too much about loading for the ar's in my collection as ammo was so cheap and plentiful up till Obamas election the first time. I could see the writing on the wall way back then and really started stocking up on (Thank God that I had gotten into the habit of saving every last bit of brass not realizing how things would turn out.) components for all the calibers that I now reload for. I can produce supremely accurate dependable ammo for my ars and m4s now for 16 to 18 cents a round therefore I can shoot as much as I like with no worries and quickly replenish whatever I shoot up in just a couple of hours at the bench. Considering the way things are now with ammo supplies and most components I am extremely happy that I made the decision to acquire a very sizable cache of components and a rather large stockpile of loaded ammo that is easily replaced no matter what may happen. I am sure that components will again become available and when that happens I will probably stock even heavier than ever before.

Stubby
04-05-13, 13:42
Coyotes and more coyotes.

This times 1000 love me some varmint hunting

Koshinn
04-05-13, 14:26
I sleep with mine.

trauma
04-05-13, 15:39
Self defense............... I'm gonna have to rifle butt the sombitch to death because there ain't no bullets to buy.

Straight Shooter
04-05-13, 18:34
My answer to 'WHY" I own an AR is BECAUSE I WANT THE SONOFABITCH.
Nuff said.
But..I use it for recreation, hunting, and I like well made mechanical things, and my LMT is just that.
Its amazing to me, how much everyone who shoots these rifles for the first time LOVES them. Last Thanksgiving....I had an 80+ year old lady, and a 7 year old boy shoot my rifle at a friends house, and both were just giddy afterwards. Made my day.

T2C
04-05-13, 19:35
I can't help you. I sold all of my AR-15s and all of the rest of my military rifles. :D

Suwannee Tim
04-05-13, 19:53
All of the above but I'm not shooting them as much as before with ammo and component availability as they are. I'm shooting my big bores more now, I have good stashes of components I have accumulated. I was going to buy a 416 Rigby but someone put one on loan to me :D. 20 shots of 416 or 458 Lott and 20 shots of 375 H&H, couple of mags of 5.45 are enough for one day. I get enough of the big stuff a lot, lot quicker than with ARs. I can wear myself out in 30 minutes with the big guns. :D

_Stormin_
04-05-13, 20:49
458 Lott is one hell of a round. I can't imagine wanting to shoot more than a few of those!

usmcgrunt
04-05-13, 20:54
I build my weapons for one purpose only, for the protection of my family and property! They may not be the very top of the line but they aint shabby either!

Grunt Out!

GunnutAF
04-05-13, 21:06
They are fun to shoot,accurate, great varmit guns,easy to maintain. Were real cheap to shoot-were! Stiil are if you reload. Great SD/HD weapon. Easy weapon to train women/ children on! :D The big plus everything the Anti's hate ! Makes them batshit crazy! Which is always a very good thing!:D

KUSA
04-05-13, 23:00
I need a gun like that for the same reason the military and law enforcement needs a gun like that. It's because it works so well. There is a reason the military does not use double barrel shot guns but rather chooses to use a real weapon.

DCN1
04-06-13, 05:42
I bought mine to shoot, which I don't do enough of lately but hopefully that will change soon. I also Bought it to learn the platform, see what makes it tick.
And lastly I bought it just because I can.

rocsteady
04-06-13, 12:36
Saw a video today where the final parting thought in answer to Shotgun Joe, the Skeetshooter and the Gun Runner's claims that you don't need an AR:

Let's put the anti-gun folks at the Mexican border and when the drug cartels come to get you because they think you are a threat, you can choose one of the following to protect yourself:

1) cell phone
2) revolver
3) AR-15

Which one would Joe B., the POTUS and the AG choose if their guards weren't around?

I bought mine initially as a "Katrina gun" as it doesn't take much to bring out the worst in society. Now it's for SD, SHTF and all other legal purposes. I enjoy range time and training for work.

2_wacko
04-06-13, 12:50
I use my Colt 6920 for multi purposes, I hate having to switch rifles for different scenarios. Mines rigged up for, varmints, self defense, SHTF and target practice.

MistWolf
04-06-13, 17:47
A basic rifle is far more versatile than many shooters give them credit for. A 16" carbine with MOE furniture, Aimpoint, Weapon light and sling can do many tasks from self defense to plinking to hunting. Iron sights have been in use since the black powder days, even for the hunting of small game. A non-magnified RDS is at least as good as a set of iron sights.

An AR doesn't need specialized barrel profiles, certain barrel lengths or trick triggers to do any job (not that "tricking out" a rifle isn't fun :dance3:).

A carbine with a scope isn't as effective on long range prairiedog sniping as a 24" rifle for example, but with specialty also comes limitations

Suwannee Tim
04-06-13, 21:02
458 Lott is one hell of a round. I can't imagine wanting to shoot more than a few of those!

It's not as bad as it is made out to be.

A basic rifle is far more versatile than many shooters give them credit for.......

Everything I have is basic. S&W, LMT, Stag, basic quality guns. I don't feel a bit embarrassed when folks show up with their Noveske's, etc, etc. The only nice guns I have are two Dakota rifles, even those guns are basic calibers, a 25-06 and a 30-06. Other than those two, everything else is plain and basic.

DDM4LV1
04-06-13, 21:14

"to have and hold?"...'till death do ye part...
..."I DO":D

jjw
04-06-13, 21:19
For all legal purposes

what he said

BECAUSE I CAN. ITS AMERICA

DDM4LV1
04-06-13, 21:27
what he said

BECAUSE I CAN. ITS AMERICA

Not if Obidenfeincuomoberg has anything to say about it:suicide2::suicide:

Shooterman017
04-07-13, 02:16
I'm with the "because I can" and "all legal purposes" crowd.

However...

Personally, I traded my 700 for a pile of AR and have built it up to do everything I could possibly need to do with it (SD, HD, simple Range Time, maybe hunting). I would not give it up for anything at this point.

It lives next to my bed. Personally, I feel way more comfortable with it than a bolt gun, as I used to have, if I needed to protect life and property. Not just in any self defense scenario (eg: home invasion), but also in "beyond all contingencies" scenarios and life as normal takes a break for an indeterminate amount of time (eg: post-Katrina type disaster, I live on the coast). God knows there are some questionable individuals out there who would take the opportunity.

All that, and I rather enjoy shooting and becoming as proficient as I can with it. It is terribly fun.

bigbang
04-07-13, 03:08
D: all of the above.

MistWolf
04-07-13, 08:37
Everything I have is basic. S&W, LMT, Stag, basic quality guns. I don't feel a bit embarrassed when folks show up with their Noveske's, etc, etc. The only nice guns I have are two Dakota rifles, even those guns are basic calibers, a 25-06 and a 30-06. Other than those two, everything else is plain and basic.

I don't mean basic as in custom built vs factory or Stag vs Noveske, I mean basic configuration. Because we have so many options available to us and it's the job of the ad-men to sell as many rifles as possible to Joe Public, it's ingrained in our being that we need a rifle, shogun and pistol specially configured for each application. We'd need to hire a caddy to carry them in a bag like golf clubs.

"Here sir. Let me suggest the SPR for this shot. The coyote is a mere 225 yards and the 2.5x10 Nightforce and short barrel make this the rifle of choice."

"You don't think I should use the DMR?"

"Oh no, sir. With it's longer barrel and higher magnification, the DMR would be suitable when the coyote passes beyond 300. Oh, there he goes! DMR it is, sir."

A shooter with a 16" (or even 20" AR) with a standard profile barrel and basic furniture need only iron sights, RDS, weapon light, sling and a 3x9 optic to perform 90% of the tasks one could ask of it. No need for special profile barrels, PRS type stocks or miles of rail estate.

I do have two configurations of AR, one a standard carbine, the other a dedicated precision rifle, but if I installed a free float tube and a good scope on the carbine, it would do almost as well the precision AR for varmint duty

ennbeegunny15
04-08-13, 00:36
Yes...

jbo723
04-08-13, 11:49
When I bought my first AR about ten years ago, it was because it I wnated to add something else to the collection I didn't have yet. I got turned on to a local 2gun match back in 2006 and from then on, I've developed a different mind set when it came to firearm training.

Prior to that, I was just happy being a gun owner with a CWL. Never knew how dynamic and stressful a SD situation could be. I've still never been in that type situation but, I now prepare myself the best I can if the need should ever arise.

I compete twice a month in a 2gun competition that is set up to mimic defensive scenarios with a carbine being your primary weapon and handgun secondary. It's good training for those that have taken carbine classes and helps me train in a way outside of your typical static range drills.

I had to pass on a Redback One class and another EAG class this year cause of the ammo situation and while I feel comfortable with what I currently have on hand ammo wise, not knowing if I can replace what I have for the price I paid, has me a little reluctant to shoot as much as I used to the past few years. I would guess I used to average between 1000-1500 rounds minimum a month but, I'm just limiting myself to the local matches and dry firing 100 times a day with both my AR and handguns..

Stubby
04-09-13, 08:57
I sleep with mine.

Me too 16276

Packman73
04-09-13, 09:53
Me too
I can tell; it rubbed ur beard off. :p

MoCop
04-09-13, 10:35
To shoot. I'm not a rifle guy per se and thought now would be a good time for me to get used to a long gun.

Bos Bevok
04-09-13, 11:36
Shoot, hunt, and use for target practice.

rockonman
04-09-13, 12:41
For all legal purposes

Ditto

Artiz
04-09-13, 20:11
For all legal purposes

This.

+ being in Canada my legalities are not like yours.

twistedcomrade
04-09-13, 20:21
I have mine for shooting, defense, and cleaning. Yes, I don't mind cleaning them that much.

hotrodder636
04-09-13, 20:30

Is this not one and the same?

Shoot, shoot and more shooting.

Tzook
04-09-13, 23:15
If it wasn't any fun nobody would do it....

Salamander
04-10-13, 00:02
I've cut way back on practice during the craze, shot other things instead (still pretty easy to find 30.06 around here). But mine is a shooter, just put a few rounds through it tonight. Made me forget all about the day at the office :)