PDA

View Full Version : Kel-tec PLR 16 opinions?

checkmyswag
04-08-13, 17:40
I'm looking for a backup that uses AR mags. I'm looking at this, the full size Kel-tec SU 16 and the Mossberg MVP patrol. Opinions?

WTDeBerry
04-08-13, 17:59
A back-up to what? An AR? More specifics in regards to what you are needing would probably get more answers from people on this site whom are very knowledgeable. IMHO, if you are needing a back up to an AR (I assume this because you say this back-up needs to take AR mags) why not just get another one? Two is one, one is none. I am no expert. I don't post much (I learn all I need buy reading and listening to others) but this intrigued me for some reason. Do a lot more reading and a lot less posting and you will get far on this forum. Just some friendly advice.

Traveshamockery
04-08-13, 18:08
Obvious answer: another AR.

If you're looking for some variety, try an FS2000 or SCAR.

checkmyswag
04-08-13, 18:18
Looking for a low cost alternative. Not another AR.

Traveshamockery
04-08-13, 18:23
Looking for a low cost alternative. Not another AR.

Meh, I'm the wrong guy to ask then. Considering a good AR like the Colt 6900 or the Smith & Wesson Sport can be had for $900 or less, I can't understand spending $500 or $600 on something inferior.

Maybe just buy an extra bolt carrier group and a backup lower parts kit for your current AR.

checkmyswag
04-08-13, 18:25
Ha, well I'm with you on quality ARs anyways. Perhaps that is the move, to save a few hundred more. That's no fun though.

WTDeBerry
04-08-13, 18:33
Is it a defensive tool or a range toy? If it is strictly for range and plinking then I wouldn't see the problem, but if ever you were to need it in a defensive situation, I would personally feel very uncomfortable depending on something that has a higher probability to malfunction to save my life or the lives of loved ones. Again, give specifics. Why do you need it? Where and how you are you going to use it?

checkmyswag
04-08-13, 18:57
Just asking a general question. If you don't want to respond, that's fine. Sounds like you're skeptical of keltec quality.

thei3ug
04-08-13, 19:05
there have been quality issues on every product KelTec puts out. The general response is that they have great quality service... which doesn't count for much when your life is on the line.

The PLR is in no way an alternative to a rifle. it is also in no way an alternative to a pistol. If you ever get a chance to handle an AR pistol, you'd get a good idea of what I mean.