PDA

View Full Version : 1911

dixiereaper75
04-05-13, 07:23
I recently picked up a RIA 1911 for my birthday. Yes I know it's not the best but I want to upgrade it become a reliable pistol. Where should I start? I'm eventually getting a suppressor for it so keep that in mind. I'd post pictures of it if I knew how. TIA Dixiereaper75

Army Chief
04-05-13, 09:08
Honestly? You should start by shooting it -- a lot -- so you get a sense for what the gun might actually need, and/or where you feel it could be improved ergonomically.

Contrary to popular opinion, not every 1911 needs an upgrade, and although people tend to treat them like kit guns that bring on an irresistible urge to tinker, because of the way that parts are fitted in ths gun, many/most of these "upgrades" actually take something away from the piece in terms of performance and longevity.

In competent hands, much can be done to improve things, but as a home workshop project, you're far better off getting to know the gun before you begin Dremeling your way to unhappiness. Having a set of gunsmith screwdrivers and a Kuhnhausen manual is really no substitute for years of bench experience with this pistol.

Need to do something now? Take a good look at the sights. Most USGI style 1911s do benefit from a judicious sight upgrade. I prefer Heinie Straight-Eights, with a front night sight. Grip panels are another fairly straightforward job. After that, you're more or less asking for adventure.

AC

RCI1911
04-05-13, 09:29
For now just shoot the crap out of it and see how it shakes out. If something breaks, replace it with an upgrade. I personally would not go throwing alot of money at a RIA because at the end of the day its still a RIA value wise. Those RIA can be pretty darn reliable out of the box. It might suprise you.

Blayglock
04-05-13, 10:03
Just get some decent mags and make sure you like the sights.

dixiereaper75
04-05-13, 11:01
Thanks!

Shorts
04-05-13, 13:42
I agree, shoot it. For all you know it is already reliable. Reliable to me means runs, period. No FTFs, no FTEs - runs no matter what.