PDA

View Full Version : Chippers/Shredders

montanadave
04-06-13, 10:56
Anybody have one? Best bang for the buck?

I need a chipper that can handle up to 4" limbs and don't have a tractor with a PTO so I'm stuck looking for a gas-engine unit which would be towable behind my ATV. I keep getting brochures for DR Power Equipment (http://www.drpower.com/prdSell.aspx?Name=cpr-sp-pro), but I'm left wondering if DR isn't the Bose of the power equipment world (i.e. an excellent marketing campaign with high-end prices for what is decent but not top-end equipment). DR Power Equipment is pricey and, while I don't mind spending money for quality, I'd like to have some confidence in what I'm buying beyond the company's marketing department.

Any advice/suggestions/caveats appreciated.

SteyrAUG
04-06-13, 13:49
You are still gonna need a bag of quicklime.

:D

polymorpheous
04-06-13, 13:54
You are still gonna need a bag of quicklime.

:D

:lol:

Is that your friend in the wood chipper?

Ryno12
04-06-13, 14:14
Ask the experts:

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

AKDoug
04-06-13, 14:39
There isn't a DR chipper worth the money in my opinion. Chippers are one of those tools that you really should go professional sized or nothing else. My 6" Vermeer chipper will stall on 4" stock from time to time and it's a 2000# hydraulic run unit that you can't tow behind an ATV. I have a tool rental business and it's part of my fleet. Unless you have a TON of chipping to do, renting one is far cheaper. I rent mine out for $100 for 4 hours. I chipped 4 dumptruck loads of brush in 4 hours at the end of last summer.