PDA

View Full Version : Shooting an AR for the 1st time-Questions

skipperbrown
03-22-08, 20:17
I shot my S&W 15T for the first time today. I've never shot an AR. Wow, this is a lot of fun! 30 rounds b/f reloading!

I installed a griesselle (sp?) trigger and I never knew a semi could have as nice a trigger as a bolt gun. I'm guessing it's breaking at about 3 lbs. This is truly impressive.

Anyway, I have the following questions/observations:

The S&W stock really stinks. It wobbles. However, I like the idea of a collapsable stock. Who makes a nice replacement and I guess I need a special wrench to remove it? Does it have a special name?

Also, does someone make a foam pad I can glue to the stock so I can raise my cheek up and still get a good weld? I'm using a LaRue detachable mount and it's a little too high.

One thing that is a bit annoying is that I hear the spring in the stock twanging when the bolt returns to battery after a round is fired. It makes the gun sound sort of cheap. Is there a way to silence the spring or is this just part of the AR experience?

Thanks. I think I'm beginning to feel the black fever.

Safetyhit
03-22-08, 21:06
The S&W stock really stinks. It wobbles. However, I like the idea of a collapsible stock. Who makes a nice replacement and I guess I need a special wrench to remove it? Does it have a special name?

Thanks. I think I'm beginning to feel the black fever.

Welcome aboard. :)

The wrench is called a stock wrench. They are readily available.

The "twang" you hear sounds odd. Often that can be heard if it is the last round in the magazine and the bolt locks back. Not sure why you would hear it often, as all my AR's (Colt's and Bushmaster's) sound very solid when firing otherwise. But, I am not an armorer and fortunately many here are. You'll likely get your answer soon enough.

Ridgerunner665
03-22-08, 21:49
He is referring to being able to hear the spring compressing while firing...I can hear mine too, after all your ear is right there. Mine is a S&W too...and those stocks are cheap, but there are several options available...I'm looking into a Magpul stock myself.

RD62
03-23-08, 11:41
If you like a collapsible stock you may want to look into a Magpul CTR. It should directly replace the factory stock body and you won't need a wrench to swap them out. They make models to fit both commercial and mil-spec receiver extensions. I believe the M&P uses a mil-spec extension. They lock up very tightly with no movement, and have check risers available in 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4" sizes that snap onto the stock body. They are also available in several colors.

The VLTOR EMod stock is also very nice, although I am unaware of any specific check risers for this stock.

Links to both manufacturers can be found at the top of this page. I recommend Grant from G&R Tactical for your purchase, and if he is out of stock, Ranier Arms, Bravo Co, or GTS. I have had good dealings with all of the above.

The spring noise is normal, and I'm sure you will become accustomed to it. You can try a drop or two or lube on the buffer and spring and that may help if it really bothers you. And trust me no one else can hear it over the sound of the round going off.

-RD62

Edited to add: A quick look at Rob's chart shows that the S&W DOES use a Mil-spec receiver extension.

SGT D USMC
03-24-08, 01:47
ARF 15 buffer tube noise is music to my ear. My favorate music is the mechancial noise of an m 1 grand action when firing.:p

czydj
03-24-08, 07:23
Also, does someone make a foam pad I can glue to the stock so I can raise my cheek up and still get a good weld? I'm using a LaRue detachable mount and it's a little too high.

From what I see and have read, specifically from Magpul, the CTR "extensions" will get in the way of the charging handle that runs right along the top of the stock.

Here's the magpul link to one of their CTR riser pads:

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_73_94&products_id=245

With all that said, I like the CTR stock with the rubber butt pad better than the wobbly M&P stock...