PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 magazine spring confusion omnibus

DreadPirateMoyer
04-06-13, 14:52
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty confused about my G17 magazines and have a ton of questions about them. Could anyone help me figure out this mess? Google has failed me.

1. Glock 17 OEM magazines: do they come with 10 or 11 coil springs? The interbutts are filled with conflicting info and hearsay. (A: G17 mags come stock with a 10 coil spring)

2. 11 coil springs: are they considered "extra power," even if they come stock in G17 mags? I like all of my magazines to be extra power for hot ammo I often shoot. (A: Since they come with a 10 coil spring, yes, the 11 coil springs are extra power)

3. Wolff magazine springs: anyone know what magical material they are made of? Specifically, with regards to its corrosion resistance?

4. Glock OEM magazine springs: stainless steel, correct?

5. Anyone use WSD extra power magazine springs? If the G17 springs aren't extra power from the factory, I want to buy some and put them in the mags. I'm torn on what to put in: Glock 11 coils, Wolff +10%, or WSD +10%. If 11 coils are considered extra power in a G17, that's the way I'm leaning, but if not, the WSD springs look like my next choice.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Airhasz
04-06-13, 15:13
FWIW, I have heard no one complain about stock glock mags no matter what ammo they are running in them...:big_boss:

morpheus6d9
04-06-13, 15:23
/scribed

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Dave Berryhill
04-06-13, 15:37
I was at a Glock armorers school earlier this week and was told that 10 coils were originally used in the full-size mags and 11 coils are used in the current full size mags so it sounds like they have increased the spring length by 1 coil. I don't know when the change was made.

This was from lecture and is not in the manual.

JSGlock34
04-06-13, 15:50
If I recall correctly from the Glock Armorer's course I attended several years ago, the standard G17 magazine spring (SP00448) has 10 coils. When using the factory +2 extension (for a 19 round G17 magazine), Glock specifies use of the G22 magazine spring (SP02551), which has 11 coils.

I've never had an issue with my G17 magazines with the standard 10 coil spring. However, I know of at least one knowledgeable user who runs the 11 coil springs in his standard G17 magazines, with no problems.

Dave Berryhill
04-06-13, 16:47
The reason for Glock originally going with the heavier 11 coil spring was due to feeding issues on the G22 with a light attached.

The parts list still shows a 10 coil spring for G17 mags. Either the parts list is not up to date or my instructor was speaking only about G22 mags and I misunderstood him.

kenndapp
04-06-13, 17:04
i use glock oem +2 basepads on the g17 (many of them. and use them often). i use the Wolff XP spring for this purpose. your question of spring materiel and corrosion resistance makes me wonder if i would be better served using the 11 coil g22 mag spring for the purpose of the +2 base pad. no? does any one have any knowledge of Wolff springs vs glock oem springs in terms of materials and processes?

kantstudien
04-06-13, 21:56
If you have a Gen 3 9mm Glock, don't go changing the spring weights. 9mm Glocks are set-up correctly for 9mm, so they are GTG.

If you want to shoot .40 or 10mm, then definitely change recoil spring weights (I like Wolff guide rods and springs).

Glock didn't want to do this in the past because of the inventory confusion it might have caused them, but it resulted in problems like malfunctions in .40 cal Glocks with a light attached.

Gen 4 Glocks have their own spring weights for each gun.

Sean_gt
04-06-13, 22:54
Dave, I think I sat beside you in that class earlier this week. Great class, I learned a lot that day.

I also remember the comment about the G22. I think he mentioned that the 11 coil spring was good to use with the + attachment on the 17 mag too.

So G17 standard mag=10 coil. G17 mag with "+" floorplate=optional 11 coil.

DreadPirateMoyer
04-07-13, 00:49
To add some info to the thread, here's a picture of the springs I pulled out of my G17 mags:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a202/XLordShortyX/photo-1_zps97bd89a5.jpg

Those are 10 coil springs, correct? If so, it looks like OEM 11 coil springs or the WSD springs are in my future.

I say this because I currently have Wolff +10% springs in my magazines, and after reading that they're most likely some sort of high-carbon music wire, I'm looking to get back into stainless steel springs (I live in a rust-heavy environment). Once I made that decision, however, all of the above questions popped up.

And kantstudien, I think you're talking about recoil springs, not mag springs. :)

ST911
04-07-13, 01:04
Per: Glock Armorers Manual US Addendum 2013, and info in my recent AC...

p/n 448, 10 coil spring, used with previous and current 17rd G17 mags, and older G22 mags. Do not use with tac lights.

p/n 2551, 11 coil spring, use with previous and current 19rd G17 mags using 7151 floorplate. Standard for newer G22 mags. Must be used with tac lights.

There is no harm using using an 11coil in a standard frame, or 10 coil in a compact (they are usually 9). A 10 coil may be indicated in compacts using tac lights.

With these options, there is no need for an aftermarket XP spring.

Do not put a 10 coil in your subcompact. They already have plenty of spring tension.

Recent shipments of G17 mags have had both 10 and 11 coil springs without apparent rhyme or reason. G22 springs have been 11 coils.

DreadPirateMoyer
04-07-13, 02:16
Perfect! I think that answers all I need to know (though I'd still be curious if anyone knows the answers to all of 1-5).

If indeed the springs pictured above are 10-coil (are they?), and Glock OEM springs are stainless steel (are they?), I'll be buying a bunch of 11-coilers. :)

twistedcomrade
04-07-13, 08:39
Wow, this is good info. I have a bud that put extensions on his G17 mags last year and I will definitely pass this info along.

kenndapp
04-07-13, 09:04
Still wondering if it's worth it to switch out my Wolff XP springs for g22 springs. Not that I have ever had a problem with a wolf spring but if corrosion resistance and general durability and quality metarials favor the glock oem springs over Wolff ...... Then it just might be worth a second thought.

Nmate
04-07-13, 09:27
My Gen 4 G17 mags appear to all come with 10 coil springs. I'd have to go to my other place to have a look at my Gen 3 mags.

I do use the +10% Wolff springs, but only in my mags that have an Arredondo extension. Wolff doesn't recommend this, but Arredondo themselves use Wolff springs in the kits that they sell.

I really wouldn't worry about putting any extra power spring in a standard capacity G17 magazine, or any other Glock magazine for that matter.

DreadPirateMoyer
04-07-13, 12:48
I'm not too worried anymore. Just want to know at this point if those springs are indeed 10 coil and if Glock springs are stainless. :)

Dave Berryhill
04-07-13, 20:39
I received a clarification from my contact at Glock. The standard magazine spring for the G17 is still the 10 coil spring and for the G22 it's the 11 coil spring. The info in the current parts list is correct.

DreadPirateMoyer
04-07-13, 21:40
Perfect! Thanks Dave. :) Looks like I'll be ordering 11-coil springs if I can find out if they're stainless!

DreadPirateMoyer
04-08-13, 22:07
Been hunting high and low, and all I can find is a few random forum posts stating that Glock springs are stainless. Can anyone confirm this?

And does anyone know the answers to 3-5?

OP updated with current answers for those interested.

EzGoingKev
09-17-13, 13:09
I read someplace people are installing G17 springs in there G19 mags instead of buying aftermarket springs.

Is this the case and if so does it work?

Vendetta
09-17-13, 13:27
My G17's both came with the 10 coil and I never had an issue with rust, corrosion, or them being too weak to feed. I only changed them to the 11 coil springs when I added the +2 extension for all my duty mags, merely because that's what Glock reccomends and that's their "extra power" spring for those mag types. It is what they ship in their factory +2 mags they send out.

Years of loaded mags, rounds, weather, and all around abuse and the 11 coil Glock springs have never failed me.

ST911
09-17-13, 14:47
I read someplace people are installing G17 springs in there G19 mags instead of buying aftermarket springs.

See post #11 above.

walkin' trails
09-17-13, 22:43
I have some G17)mags that have had Wolff springs since the late 90s and still work great. Prior to the Wolff springsz I seemed to have problems with spring longevity whether I rotated mags or not. Wolffs cured that problem. I began using them again in a G23 when I first got a weapons light and experienced the dame problems that the 22s had. Wolffs took care of that problem. I also noted that stock springs for the 27 mags tended not to last as long with a Glock +1 extender. Wolffs again. I admit that I haven't always had dedicated training mags and used duty mags for everything, so my mags have always seen a lot of cycles. Still, I believe the Wolffs work, and wish they'd offer some for the M&Ps too.

DreadPirateMoyer
09-17-13, 22:53
I see this thread is back from the dead. :) In case anyone was wondering, a friend and I used THE POWER OF SCIENCE to solve questions 3 and 4: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1657071

EzGoingKev
09-17-13, 23:06
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-sUd13pWXvtI/UjkmddPoaQI/AAAAAAAAGdA/PxYFuJNgrpo/s800/image.jpg

EricTheRed
09-17-13, 23:56

I put a G17 mag spring in a G19 mag with a +2 baseplate. It turned it into a +1. I didn't count the coils, perhaps I will go do that.

jerrysimons
09-27-13, 20:58
I put a G17 mag spring in a G19 mag with a +2 baseplate. It turned it into a +1. I didn't count the coils, perhaps I will go do that.

I am curious as to the best way to go with the G19 mags.
If the 10 coil G17 mags only let you +1 w G19 mags then the extra power Wolff springs are the way to go with the +2 base plate.

How about a G19 with tac light?
Stock G19 mag, 10 coil G17 mag, or Wolff extra power?

walkin' trails
09-27-13, 22:22
I am curious as to the best way to go with the G19 mags.
If the 10 coil G17 mags only let you +1 w G19 mags then the extra power Wolff springs are the way to go with the +2 base plate.

How about a G19 with tac light?
Stock G19 mag, 10 coil G17 mag, or Wolff extra power?

I don't have any experience with using G17 springs in G19 mags, with or without extensions. I do have good experience using Wolffs in standard capacity 17, 19, and 23 mags. I also used Wolffs in 23 mags with the Glock extenders, and in 27 mags with extenders as the 23 and 27 use the same spring. Either way, the Wolffs allowed me to load the extra round in the mags with extenders without any trouble. I got rid of my 40s and haven't tried extenders on the 9s. As far as a G19 with tac light, I would suggest trying it to see if it works or malfunctions with the light attached. If you have problems, the upgrade the springs.