PDA

View Full Version : Good jeans/pants

Bill.D
04-06-13, 19:20
Hey Guys,

I am in the market for 3-5 new pairs of pants or jeans. I originally planed to purchase levi's as I have done in the past, however it has recently come to my attention that they are a bunch of anti-2nd amendment scumbags.

I am looking for rugged pants or jeans that are tough and won't fall apart after a month. My price range is around $80, tops. What do you guys think of Eddie Buer? Are they good to go?

Thanks in advance. Mods, sorry if this is not the appropriate section.

PS: No 5.11 pants, BDUs or other tacticool crap, I don't want to look like a mallninja.

sjc3081
04-06-13, 19:26
$10.00 Faded Glory from Walmart a super value and they don't look like cheap out of style jeans.

Wake27
04-06-13, 19:27
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=124956

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=116999

RalphK.
04-06-13, 19:32
Gap has a great jean selection...

Bill.D
04-06-13, 19:41
$10.00 Faded Glory from Walmart a super value and they don't look like cheap out of style jeans.

I checked walmart and Sam's club but their sizes don't fit me well. I'm tall and thin, so when I wear a 34x34 I look like a kid who is wearing his father's cloths.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=124956

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=116999

Thanks for the links, cabela's looks like they have some good pants.

Gap has a great jean selection...

Does GAP stuff hold up well?

RalphK.
04-06-13, 19:47
If you're doing construction type work then you'll wear em quick but normal wear I'm sure you'll push 2+ years...again depends on your activity in them...if you want long long lasting jeans than my friend you need 19 or 21 oz jeans and you're talking $175 +++...I've got a pair of iron heart 21 oz jeans which I've had for 4+ years and I've barely faded the dark color...LOL

so if you're gonna buy $80 each year spend the $250 and be gtg for years...

Bill.D
04-06-13, 19:57
If you're doing construction type work then you'll wear em quick but normal wear I'm sure you'll push 2+ years...again depends on your activity in them...if you want long long lasting jeans than my friend you need 19 or 21 oz jeans and you're talking $175 +++...I've got a pair of iron heart 21 oz jeans which I've had for 4+ years and I've barely faded the dark color...LOL

so if you're gonna buy $80 each year spend the $250 and be gtg for years...

I just checked the Iron Heart site, $400 for jeans, Marone!

I'm sure they'll outlive me, but I suppose I'll just go with the $60-$80 range and replace them as necessary. The GAPs look pretty good and they also seem to be having a sale. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

sjc
04-06-13, 20:02
Hi:
As you can see I don't post much. I rather read and learn from the posts. Well, I decided to enter into this subject. I have been through all the makers of jeans over the years and have two brands of jeans that I purchase. I put my jeans through a lot of wear and tear because I am in the woods almost everyday getting my firewood and clearing land.
I have found that the jeans from these two companies [/URL] [URL="http://www.pointerjeans.com"] (http://www.baileysonline.com)are long wearing and priced fairly. What is great is that jeans from either company are made in the USA. Baileys is a logging equipment supplier and their own brand of jeans, Wild Ass, can be purchased with a single knee or double. Pointer jeans are made in Bristol, Tenn. and they also make overalls. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.
www.baileysonline.com (http://www.baileysonline.com)
http://www.pointerbrand.com

obucina
04-06-13, 20:14
I wear American Eagle, they have a buttload of cuts, are usually on sale, and the loops are big enough to weasel the Cobra buckle of my Ares belt through. If you can tolerate the suburban chic clerks in the store, there is an AE at every mall.

I have a few pairs of GAP jeans, also....they work fine for me, ive been wearing them and AE jeans since high school.

On a side note, both selections are beneficial to being the "gray man", I like blending in.

AKDoug
04-06-13, 20:40
Duluth Trading Firehose pants. I am Hell on pants and I can even destroy these pants, but they outlast Carhartts by a long shot. They have a "no bull" warranty too.

BTW, (from the post above) Bailey's Wild Ass jeans are made in Madagascar.

Suwannee Tim
04-06-13, 20:42

Negative. Faded Glory, Wrangler and all the other cheap brands are made from short staple cotton which has poor wear resistance. The cotton fibers, individually called a staple is separated by length during ginning. Long fibers sell for more money per pound. The quality brands use long staple cotton which wears much longer. I have several pair of Faded Glory shorts bought at a yard sale which are to one degree or another in failure mode, typically be a hole developing above the muzzle of my revolver so that the front sight peeks out. As the failure develops you can see the ends of fibers protruding from the fabric. I have one pair of Carrhart shorts that has outlasted them all. Several years ago I had switched over to Carrharts but for convenience purchased a couple of pair of Faded Glory jeans. They just wear out twice as fast, three times faster, four times faster, I don't have a number, faster. You don't always get what you pay for but you always pay for what you get. Never truer than with blue jeans. If you are not hard on clothes as I am, YMMV.

Duluth Trading Firehose pants. I am Hell on pants and I can even destroy these pants, but they outlast Carhartts by a long shot. They have a "no bull" warranty too......

I have considered the Firehose pants several times but have been daunted by the price, fully twice the price of Carhartt. Hard to imagine they can last twice as long as Carhartts. I might get a pair to try out.

sjc
04-06-13, 20:58
Duluth Trading Firehose pants. I am Hell on pants and I can even destroy these pants, but they outlast Carhartts by a long shot. They have a "no bull" warranty too.

BTW, (from the post above) Bailey's Wild Ass jeans are made in Madagascar.

Hi:
The Baileys' Wild Ass used to be made in Madagascar but are now made in the USA, again. At least that is what they state on their website and that is what is on the label on the pair that I have on.
When they started making them overseas is when I found out about Pointer Jeans and started buying them.
From the Baileys' website:
"Several years ago, our Wild Ass logger pants were made right here in the good 'ol USA. Unfortunately, like many things, the manufacturers and mills that produced these jeans began to move offshore, and as much as we wanted to continue to offer US-made pants, we were forced to follow suit. We're now happy to report that after many hard-earned lessons and a lot of work, we have brought our Wild Ass pants back to the United States of America. There have been some changes, but our #1 goal was to bring our customers the best US-made logger pant that we could, for the most economical price possible. We think we've accomplished that goal. These jeans are sewn in the US from high-quality denim fabric that is manufactured in the US. You'll notice some differences between these new jeans and Wild Ass pants of the past. The most noticeable difference is that we have brought back the original, bright red, WILD ASS "Henry" patch on the back pocket.
Over the last few years, we heard many customers say loud and clear, "Bring back the original WILD ASS patch!" We hope that you're as happy as we are at the return of this classic feature."

AKDoug
04-07-13, 03:04
That's good to know. The last FAQ on Bailey's I read said that they weren't U.S. made. Reading further you will find they are made in USA with prison labor by Prison Blues. Not what I'd like to see for clothing, but better than made in Mexico or China.

As far as Firehose being priced more than Carhartts. I pay about $50 for Carhartts and double front Firehose are $64.50. I can't get the crotch stitching to last in Carhartts. Duluth's are far superior in the crotch area. Like I said in one of my earlier posts about Firehose pants, I have a few pairs ready to be sent back to Duluth for bad fabric. If they honor their warranty like they say they will, that will make them better than Carhartts too. Carhartt doesn't take pants back.

I'm really interested in those Pointer pants. I'd love to get real made in USA pants.

T2C
04-07-13, 06:23
.......I originally planed to purchase levi's as I have done in the past, however it has recently come to my attention that they are a bunch of anti-2nd amendment scumbags......

I did not know this. I have been wearing Levi's for over 45 years. Any links to Levi's anti-American activities would appreciated. I will share this with other NRA instructors and students.

Suwannee Tim
04-07-13, 06:47
....... I can't get the crotch stitching to last in Carhartts. Duluth's are far superior in the crotch area......

The prices I see on the internet are $30-$40 for Carhartt. I don't have a problem busting the crotch like you Doug. If you are going to have a problem I guess that's a good one to have. Maybe you should write Carhartt a letter requesting they make a version with an extra strong crotch.:D That or wear a kilt.:D:D

Suwannee Tim
04-07-13, 06:56
I did not know this. I have been wearing Levi's for over 45 years. Any links to Levi's anti-American activities would appreciated. I will share this with other NRA instructors and students.

In a quick search I couldn't find good information about Levi Strauss the corporation and political activities. However, I did do a search on Open Secrets and came up with this. (http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/search.php?name=&state=&zip=&employ=levi+strauss&cand=&c2012=Y&sort=A&capcode=86396&submit=Submit+your+Donor+Query) Individuals employed by Levi Strauss, every single donation in that search went to a Democrat or a leftist organization.

whick1
04-07-13, 07:14
my favorite jeans are Gap. They are comfortable and hold up really well. Last pair I bought was back around Christmas and they were $29.99. I find them more comfortable than Levis and are much cheaper than many others

luvmy40
04-07-13, 07:17
Levi's are mostly made overseas now. They may have a line of American made jeans but I haven't seen them.

Has anyone tried the 1791 jeans (http://1791.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=50107_58585&pc=BXAM164) that GB is marketing? Beck claims that they are made from fabric made on the original Levi's looms and made in the same factory that original produced Levi's.

At $129.00/pair I haven't had the guts to try them yet.

SMETNA
04-07-13, 08:09
Blue Diamond Gusset

sjc
04-07-13, 08:54
Hi:
From AKDoug:
"That's good to know. The last FAQ on Bailey's I read said that they weren't U.S. made. Reading further you will find they are made in USA with prison labor by Prison Blues. Not what I'd like to see for clothing, but better than made in Mexico or China."
I agree. It would be nice if they were made by textile workers and it is better than sending our money to China. Look at it this way; if we purchase Baileys' Wild Ass jeans we may training a future small business owner. Lets say some prisoner is making these jeans. He serves his time. Is released and then starts his own small business producing jeans. I can see the brand now. Big Bubba Jeans or Lifetime Jeans for the Lifer.

jknopp44
04-07-13, 09:11
American Eagle and Gap are both good to go. Stylish and quite durable.

PortDawg
04-07-13, 09:59
After wearing all different brands, I was tired of fit inconsistancies and binding. I found Diamond Gusset, made in USA. Awesome. I bought 1 pair to try them out, then ended up ordering 5 more. Best jeans I have ever owned. I get the relaxed fit, and they work well with CC. Belt loops handle 1.75" riggers belts.

Wake27
04-07-13, 11:25
My vote goes to Vertx since you said pants or jeans. I can't comment on their durability, but I love mine and just ordered more.

skatz11
04-07-13, 11:44
I'm a firm believer in spending money on quality clothing. Usually when you pay $80 and up for jeans you are getting much more than a designer name. I've found that jeans from Guess, BKE, and Express tend to fit better and last longer than ones in the $30-$50 range. They also are more consistent in size, and fit. Shop around and find the brand and cut/style that fits you the best.

As others have mentioned, GAP has good balance of value and quality, but there sizing consistency varies. Make sure you try them all on once you find the right pair and size.

MountainRaven
04-07-13, 12:34
I've been wearing Carhartt's jeans for years. No complaints. I have bought four pair. All are still serviceable and the only reason I really bought two of those pairs was because I lost a bunch of weight after I bought the first two.

Of course, I don't think there's anybody else who offers 36" inseams with 34" waists, either.

kmrtnsn
04-07-13, 12:53
I used to wear Carhart carpenter pants years ago, the brand has come a long way in 40 years and they have a much better, more extensive product line.

For the past couple of years I have worn Vertx pants on the range. I prefer the heavier, canvas pants to the lightweight ripstop. I like the hidden cargo pockets, the security zip pockets, and the gusseted crotch. They are very easy to move around in.

If you are looking for a less "tacti-cool" pair of pants for general wear I'd look at the Columbia ROC pants and the rest of their product line. Very comfortable, long wearing pants that go easily from office to outdoors.

RV4021
04-07-13, 13:54
I will give another vote for the Vertx pants. I only own two of pair of casual jeans currently. The new styles of jeans out now do not work for me. I have been wearing Mountain Hardwear and Kuhl pants for the last year or so. Their light weight and gusseted crouch were the game changer for me. Hope this helps.

Robert

AKDoug
04-07-13, 14:03
I've been wearing Carhartt's jeans for years. No complaints. I have bought four pair. All are still serviceable and the only reason I really bought two of those pairs was because I lost a bunch of weight after I bought the first two.

Of course, I don't think there's anybody else who offers 36" inseams with 34" waists, either. Looks like Diamon Gusset does :D That diamond patch in the crotch is what separates Duluths from Carhartts for me. Now that I see there is an American made option, I'm going to spring for a pair from Diamond Gusset.

dfranklinjr
04-07-13, 14:07
Hi:
As you can see I don't post much. I rather read and learn from the posts. Well, I decided to enter into this subject. I have been through all the makers of jeans over the years and have two brands of jeans that I purchase. I put my jeans through a lot of wear and tear because I am in the woods almost everyday getting my firewood and clearing land.
I have found that the jeans from these two companies [/URL] [URL="http://www.pointerjeans.com"] (http://www.baileysonline.com)are long wearing and priced fairly. What is great is that jeans from either company are made in the USA. Baileys is a logging equipment supplier and their own brand of jeans, Wild Ass, can be purchased with a single knee or double. Pointer jeans are made in Bristol, Tenn. and they also make overalls. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.
www.baileysonline.com (http://www.baileysonline.com)
http://www.pointerbrand.com

Thank you, SJC, for posting this. I just ordered a pair of each. It's not that hard to discern country of origin, so why more guys don't BUY AMERICAN escapes me. I'm glad to have kept my clothing budget here. Thanks again.

Ready.Fire.Aim
04-07-13, 14:48
After wearing all different brands, I was tired of fit inconsistancies and binding. I found Diamond Gusset, made in USA. Awesome. I bought 1 pair to try them out, then ended up ordering 5 more. Best jeans I have ever owned. I get the relaxed fit, and they work well with CC. Belt loops handle 1.75" riggers belts.

This. Diamond Gusset are Made in America in TN. Very comfortable. I have been wearing for 2 years.

You will never go back to Levi or Wrangler.

I wear Carhart overalls and jackets to work in.

Have fun
RFA

sjc
04-07-13, 15:47
Thank you, SJC, for posting this. I just ordered a pair of each. It's not that hard to discern country of origin, so why more guys don't BUY AMERICAN escapes me. I'm glad to have kept my clothing budget here. Thanks again.

Hi:
I agree. Keep the money in the USA. If one looks around they can purchase all of their clothing wearing a "Made in USA" label. I can't understand why people swear by the Chinese made footwear. I hear people saying "look at the great boot they got for $75.00". Six months later when the boots fall apart they go out and buy another $75.00 pair that also fall apart after six months. For work boots you can't beat WESCO or Nick's Boots. Hoffman's are also pretty good. For causal wear Russell's are great. Yeah, these four brands are expensive but are worth it. I have one pair WESCO's that are going on eight years. I did have them rebuilt about three years ago. I wear this pair a lot when I'm dropping trees. The rebuild was probably done because I was tired of looking at all of the encounters they had with my chainsaws.:rolleyes: Sent them back to WESCO and they came back like new. Try having Chinese footwear rebuilt. I have a pair of Russell double vamps that are probably 20 years old. I used to wear these all the time when grouse hunting. Don't let the leather dry out and any of these boots seem to last forever.

ohiorifleman
04-07-13, 19:26
Look no further than Duluth Trading for Jeans and Work Pants

awm14hp
04-07-13, 19:42
I have worn the Carhart Duck work pants for a few years heavy duty and well made. I tried some Wrangler ripstop rangers and I love them little thinner breath better. Not sure on long time use only had them a month now.

bubba04
04-07-13, 20:57
How do the diamond gusset's fit? Do they run small or large?

thanks.

RalphK.
04-07-13, 21:05
Why more of us don't buy American???...cause maybe some American companies have shitty marketing...this is the first I'm hearing of this Diamond Gusset. I've been wearing jeans for a long time and I've heard of Japanese boutique jeans b4 but nothing here...

PortDawg
04-07-13, 22:09
How do the diamond gusset's fit? Do they run small or large?

thanks.

Per their website, take your most comfortable, best fitting pants and lay them flat. Measure across top. Multiply this number by 2, and you have your waist size. What they then do, is hand measure pre shrunk jeans, till they find one with the exact measurement you sent them. That means that the waist size on the label might be different then what you ordered. They send you the actual size. Perfect.

AKDoug
04-07-13, 22:53
Per their website, take your most comfortable, best fitting pants and lay them flat. Measure across top. Multiply this number by 2, and you have your waist size. What they then do, is hand measure pre shrunk jeans, till they find one with the exact measurement you sent them. That means that the waist size on the label might be different then what you ordered. They send you the actual size. Perfect.

No shit? Now that makes them more even worth the price.

sjc3081
04-07-13, 22:59
I won't buy Carhart because they are made in Dearbornastan.

CyberM4
04-08-13, 10:14
I have two pair of All American Clothing Jeans. Been wearing them for close too 3 years. Size the same as Wrangler Jeans. I bought 1 tee shirt from them XL fits well. Their tank tops are snug fitting even in XL. I also have wrangler in Cinch Jeans. The later 2 made in Mexico. I just ordered 2 pair of Jeans from All American Clothing. They have a 15% off on some jeans and free shipping when you spend $99.

markm
04-08-13, 10:48
Any jeans are fine. Just don't forget to wear flip flops too. :rolleyes:

Turnkey11
04-09-13, 17:25
I buy Nautical Jeans at the PX whenever I'm in town; every other kind of affordable Jean pinches my nuts.

tony413
04-18-13, 23:19
im fond of Levi 559 and 569 they run $40 at JC pennys and Kohls usually has deals for $30

Norsemen
04-20-13, 15:05
Try Arborwear's original tree climbers pants made from 12.5 oz canvas. These are the toughest I have found thus far. About $60

patriot_man
04-21-13, 02:03
I have mostly replaced most of my everyday wear jeans with Mountain Khaki Original Mountain pants in their slimmer Broadway fit. Durable and well stitched and no rivets. DEEP pockets and gusseted crotch. They also look pretty good.

Shokr21
04-21-13, 09:30
How do arborwear's and mountain khaki's size? run pretty true to something like dockers or more like jeans?

Norsemen
04-21-13, 14:44
From my experience the Arborwear seem to run true, the hitch is that they ride higher than my blue jeans and in my case that means they fit tighter. Unless you're still a slim, fit young stud, you may want to get one size larger at first.

J-Dub
04-21-13, 15:15
Carhartt

Wolf Spyder
04-21-13, 19:07
Duluth Trading

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-pants/work-pants-for-men/92204.aspx

Try them. They have a No BS, Money Back Guarantee.

STONE-YARDER
04-21-13, 23:40
These: http://www.wrangler.com/store/WRG_STORE_US/en_US/style/pg101t.html#categoryId=17687

I work construction and also wear them on my land when I am using the chainsaw. Toughest and most comfortable work pants I have ever owned. I bought mine at Cabelas, $42 a pair. I wish I had found these 20 years ago. I prefer the dark brown ones...

Goldorak
04-23-13, 09:43
Diamond Gusset jeans. Are wife-approved ="they make your butt look good!"

American made, good product, good customer service, have sales pretty often.

markm
04-23-13, 09:58
Post number 1 on an AR forum and this cat is talking about jeans and man butt? :confused:

Goldorak
04-23-13, 10:17
That would be the highest grade of endorsement for Diamond Gusset. :D

Dave James
04-23-13, 12:35
Duluth say imported, any one know from where??

millerlite
04-24-13, 06:37
Kuhl are pretty good pants.

The_War_Wagon
04-24-13, 07:06
I just picked up a pair of Carhart and Gander Mountain's house brand a couple of weeks ago, and as a REGULAR-sized guy (unlike all you skinny, off-the-rack, sorts :p ), I'm impressed with the fit of both. Went camping in 'em right away - no time to wash 'em first - and had a GREAT weekend!

My first time trying either brand, and for around $33 ea., I figure it a decent value over Casual Male or any other chain of stores that cater to us REGULAR-sized guys. :cool:

orionz06
04-24-13, 12:34
7 for all mankind or Diesel, Express for a little cheaper options. Since losing some weight and still shrinking I'm wearing Express only until I can settle in and get the right size.

patriot_man
04-26-13, 07:55
How do arborwear's and mountain khaki's size? run pretty true to something like dockers or more like jeans?

Mountain Khakis are true to size

Shokr21
04-26-13, 08:51
Mountain Khakis are true to size

Thanks. I ended up ordering some arborwear pants, trying to find decent pants without a whole mess of pockets on them is almost impossible. I don't need cargo pockets on every pair of pants I own!

TheJRK
04-26-13, 10:01
TAD Covert RS Pant.

Made in America.

Enough pockets to carry stuff but you don't look like Boston SWAT raiding people's homes.

AKDoug
04-26-13, 12:20
Duluth are imported. The first pairs I owned were Indonesia I believe. Now they are China. I will say they honored their warranty on the pants and I have several new pairs on the way. However, if this batch is also made in China I will be switching brands.

Stubby
04-26-13, 13:28
Wrangler cowboy cut, that's all I have besides some torn up cheapos for working in the garage

Shokr21
04-26-13, 15:41
Just got the arborwear estimator pants in.

Waist is true to size, inseam is a little long I feel, maybe an inch or so, I'm going to have to get them hemmed but not a big deal if you wear boots all day every day. The reason I'll have to get them hemmed is they look good enough for business casual. Which will be my primary use for these.