PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Sr-556 thoughts

larry starling
04-06-13, 14:10
Haven't done much research on this rifle. All of my current rifles are DI and haven't thought to much about piston Ar's. But I have been offered a Ruger at a very good price and was curious as to other's experience with this rifle?

Quentin
04-06-13, 14:53
I would pass on it. Even if it's marked down $500+ you can get much better ARs than the Ruger. Use the search button above and I doubt you'll find much love for the SR-556 at here M4C.

Matt M.
04-12-13, 16:15
there is not much love anywhere for this gun, i have one and love it...havent figured out quite the issue, except some are gun snobs

fallenromeo
04-12-13, 16:25
there is not much love anywhere for this gun, i have one and love it...havent figured out quite the issue, except some are gun snobs

Well let's see. First, most people on this forum prefer a true 5.56 chamber, the Ruger is .223

Most here prefer Mil-spec Receiver extension, Ruger is commercial.

Most prefer Mil-Spec materials, the barrel and BCG is not mil-spec.

Yes, we are snobs. :rolleyes:

Matt M.
04-12-13, 17:20
Well let's see. First, most people on this forum prefer a true 5.56 chamber, the Ruger is .223

Most here prefer Mil-spec Receiver extension, Ruger is commercial.

Most prefer Mil-Spec materials, the barrel and BCG is not mil-spec.

Yes, we are snobs. :rolleyes:

well possibly you should know more about the things you hate,

the ruger fb 556sb is a 5.56 chamber, i have never shot .223 thru mine,

the bcg is not a mil spec. nor is the barrel, however, would that not be expected of a piston gun???

levik97
04-12-13, 17:22
It's been debated numerous times here. I'm not trying to be offensive as I have done it my self but the search button is your friend. As to your original question though, I have shot one and I personally liked it but I am about as far from a professional as one can get.

Levi

Five_Point_Five_Six
04-12-13, 19:36
Take a DI gun, hang a 2 lb weight off the end of the barrel and that will give you an idea of what the Ruger SR556 feels like.

first there
04-12-13, 20:01

The man speaks true words I shoot a 516 love it but everyone on here dogs on it. If you go to AR15.com they are a little more open minded towards piston rifles in my opinion. I was torn between the sr556 and the 516 it came down to weight for me. LWRC makes some very nice piston rifles too.

Matt M.
04-12-13, 21:21
Take a DI gun, hang a 2 lb weight off the end of the barrel and that will give you an idea of what the Ruger SR556 feels like.

and after you hang the kitchen sink off the front of your di gun, it would weigh the same.

just because it is different does not mean it is bad....

NYH1
04-12-13, 21:34
I don't know to much about Ruger's SR-556. I have read a few different posts here and on other sits that mentioned you have to send the SR-556 back to Ruger to have some basic maintenance done. IIRC, removing the front hand guard has to be done at the factory or by a gunsmith. Others with hands on experience will be a lot more helpful with this. Just wanted to mention it to you.

Good luck, NYH1.

Striker
04-12-13, 22:03
Haven't done much research on this rifle. All of my current rifles are DI and haven't thought to much about piston Ar's. But I have been offered a Ruger at a very good price and was curious as to other's experience with this rifle?

Personally, if I were going to buy a piston AR I would look at HK first, then maybe LWRC. Can't think of any reason I would look beyond those right now.

incognito
04-12-13, 22:05
and after you hang the kitchen sink off the front of your di gun, it would weigh the same.

just because it is different does not mean it is bad....

It is true that different does not automatically equal bad, by the same logic it does not automatically equal good, either. All designs, of anything, are a compromise. The trick then, is to look at WHY a design is different.

What problem(s) does it solve? What does it do better or worse, if anything? Is it more reliable, equally reliable, or less? Equal in cost, cheaper, or more expensive? More accurate, equal, or less? Heavier, or lighter, or close to equal in weight? Easier to get or make parts for, or harder? Made of superior parts, or equal, or inferior? Easier or harder to add upgrades later on?

Now compare the number of positives to the negatives and neutrals. If it solves problems without giving ground in too many other areas, it is a step forward. If it gains some, and gives up some in a near equal amount, it is a step sideways, not better or worse, just a different item for people with different priorities. If it solves no, or very few problems, while having many disadvantages, it is nothing but a marketing ploy, developed not to advance the breed, but to separate misinformed consumers from hard earned cash.

So, what problem(s) does this new widget solve?

Iraqgunz
04-13-13, 00:41
There are plenty of threads regarding the SR-556.