PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Tundra and Tacoma questions

tb-av
04-04-13, 18:10
I need to retire my '99 Taco.

What I'm looking at it dual cab ( 4 door ). 4x4.

Got a couple of questions and want verifications.

Tundra
-gas mileage ( list if it's 6 or 8 )
- any special features you feel are necessary or would not want. Any problem areas?

For instance, I always found my extended cab a PITA, that's why I want the 4 door. Just things like groceries were a pain to load.

Tacoma
- gas mileage
- ride quality

My '99 has always been rough ride. Are the newer ones any smoother? Have a friend with single cab full size bed and he says it's pretty smooth but I think his wheel base is longer than mine.

Both
-any year that is a go to style. ie, get this year or newer..
- extras package.... any factory package to get or after market add ons that significantly improve the whole setup. tires, wheels, intkes, exhaust, tow package, radios, anything.

Oh...Leather seats... like, dislike?

I would consider other brand as well but I have always had good service from my Toyotas so feel free to add those if you like.

I'm probably buying used but it all depends...

Kfgk14
04-04-13, 19:01
First off,
Which generation Tundra are you talking about? The old ones (00-06) you'll definitely want the true 4-door model. But the new ones, you may very well be able to get away with the double-cab and not the Crewmax (see toyota.com for the distinction).

I've driven both generations, the ride was notably better on the new generation trucks. Not that the old ones are bad, just the new ones are better.

There's a lot of power on tap in the new ones, especially the 5.7 liter V8. The old trucks, they've got decent oomph with the 4.7, but they're pretty adequate I'd say, if you don't have exceptionally heavy loads to pull/haul.

The early (2007 and 2008) second generation Tundras had issues, but I'd assume most of those have been fixed or aren't gonna come up at this point in the vehicle's life.

In terms of extras/features, the TRD off-road package adds a limited slip rear differential and A-TRAC, which will help you a lot off-road if you need that. The Limited edition trucks have a really nice sound system.

Never been exposed to a Tundra's leather, but I like the leather in all the other Toyota's I've seen, so I'm sure it's fine.

The Tundra is an overall excellent vehicle, especially for working out of. Lots of worker-friendly features like a big center console, big controls, beef-as-hell drive train (especially in the 5.7's, they have a 10.5" ring gear in the rear axle!!), lots of internal storage and organization, modern connectivity in terms of bluetooth/aux input/etc., and they have great safety features all around.

Toyota Tacoma, pretty self-explanatory based on its reputation, bit dated at this point in terms of the drivetrain but a solid vehicle. Definitely go for the double cab if you need space. The off-road package is more comprehensive in terms of a rear locker and ATRAC, there's also the TX edition trucks which offer more off-road features like special wheels, longer suspension travel and BFG All-terrains.

To be honest, your best bet for this decision is exploring the Toyota website. Look at everything canvassed there, and then come back with further inquiry. But you're definitely on the right track with Toyota trucks :)

tb-av
04-04-13, 19:26
Thanks, I've looked through Toyota's web site but I've found it hard to simply do side by side data comparisons. I ended up building a truck the other day and couldn't figure what some of the add ons were. Have to give it another shot.

I don't -need- a lot power or off road ability but I also don't want to end up with a bottom line should the need arise.

I do like the idea of having room to work out of it as that is what I do. I def. don;t need the crew cab, I just need easier access to that back section than flipping a seat forward.

Plus I want to consider resale. Seems like more people buying a truck want more features whereas plenty of people will buy a basic car.

mikelowrey
04-04-13, 19:29
Why don't you visit a dealer? Setup a test drive with both trucks and from there you can have a different view :)

I think imma have to get a big SUV soon and been looking at options but my best bet is to go and test drive each of the options I have and then try to make a decision. Good luck

C4IGrant
04-04-13, 19:36
I have a 07 Tundra Crew Cab Limited. This is my first truck and have been impressed with it. Gas mileage is pretty good at hwy cruising speed (around 72mph). It is fast and the back seat is simply massive (as in three 6'4 men can sit in the back with leg room and not be on top of one another)!

I love the rear window option with the moon roof (almost like a convertible.

It is a SUPER wide truck so if you have an older home, make sure to check the width of your garage!

C4

tb-av
04-04-13, 20:43
Why don't you visit a dealer? /QUOTE]

I will, I just want to get some background info first....

@kfgk14
[QUOTE]The early (2007 and 2008) second generation Tundras had issues, but I'd assume most of those have been fixed or aren't gonna come up at this point in the vehicle's life.

I see there are a lot of 2007 - 2008 for sale. Any specific problems they had. In fact it seems most are those two years. Hardly any 2009.

Belmont31R
04-04-13, 20:47
The crew max is like the dodge megacab. Basically an extended 4 door. 4 door trucks are cool but you don't need the extra space unless you haul adults around in the back often. Otherwise most people will be just fine for short to medium trips.

The Tundra is more but that I what I would get due to the extra power of the V8. Their V6 Tacomas have always been anemic.

tb-av
04-04-13, 21:04
The crew max is like the dodge megacab.

I've just got the Tacoma extracab now or whatever it's called. Just two doors. All I need is a way to get to back seats without banging into front seats. Not real concerned about people back there.

obucina
04-04-13, 21:15
The crew max is like the dodge megacab. Basically an extended 4 door. 4 door trucks are cool but you don't need the extra space unless you haul adults around in the back often. Otherwise most people will be just fine for short to medium trips.

The Tundra is more but that I what I would get due to the extra power of the V8. Their V6 Tacomas have always been anemic.

and the crewmax/megacab/supercrew trucks typically get the shortbed as standard. My F150 is the supercab with a 6.5ft bed, whereas the short bed being 5.5ft wont even hold a queen size mattress with the gate up!

Belmont31R
04-04-13, 21:16
I've just got the Tacoma extracab now or whatever it's called. Just two doors. All I need is a way to get to back seats without banging into front seats. Not real concerned about people back there.

We had a Ranger with that type of door and the people in the back faced inwards. My BIL totaled it, and I glad he did but even for a single gy the extra space in the back in great. If you need a long bed go rent a Home Depot truck a day.

C-grunt
04-04-13, 22:03
I've been doing a lot of the same research as I'm in the same position, just not going to buy probably a soon as you. I have friends with both trucks and they both have a lot of strengths and few weaknesses in my opinion.

Tacoma Pros:
Rugged
Everyone I know gets at least 19 MPG on average
Good on trails, good 4x4 system
Resale value is insane.

Cons:
Smaller if you have bigger kids or multiple adults traveling with you a lot.
Towing. It has a decent tow rating but from what I've been told if you plan on towing often get the Tundra.
Small bed.

Tundra Pros:
Power. The 5.7 is a very strong motor. The 4.6 still makes 310hp and 327tq while getting slightly better MPG.
Room. The extended cab is bigger than the Tacoma 4 door and the Crewmax is just plain huge.
Bed space. It's a full sized truck.
Not much more expensive than the Tacoma if you don't go crazy on the add ons.

Cons:
MPG. While I know people that get low 20s on long trips with 4 door Tacomas the best I've seen/heard in the Tundra is a little over 19 with 17ish being more normal. However I dont know anyone with the newer 4.6 V8 so that engine should get a little better.
Its big which can be a problem off roading.

tb-av
04-05-13, 07:52
Thanks.... one thing you can add to your list. Someone sent a PM...

The skid plates on the Tundra are now plastic and not steel. Not sure if it's easy to know a specific year for Tacoma and Tundra to know when it changed. I would have never thought of that. My '99 Taco has steel.

That's the other problem buying used. It's hard to figure what changes, options, were available any given year so it's easy to get confused if a truck is priced reasonably.

Went to credit union yesterday and the lady there told me CarMax is usually right around 110% of NADA retail.

Jack-O
04-05-13, 09:53
Had an 04 tundra with 4.7 and a 10 tundra with 5.7.

04 tundra had better build quality, stronger body panels and a MUCH better ride. it rode like a CAR. Where the 10 felt a lot like a Ford's ride... kinda stiff and louder. The 04 got about 12-13 MPG with the ladder rack I had on it.

the 10 tundra had a lower build quality and felt chintsy compared to the 04. Toyota has OBVIOUSLY changed the metal thickness of the body panels or something (and from what I can tell this is true around the world as I hear the same thing about the Hi-lux). the difference was obvious to me when I first looked at the new truck.

The quality of materials used inside was slightly lower and you could tell that they changed something from the 04 model. the 04 just felt tighter and better put together.

In the 10 you will note the truck tells you what it will be doing and when it will be doing it. everything from how much power it will deliver and when it will stop are controlled by the computer... you are no longer in control. the balance has shifted from "computer assist driver controlled" to "computer controlled driver suggestions". Even the radio is like messing with a Windows computer.

In spite of having a stiffer ride the rear suspension is still disappointing in the cargo capacity arena. when loaded near it's rated capacity, simply adding a loaded trailer to the mix puts it on the bumpstops. Unlike most heavy suspensions the ride DOES NOT smooth out under load. I actually have had to add Air Springs to BOTH the 04 and 10 just to keep it off the bump stops and to level the ride. so no advantage to the 10 over the 04 here.

WHERE THE 10 SHINES:
Towing. it's awesome. even with max loads of 11000# it always pulled fine. I had not trailer brakes and even with that load and a little caution it worked and stopped acceptably and safely, but you needed to pay attention for sure.

Power: LOTS of power to be had. as long as the stability control traction control doesnt reduce power due to a little minor wheel slip you have enough to keep you grinning. that Limited Slip button helps minimize the TC and VSC which can both be turned off at a full stop pressing a button for 10 seconds.

Economy: While I felt the 4.7 was a buttery smooth engine, the 5.7 gets 14-16 MPG with my ladder rack on under the same conditions the 4.7 got 12-13. this is inspite of having another 100 HP. so win here for sure

Size: the 10 is a bigger truck all around and that works for most folks. thedouble cab is all you wil need unless you are hauling folks around in the back like ALL the time. there is plenty of room back there and the doors are plenty big enough where I felt the mega cab was stupid.

summary:
if you get a newer model tundra and you wanna haul heavy loads regularly or tow a heavy trailer, you WILL NEED air bags. I would also suggest a trailer brake if you are hauling over 5000# regularly on a trailer. Lots of power with teh 5.7 and a fast truck. there is a forum that deals with the tundra that has lots of good tweaking tips.

good luck

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-05-13, 10:18
Dude what are you going to do with the old truck pm me?

Jer
04-05-13, 10:43
Get a Tacoma Access cab. After my research that's what I decided on & you're echoing a lot of the things I was looking for. Resale? There isn't a vehicle made (car or truck) with better resale than a 4x4 Tacoma. I've had Tundras in the past & while they're nice, they're too much truck IMO. If you pull horse trailers or space shuttles, sure. My Tacoma pulls avg size trailers all the time w/o issue. It's the perfect size for most everything and SO much easier in parking lots & traffic. It's more capable off-road & lighter for trails & fuel economy. I'm about 6' tall & a biscuit shy of 300lbs & I've got plenty of room. If you don't haul 4 adults round all the time & just want easier access to the rear the access cab is perfect. It's the easiest since you don't have to go around a back door to get in. I'm in my back seat area all the time & the suicide door layout of the Access Cab is perfect. I used my buddies double cab Tacoma for a couple of days & was amazed how much more cumbersome getting into the back seat was. That & you can't just turn around in the front seat to grab stuff as it's too far. I couldn't wait to have my AC back. Mine is also supercharged but from what you've said the gains that adds wouldn't be something you're looking for. Either way you really can't go wrong with a Toyota truck. Personally, I think you will do less wrong with a Tacoma. ;-) I know I haven't regretted a day of my decision to downsize. BTW, the first passenger vehicle to the South Pole wasn't a Tundra. In addition, the fastest passenger vehicle to the South Pole. If you're planning a trip to the south pole... There you go. lol

Jer
04-05-13, 10:46

Wanna race? :cool:

J-Dub
04-05-13, 11:13
I've owned three tacomas. 2001 Dcab trdoffroad, 2009 reg cab 4x4, and my current 2010 dcab trdoffroad.

Put 175k trouble free miles on my 01, probably avg. 18-19mpg. My 4cyl 09 4x4 reg cab got around 23-25mpg with 235/85/16 tires (it was also a 5speed).

I would bet my new to me 2010 Trdoffroad dcab gets a combined 17-18mpg, although I've never calculated it.

In hindsight I wish I wouldve kept my regular cab. Yes it is nice having extra space and a hard topper on my 2010, but the regular cab got great mileage. Although it did suck ass going over mountain passes with a head wind....or no wind at all. 3rd gear on the HIGHWAY going over the bighorns wasnt much fun..

The 4.0L V6 has plenty of power in my opinion. The TRD bucket seats kickass, and the TRD Offroad package is worth the price (rear locker, atrac, downhill assist).

brickboy240
04-05-13, 11:36
My first Tundra was a 2004. Drove it for 157k miles and sold it because I needed a real back seat. Never had the truck in the shop, except for tires, brakes.

My current Tundra is a 2006 Limited Double Cab 4WD with a 2.5" lift, 33" tires and Ranch hand bumpers. This truck has 207k on the clock and has only gone in the shop to have the timing belts replaced and tires/brakes.

Seriously...in over 200k miles...that is all I have done to it.

You will NEVER see me in another Ford or Chevy truck.....Toyota forever. They are the Glocks of the pickup world...if you ask me.

Gas mileage?

Well...it is a lifted 4wd V8 pickup....I had no illusions of it getting decent mileage and I have an old 4 banger Volvo for commuting in...so who cares? Reliability is king on a truck for me. I mean really...it is a truck...it is NOT going to get stellar mileage. BFD if the Ford or Chevy gets 1-3mpg better mileage. The dependability and less hassles of the Toyota outweigh any gas savings of the domestic trucks...if there is one.

Besides, the Toyota pickups are made in Texas by non-UAW workers...not in Detroit by Democrat voting UAW slugs...another plus to buying Toyota.

-brickboy240

SHIVAN
04-05-13, 11:39
2005 Double Cab Tacoma - running a Scangauge II OBDII device I am finding that on the mixed hwy/city driving on the way home I am getting about 21 mpg. I do not drive slowly or accelerate slowly, FWIW.

"City" only driving is about 17.8-ish.

The 2005 4.0L V6 had a similar power rating to the late 90's early 2000s V8's.

markm
04-05-13, 11:56
Resale? There isn't a vehicle made (car or truck) with better resale than a 4x4 Tacoma.

You aren't kidding. I'm fixin to get a new Toyota truck too. The suckers are like Colt 6920s after a Muslim re-election. :mad:

Mac5.56
04-05-13, 13:05
Get a Tacoma Access cab. After my research that's what I decided on & you're echoing a lot of the things I was looking for. Resale? There isn't a vehicle made (car or truck) with better resale than a 4x4 Tacoma. I've had Tundras in the past & while they're nice, they're too much truck IMO. If you pull horse trailers or space shuttles, sure. My Tacoma pulls avg size trailers all the time w/o issue. It's the perfect size for most everything and SO much easier in parking lots & traffic. It's more capable off-road & lighter for trails & fuel economy. I'm about 6' tall & a biscuit shy of 300lbs & I've got plenty of room. If you don't haul 4 adults round all the time & just want easier access to the rear the access cab is perfect. It's the easiest since you don't have to go around a back door to get in. I'm in my back seat area all the time & the suicide door layout of the Access Cab is perfect. I used my buddies double cab Tacoma for a couple of days & was amazed how much more cumbersome getting into the back seat was. That & you can't just turn around in the front seat to grab stuff as it's too far. I couldn't wait to have my AC back. Mine is also supercharged but from what you've said the gains that adds wouldn't be something your looking for. Either way you really can't go wrong with a Toyota truck. Personally, I think you will do less wrong with a Tacoma. ;-) I know I haven't regretted a day of my decision to downsize. BTW, the first passenger vehicle to the South Pole wasn't a Tundra. Neither was the fastest passenger vehicle to the South Pole. If you're planning a trip to the south pole... There you go. lol

I am going to echo what Jer said. I just got the 2012 and I love it for all the above reasons, and I drove a 2006 with a TRX package for years. Both have been great trucks.

Mine is all I could ask for off road too, and I would take it anywhere I felt comfortable driving and not ever question the trucks capability.

bulbvivid
04-05-13, 13:06
If you haven't yet, you definitely want to do some research at tacomaworld.com. Quite a bit about Tundras there too. You might even run into our old friend rob_s. See if he has a Tacoma chart. :D

I went from a 1996 ext. cab SR5 to a 2012 DCSB. I have no complaints. If you're used to the longer bed, the short bed might be cause for consternation. I have a cap and basically use the bed as a trunk I can get muddy, so it doesn't bother me.

If you use it like a truck, you'll definitely want to get some Weathertech or Husky floor liners. I also put on Husky mud guards, because the OEM ones are flat-out stupid (stiff and too long). If you're inclined to a bug-deflector-type apparatus, don't get the Toyota one. It is also stupid, and I hate it. Because it's stupid.

My new one has so many drive modes that I can't keep up. Find the thread on TW about it. Between the A-TRAC, LSD, locker and other jazz, I think there's like 9 drive modes. And if you get a newer model, you'll have to get used to the engine braking. A lot of folks complain about it, but I like it. Avoid the Entune system if you plan on doing your own stereo stuff. I have it and am glad I do, but from what I understand the JVC equipment doesn't play nice with others.

I could go on, but you'll likely get more accurate and timely info at TW. Just be careful, I spent money on mods I would have never considered before going there. I have to limit my exposure so I don't end up with a fully caged, lifted beast that can stomp through Moab on the way to the mall.

Apricotshot
04-05-13, 13:33
I have a 2011 Tacoma Dbl Cab TRD Sport and I love it. It's 2WD but I don't need the 4WD option. I get 20.5 MPG pretty steadily and I drive a 50/50 mix of city and HWY milage.

chadbag
04-05-13, 13:38
and the crewmax/megacab/supercrew trucks typically get the shortbed as standard. My F150 is the supercab with a 6.5ft bed, whereas the short bed being 5.5ft wont even hold a queen size mattress with the gate up!

At least with Dodge the "short bed" is a 6.2' or something. The long bed is 8'

My Megacab is awesome. It is like an SUV plus a pickup truck bed in terms of hauling things. OR I can stick my 2 kids in the back, wife in the front, and still have 1 seat laid down and haul a few Dillon Xl650 presses to Fedex at the same time, or a buttload of groceries at costco, and not even touch the bed.

And the Cummins engine rocks. (5.9 6 cylinder diesel -- no emissions liquid to add!)

IF Toyota had a diesel Tacoma in the US (Or Hilux) I'd be all over it. But alas, no love from Toyota in the US.

--

markm
04-05-13, 14:00
You might even run into our old friend rob_s.

I thought that idiot drove an Escalade. I wonder if he's a "subject matter expert" on that forum too! :no:

tb-av
04-05-13, 14:57
Thanks guys, lots of good info.

@icanhittheman ... probably sell it. Not sure yet. I'm in central VA. Once I decide for sure if you are interested and have some means to see it, that's fine by me.

@Jer... I have to agree with a lot you said. The Tundra is probably just more truck than I need but I want a bit more than I have now. Even if it means doing some after market stuff like better wheels and tires or things like that.

I had not considered the suicide doors on that access cab. That would actually be perfect for what I need. I would like to be able to stand right there and grab a few things from back and front. Or load stuff in that way as well.

If you really want to race... go to Bandimere... find the guy with the silver Jeep Grand Cherokee.. His nick name is Wink... Tell him you know a guy from VA named Tom B. Line up beside him and take a run. He had a 20 run average last year of 10.826 - 123.87mph and a best of 10.617 - 126.64mph

---------------
tacomaworld.com --- I'll check that out, have not been there before.

I hope to try to get out and drive a couple this week end, just to see how the newer styles feel compared to what I'm used to

montanadave
04-05-13, 19:32
My wife absolutely hated the "suicide doors" on her old Tacoma. Every time she went shopping and pulled a cart up to the truck in a parking lot, she ended up standing between the open doors with the cart on the other side. :laugh:

So she's shopping for another one, but it'll be a 4-door.

JPB
04-05-13, 19:54
I've got an '07 Tundra Crewmax (5.7L) and love it. I really like the Tacos too, but after comparing fuel consumption of both vehicles (negligable difference), going with the smaller less powerful vehicle just didn't make sense for me.

Belmont31R
04-05-13, 19:58
Wanna race? :cool:

I raced a 5.7 Tundra and smoked him pretty easy. They are significantly more powerful than the V6 Tacoma...

Jer
04-05-13, 22:55
My wife absolutely hated the "suicide doors" on her old Tacoma. Every time she went shopping and pulled a cart up to the truck in a parking lot, she ended up standing between the open doors with the cart on the other side. :laugh:

So she's shopping for another one, but it'll be a 4-door.

If she cared about her truck she would park further out away from all the other cars anyway. I know I do and this isn't an issue. :cool:

Jer
04-05-13, 22:56
I raced a 5.7 Tundra and smoked him pretty easy. They are significantly more powerful than the V6 Tacoma...

You may have missed the part where I said my 4.0L wasn't exactly stock. :cool:

ThirdWatcher
04-06-13, 19:49
If she cared about her truck she would park further out away from all the other cars anyway. I know I do and this isn't an issue. :cool:

Ever notice how many times you do park farther away only to return and find some idiot has parked right next to you?

montanadave
04-06-13, 20:10
Ever notice how many times you do park farther away only to return and find some idiot has parked right next to you?

Never fails.

obucina
04-06-13, 20:23

you mean every time i venture into WIC Mart? or any retail establishment? Or my place of employment? Which ended up with the theft of my truck? Why yes, I have noticed.

citizensoldier16
04-07-13, 01:47
Personally, for the price, I'd rather have a V8 Silverado or Sierra...just my opinion.

Jer
04-07-13, 02:06
Personally, for the price, I'd rather have a V8 Silverado or Sierra...just my opinion.

Your Silverado or Sierra will be worth half as much after 4 years. Save a couple bucks now, lose a LOT later.

markm
04-08-13, 08:35
Your Silverado or Sierra will be worth half as much after 4 years. Save a couple bucks now, lose a LOT later.

Plus that AC delco garbage electronics will suck your wallet silly too. It's just a lose/lose/lose when you buy and American Truck.

America needs to go back to points ignition systems.... so at least people can fix the trashy product themselves.

Rmplstlskn
04-08-13, 18:04
This is why I went with the Tundra 5.7L I-Force V8... My old '07 FJ could never do this, nor would the Tacoma...
http://www.wwyd.org/images/Rmpl/Tundra/TundraTRD_kayaks&RV.jpg

Got a great deal on a 2012 Tundra DC TRD Rock Warrior... Good trade-in for my '07 FJ Cruiser, sale price on the Tundra, and 0% APR from Toyota Financial for 5 years... A USED Tundra with 40k miles with regular APR loan would have been a year longer and more money... No brainer...

I get about 16 mpg CITY, but the TRD has smaller 17" tires. Tows powerfully and the tow package is worth every penny... The TRD is also de-chromed significantly. Added the hard cover topper to the 0% loan. Love the TRD rims too!

Rmpl

GeorgiaBoy
04-08-13, 18:29
If Toyota would make a decent looking truck I'd consider buying one. The Tacoma and especially Tundra have been fugly since the last redesign. The 2014 Tundra is going to look no different.

Until then it's GM/Ford for me.

chadbag
04-08-13, 18:40
If Toyota would make a decent looking truck I'd consider buying one. The Tacoma and especially Tundra have been fugly since the last redesign. The 2014 Tundra is going to look no different.

Until then it's GM/Ford for me.

Ha ha. That's funny. GM has the fugliest trucks out there. Bar none. Ford is a bit better...

I drive a RAM because it has the Cummins. It's also better looking than GM and tied with Ford but that was not a consideration.

If Toyota had a diesel truck in the US I'd seriously consider the Toyota.

---

GeorgiaBoy
04-08-13, 18:49
Ha ha. That's funny. GM has the fugliest trucks out there. Bar none. Ford is a bit better...

Really? Japanese styling looks good on cars, but not on trucks, IMO.

Are you saying this: http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/GenericImages/2013/02/06/nissantitan2013-4_3_r536_c534.jpg?1b79b3da202957124496e3768cfb7b67cdb10c81

Looks better than this?: http://media.caranddriver.com/images/10q2/356571/2011-gmc-sierra-denali-heavy-duty-photo-357306-s-1280x782.jpg

I drive a RAM because it has the Cummins. It's also better looking than GM and tied with Ford but that was not a consideration.

If Toyota had a diesel truck in the US I'd seriously consider the Toyota.

---

Rams look good, especially the current models. The 2014 GM trucks are going to look a lot better than the current ones.

Jer
04-08-13, 19:14

Are you saying this: http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/GenericImages/2013/02/06/nissantitan2013-4_3_r536_c534.jpg?1b79b3da202957124496e3768cfb7b67cdb10c81

Looks better than this?: http://media.caranddriver.com/images/10q2/356571/2011-gmc-sierra-denali-heavy-duty-photo-357306-s-1280x782.jpg

Rams look good, especially the current models. The 2014 GM trucks are going to look a lot better than the current ones.

Uhmm... that's a Nissan. And if you think the GM stuff looks better... go look at the new stuff coming out. I couldn't believe how fugly that stuff was at the Denver Auto show last week.

Edit: I see now that you actually think the new 2014 GM stuff coming out looks better so I can see we just disagree on looks which is fine. But I'm right. lol

GeorgiaBoy
04-08-13, 19:23
Uhmm... that's a Nissan. And if you think the GM stuff looks better... go look at the new stuff coming out. I couldn't believe how fugly that stuff was at the Denver Auto show last week.

Edit: I see now that you actually think the new 2014 GM stuff coming out looks better so I can see we just disagree on looks which is fine. But I'm right. lol

Chadbag said "GM has the ugliest trucks, bar none". Doesn't matter if its a Nissan.

Yes we disagree. And no, you aren't right. :p

Jer
04-08-13, 19:25
Chadbag said "GM has the ugliest trucks, bar none". Doesn't matter if its a Nissan.

No, you aren't right. :p

Uh huh... am so!!

GeorgiaBoy
04-08-13, 19:29
2014 Tundra:
http://image.trucktrend.com/f/47805531/2014-Toyota-Tundra-1794-Edition-front-three-quarters-2.jpg

2014 Silverado:

http://s1.aecdn.com/images/news/gallery/2013-naias-all-new-2014-chevy-silverado-live-photos_1.jpg

Anyone who says the Toyota looks better has NO taste. :D

Honu
04-08-13, 19:40
I thought that was some concept grill2 vehicle ? not the actual 2014 ?

yeah GMC concepts are so pretty !
http://www.velocityjournal.com/images/stk/2000/gm2000terradyneconcept01.jpg

http://www.autoweek.com/galleryimage/CW/20130207/CHICAGO/207009996/PH/1/4/2014-Toyota-Tundra.jpg

yeah that GMC looked modern cool in the 90s maybe :)

2014 Tundra:
http://image.trucktrend.com/f/47805531/2014-Toyota-Tundra-1794-Edition-front-three-quarters-2.jpg

2014 Silverado:

http://s1.aecdn.com/images/news/gallery/2013-naias-all-new-2014-chevy-silverado-live-photos_1.jpg

tb-av
04-08-13, 21:14
This is why I went with the Tundra 5.7L I-Force V8... My old '07 FJ could never do this, nor would the Tacoma...
http://www.wwyd.org/images/Rmpl/Tundra/TundraTRD_kayaks&RV.jpg

Got a great deal on a 2012 Tundra DC TRD Rock Warrior... Good trade-in for my '07 FJ Cruiser, sale price on the Tundra, and 0% APR from Toyota Financial for 5 years... A USED Tundra with 40k miles with regular APR loan would have been a year longer and more money... No brainer...

I get about 16 mpg CITY, but the TRD has smaller 17" tires. Tows powerfully and the tow package is worth every penny... The TRD is also de-chromed significantly. Added the hard cover topper to the 0% loan. Love the TRD rims too!

Rmpl

That's a nice looking setup.

chadbag
04-08-13, 21:26

I don't care for Japanese styling on most cars or most trucks, though the Toyota trucks look pretty good.

I prefer German cars (and drive a poor-man's one, VW). (Except for MB -- they were good 25 years ago, plus or minus 5 or so).

Heck, when I got my current RAM (2006) it was a German truck :p (Daimler Chrysler)

Sorry, GM trucks don't do much for me.

--

markm
04-09-13, 08:00

I couldn't care less about the looks (within reason) as long as the thing didn't fall apart in 3 years. America just has NO business building cars in the electronic age.

Computer controls fail, power window motors fail... Who the **** is designing this dog shit?

J-Dub
04-09-13, 08:05
I couldn't care less about the looks (within reason) as long as the thing didn't fall apart in 3 years. America just has NO business building cars in the electronic age.

Computer controls fail, power window motors fail... Who the **** is designing this dog shit?

They get you on the comeback....

samuse
04-09-13, 08:28
I've been driving trucks all my life.

Owned Ford, Dodge, GM, Nissan and Toyota.

They're all about the same. I've had more Fords than any other and less problems out of them than all others combined.

Toyotas are light duty trucks aimed at the urban/camping/DIY gardener type people. Or maybe hippies.

Flame me all you want, but my off-road miles are in the thousands every year. I use my trucks at work in the pipeline industry and there's a reason that you just don't see Toyotas out there...

Rmplstlskn
04-09-13, 19:14
LOL! Even a thread specifically about TOYOTA trucks ends up being stomped on by off-topic banter and piss contests... :dirol:

Us gun owners are so funny...

Rmpl