PDA

View Full Version : BCM Mid, or Socom Barrel

hawkins990
04-06-13, 17:02
I am looking to upgrade from a 1:9 to a 1:7. I hear that BCM makes good barrels I have a few questions. What can you tell me about these barrels based on experience? Can I mount a mid length barrel on a standard upper receiver or will I need to buy a mid-length receiver. I am torn between the 16" and the 14.5 someone sell me on one. Is the 16" better? I would like this rifle to be for personal defense or small game and if need be accurate shots at 300 yards I will be shooting reloads

ForTehNguyen
04-06-13, 17:14
16" midlength is good, receiver is good. Be sure to get a midlength gas tube

NoveskeFan
04-06-13, 17:21
BCM is great! The receiver is standard, its the gas tube that you have to match with the barrels gas system. So yes, you can mount any length barrel to any standard receiver as long as the gas tube matches the barrel. 14.5" without a pinned muzzle device making it 16" overall would require a tax stamp for having a SBR. For simplicity, its usually recommended to just get a 16".

I am looking to upgrade from a 1:9 to a 1:7. I hear that BCM makes good barrels I have a few questions. What can you tell me about these barrels based on experience? Can I mount a mid length barrel on a standard upper receiver or will I need to buy a mid-length receiver. I am torn between the 16" and the 14.5 someone sell me on one. Is the 16" better? I would like this rifle to be for personal defense or small game and if need be accurate shots at 300 yards I will be shooting reloads

usmc1371
04-06-13, 19:32
THe BCM's are great. I have a 16" mid stainless from them and its extremely accurate, I couldn't be happier with the complete upper I got from BCM. My next upper will be a 16" bfh light weight from BCM when the one I want is in stock.

Zane1844
04-06-13, 20:38
BCM is great! I've had no problems at all with mine.

samuse
04-07-13, 07:20
Your accuracy expectations may be better satisfied with a stainless barrel. If you work up the right load, your 1/9 may surprise you. If you're not shooting long and/or heavy bullets, a 1/7 may not be any improvement over what you have.

The SOCOM barrel is just a new gov't profile. They may be slightly more accurate than a regular M4, but it ain't much.

A 16" BCM mid will have similar accuracy.

A word about weight:

A SOCOM/M4A1 barrel is 14.5" and heavier under the handguards.

A regular BCM mid (16") weighs slightly less but is heavier at the muzzle.

A gov't profile 16" mid balances very much like a 14.5" M4A1 but I think the M4A1 handles a bit better than a 16" gov't profile mid because the brunt of the weight is closer to you.

If I was gonna set out to slap together a gun that was gonna be used primarily to take small game, it'd be rockin' a Noveske light stainless barrel. They have a reputation as some of the best out there and the light profile will be easier on the guy totin' it all day.

djmorris
04-07-13, 08:13
Go with 16".

You'd do good with a mid-length 1/7 or 1/8 twist rate. CHF or Melonite would be my choice.

SteveS
04-12-13, 16:21
16inch and a 1 in 7 barrel.

hawkins990
04-12-13, 16:34
I went with the BCM 14.5 1:7 Mid-length Standard. It came in last night I put it together but had to wait until after work today to shoot it. It was awesome! Major improvement over the bushmaster carbon 15 I had. The weight didn't seem much heavier with aluminum and the Recoil is almost non existent I was so surprised I let out several victory rounds to see how long I could stay on target.:D Follow up shots are much easier. I see now why everyone seems to like a mid-length. I am sold.

Korgs130
04-14-13, 21:50
I love my BCM 14.5" Middy, but if you aren't sure which muzzle device you want or plan on experimenting with different muzzle devices get the 16".

jonconsiglio
04-15-13, 07:57
I prefer 14.5" barrels. While I understand the SOCOM barrels, the extra 8 ounces (correct me if I'm wrong) is a bit much if you're not rocking full auto.

I hunt all the time with my 14.5" BCM standard profile mid length. If it was strictly a hunting rig, or precision rig, I'd do as samuse suggested and get a Noveske light stainless barrel. Those are so accurate and easy to carry all day on foot.