PDA

View Full Version : Consensus on Armalite M15A2 carbine

PatAttack
04-06-13, 08:05
I've had this rifle for a few years and bought it for a song. What say you guys on the quality of this rifle?

I recently purchased a Palmetto State Defense PSD-15 and am really pleased with the quality and performance.

What do you guys think of the Armalite? Should I dump it?

ZoneOne
04-06-13, 08:40
I think the fact that you are posting online inquiring about the quality speaks in and of itself.

PatAttack
04-06-13, 08:43
I think the fact that you are posting online inquiring about the quality speaks in and of itself.

That's what I thought. I thought it was a pretty good deal at the time for $350...

MistWolf
04-06-13, 08:51
$350 was a good price.

The biggest reason Armalite gets hammered is because for awhile, they offered only a 1/.9 twist because they felt it was the most versatile. I don't know if they HPT/MPI their bolts. In my opinion, HPT (High Pressure Testing) isn't needed if the bolts are made from the right material using consistent and proven manufacturing processes. HPT reduces the life of the bolt by one proof load. Shot peening for stress relieving is much more important.

If your Armalite runs good, you got a great deal

PatAttack
04-06-13, 08:55
I've ran about 600 rds. through it and have had no problems...yet.

Thanks for the insight so far.

sinister
04-06-13, 13:36
I'll give you $350 for it, sight unseen (hey, it's used now, right?), today, to give you peace of mind. :D

Quentin
04-06-13, 15:21
Well you got a good deal at $350, I'd probably hang on to it if you want an A2 or retro style AR. I had ArmaLite's M15A4C (flat top upper) and traded off the upper since most deficiencies are in the upper (barrel, BCG, gas block, front sight height, etc.)

I kept the lower since I like the rollmark and there's nothing really wrong with the lower. Put a BCM upper on an ArmaLite lower and you have a fine rifle. (ArmaLite's receiver extension is milspec diameter not comspec like Bushmaster and it's kind.)

Jack-O
04-06-13, 23:03
I've ran about 600 rds. through it and have had no problems...yet.

Thanks for the insight so far.

why ask our OPINION when you have your own EXPERIENCE to lean on :confused:

600 trouble free rounds is nothing to sniff at. most folks who dont even have that on thier gun, yet pontificate about it's greatness based on a name brand and internet cred.

If you really want my opinion, I would buy an armalite in a second at two and a half times what you paid (if I wanted an AR). I dont recall any squared away owners ever bitching about them... quite the opposite actually. But they didnt spend much time reading forums to form an opinion of their rifle tho... they just shot it.

Swag
04-06-13, 23:11
If you know you ARE going to sell it eventually, then now is definitely the time to do it. Turn that $350.00 purchase into a $700.00 sale (or maybe more). I for one wouldn't frown on your good fortune.

3O8Junkie
04-06-13, 23:14
$350 was a good price.

The biggest reason Armalite gets hammered is because for awhile, they offered only a 1/.9 twist because they felt it was the most versatile. I don't know if they HPT/MPI their bolts. In my opinion, HPT (High Pressure Testing) isn't needed if the bolts are made from the right material using consistent and proven manufacturing processes. HPT reduces the life of the bolt by one proof load. Shot peening for stress relieving is much more important.

If your Armalite runs good, you got a great deal

My research has found that they do use the correct materials for their bolts. As I understand it they are not HPT, but they are MP/Shot peened.
I know that in the case of Armalite's .308 BCG it comes from the same source as Noveske. I got confirmation from Noveske on this.

I suspect that they have the same source for their AR15 bolts as they carry the same specs. 158 carpenter/ MP/Shot peened, but this is pure speculation on my part.

texasgunhand
04-06-13, 23:20
Any one know how their lower part kits are???