PDA

View Full Version : Need a new single stage press

Nick710
04-07-13, 11:42
I've been hand loading for over 30 years and for the last 20 or so, I've done it all on a RCBS Big Max press (and a Dillon 550)

I've been looking for a smaller press, preferably cast iron (as opposed to aluminium) mainly to resize, in quantity, 9mm, 40 and .223.

The Big Max is a fine press, but a little big for what I want and I'm not a fan of the approach angle.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

steyrman13
04-07-13, 12:00
I would say the RCBS Rock Chucker or possibly the partner press

bigwagon
04-07-13, 12:03
Ever tried a Forster Co-Ax? I've found that no single stage is easier to rapidly resize cases in thanks to the design of the shellholder jaws that automatically open and close as the press is stroked.

arizona98tj
04-07-13, 14:24
I bought a new RCBS Rockchucker press back in the '70s and it is still mounted to my reloading bench. While I use a Dillon 650 for volume reloading, that green press still handles my precision rifle cartridges and any other low volume reloading tasks for handgun.

You can't kill it, that is for sure. :)

Ready.Fire.Aim
04-07-13, 14:32
I bought a new RCBS Rockchucker press back in the '70s and it is still mounted to my reloading bench. While I use a Dillon 650 for volume reloading, that green press still handles my precision rifle cartridges and any other low volume reloading tasks for handgun.

You can't kill it, that is for sure. :)

You and I have the exact setup. Dillon 650 for volume 9mm for the submachine guns, RCBS single stage always setup for everything else. I just sized a hundred .300Blackout to load tonight.

Maybe one day I will get a Forster Co-Ax. Forster claims you can resize with just your little finger pulling the handle.

http://forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=24822

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/Aggie84/ec44ee881852ab6f27133c2a07c88ecd_zpsd4587d05.jpg

Have fun
RFA

Colt guy
04-07-13, 20:55
I own several single stag presses, Pacific, RCBS partner, and the Rock chucker and I prefer the Rock Chucker. It has the leverage to size the larger bottle neck cases that the partner
would have problems with. Its made of cast iron not aluminum so you won't be able to wear it out in your life time. The Pacific is now Hornady and uses die bushings which I do not
care for.

Stumpnav
04-07-13, 21:23
Another vote for the Rockchucker. I have two 550s and two RCs mounted on the bench. One 550 stays large primer and the other stays small primer.

When I run 'precision' loads for various rifles I keep the sizer in one RC and the seater in the other.

markm
04-08-13, 08:47
Damn.. I must have one of those Co-Ax now. :)

kry226
04-08-13, 10:06
Damn.. I must have one of those Co-Ax now. :)

Roger that.

txbonds
04-08-13, 11:39
I was looking at the co-ax for a single option to pair with my 550, but read that it couldn't be used to pull bullets. Not sure why, but that was one of the functions I wanted to use a single press for so I ended up pairing down to the Redding Big Boss II and the Lee Classic Cast. I ended up ordering one of the Lee's because it was cheaper and seemed to be a toss a coin situation.

Anyway, if the Lee Classic Cast interests you, this place has them in stock still, which right now seems to be a deciding factor all it's own: https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-classic-cast-press-90998.html

I ordered last Tuesday, they shipped Thursday and I should get tomorrow according to tracking. That said, the Redding is still calling my name and the Forster is taunting me too. LOL :D

markm
04-08-13, 11:49
I was looking at the co-ax for a single option to pair with my 550, but read that it couldn't be used to pull bullets. Not sure why, but that was one of the functions I wanted to use a single press for

Interesting... yeah... I pull a LOT of bullets. By the way, the Forster Collet bullet pulling die is a nice tool. Doesn't smash or mark the bullets at all unless you don't tighten it enough and the bullet slips.

aguila327
04-08-13, 13:04
I had a similar issue with an old RCBS A-4. The shell holder was the supposed weak link. That wss a sweet setup. Nothing faster, but one of the claws finally stopped camming and RCBS couldn't replace it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2