PDA

View Full Version : First AR Build

c713
04-07-13, 21:42
This is my first AR build, I could probably have picked a better time to start it, but I got the lower for free from a friend who managed to somehow get the pistol grip screw stuck in the lower receiver, then decided that it was a better idea to try and chop off the screw with a dremel and cut a new slot, rather than take it to a gunsmith :facepalm:.
Anyway, I am still relatively young, but I had one previous AR that I ended up selling to my dad, and I'm an active duty Marine, so I feel like I have a decent amount of personal experience with the system. Plus, I tend to read more and talk less, and I've been reading this site for a few years now, and I have definitely tried to take some of the advice on this site to heart.
Well, I guess I should get to the build, huh? The lower receiver is a Stag Arms, that I have added a Magpul UBR stock, a BCM heavy buffer and carbine recoil spring. Added a Knight's ambi safety selector, an ALG ACT trigger. Decided to give the BCM Gunfighter pistol grip a try, though I usually like the Magpul grips. I rounded the lower out with a MOE trigger gaurd and a lower parts kit from Stag.
For the upper, I got a Vltor MUR-1A, a DD LW 16" Barrel and BCG Combo, and a BCM Mod 4 (large latch) Gunfighter CH. I went with the Geissele SMR Mk1 in the 10" length for the handgaurd. I decided to stick with an A2 flash hider for now, as I do lack personal experience in this area, and these work for me.
I added the new diopter sights from Centurion, as I was looking for a set of fixed rail mounted sights and I wanted to try something different, and I've heard a lot of good things about the diopters. I also added a BAD lever from Magpul, with the understanding that even though the idea of simplifying the manual of arms on my rifle is a good one, if it affected the basic functioning of the rifle at all, it was coming off.
This is my home defense rifle so I considered a white light a necessity, so I got the WML from Inforce. I also have learned the hard way that slings are an absolute necessity, so I got the Magpul MS3 with the QD swivel. I use a 2 point most of the time on my issue rifle, but that thing is constantly in the way when doing MOUT, so I wanted the ability to convert the sling from a 2 point to a single point configuration.
I got it out today, and put 300 flawless rounds through it. After sighting it in, which went kinda slow, I then shot the USMC Table 2 fo the rifle qual to try and run it a little bit harder, I didn't have any actual targets, so I couldn't see exactly how I was doing, but I chewed the crap out of the logs I was using as targets. I then did a couple of much higher intensity drills, that incorporate a lot of fast shooting, running, shooting on the move, and transitions (and a couple of mag dumps just for fun :)). I finished the day out with a short walk through the woods that we were shooting in, shooting at various things at unknown ranges, just to get an idea of how it points and handles.
Overall, I'm really impressed with this rifle. It may not be the lightest build on the block, but it has almost no recoil, and I know that it's going to be a winner once my abilities are able to match up with the weapon's.
I'm going to eventually get a red dot for this rifle, but I'm kinda split currently between an Aimpoint Micro and the Trijicon SRS, and I think for now my money might be better spent on ammo to shoot the snot out of it, and hopefully a training class or 2. I've also got a Redi-Mag that I got from a friend that I'm eventually going to experiment with, but for now I'm really enjoying the basic cleanness of this rifle and I just want to get used to it, before I start experimenting too much.

wetidlerjr
04-08-13, 03:39
I like it!

polymorpheous
04-08-13, 05:12
Looks like you've thought out this build well.

I'm curious though.
How did you un**** the lower?

c713
04-08-13, 06:44
Looks like you've thought out this build well.

I'm curious though.
How did you un**** the lower?

I took it to one of our armorers and when we looked at it, the screw was too long, and it had cut its own new threads and gallled itself up there. With a little application of heat from a very carefully applied blow torch, we were able to use the slot that had already been cut to pull it out.