PDA

View Full Version : And the hits just keep on coming.

kwelz
04-08-13, 19:06
Honestly. I would love to use a lot of fancy words and all that shit. But I just don't have it in my tonight. So instead I just leave you with photos....

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-lyKXU-OWBbo/UWNaSojcliI/AAAAAAAAA8w/sS1TQFbQkYw/s960/374391_10151591817152209_27394626_n.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-yFeG4FcEFQQ/UWNaMVyjBnI/AAAAAAAAA74/QKECrdUoEnY/s1280/DSCN0168.JPG

Somewhere in here is the remains of an HK P30
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0EDOk6d_Lpg/UWNaOkRKFKI/AAAAAAAAA8Q/WWpm-xeL57I/s1280/DSCN0171.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Vvo7zOT5Ydw/UWNaPjAm6lI/AAAAAAAAA8Y/t9FNvUmBdjM/s1280/DSCN0172.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DVjmH5te1Ps/UWNaQTAxhRI/AAAAAAAAA8g/Z9M8NGLqzaw/s1280/DSCN0173.JPG

Ryno12
04-08-13, 19:12
Bummer dude! I assume you have insurance...

NoveskeFan
04-08-13, 19:14
:eek: What happened?

Pork Chop
04-08-13, 19:16
No one was hurt, you can get more "stuff".

Really, take it as it comes man, we can always get more stuff. Chin up.

jaxman7
04-08-13, 19:32
Dang kwelz,

I am very sorry to see that man. Almost as sad to hear about the P30 as much as the car. My guns are very personal to me.

I hate to say the usual 'hang in there pal' but seriously please do. Stay on M4C. I bet you are fixing to get inundated with PMs showing support & offering help. Trust me it helps a ton.

-Jax

El Pistolero
04-08-13, 20:17
I'm glad it didn't spread to your house. Hopefully nobody was hurt.

kwelz
04-08-13, 20:19
Yeah I have insurance. But you know how that goes..

It has been just over a year since the tornadoes came through and trashed the town and my house. Now this.

After things cooled down I took a closer look. It is worse than the pictures show. The fire got hot enough that the engine block melted. I know it was just aluminum but still. What the ****!!

The lady from the insurance company said they are going to want to do an inspection to see what started it. I laughed till I almost cried at that. There isn't anything left under the hood to inspect except the frame and engine headcover.

jwfuhrman
04-08-13, 20:23
Not trying to be a smart ass, but..... I think I see your P30....

El Pistolero
04-08-13, 20:25
Aluminum melts around 1100 degrees, it ain't much. I responded to a fire in a base housing unit once and the aluminum window frames were completely melted away, giving the impression that the fire was hotter than it really was, just like in your pics.

FlyingHunter
04-08-13, 20:29
Good Lord man - glad you are OK. Prayers out to you for a turn in your luck. Hang in there!

morbidbattlecry
04-08-13, 20:44
Sorry about your car bro.

djegators
04-08-13, 20:48
Rough luck! All the best on your recovery, and luck with the slimy insurance people.

Sensei
04-08-13, 21:02
That should buff right out...

I'm glad your house was unaffected.

SeriousStudent
04-08-13, 21:04
Dang, I am very sorry to hear about that. I hope no one was injured.

Just making a tiny joke in the face of adversity, but imagine if they paid replacement cost for your firearms, given the current market....

militarymoron
04-08-13, 21:05
man, that sucks. sorry to see that and hope it all turns out well.

sammage
04-08-13, 21:15
Damn kwelz, glad it wasn't in the garage.

ryan
04-08-13, 21:20
I'm sorry Kwelz, let me know if I can help somehow.

Car looks like an Infintiy?

Please keep us abreast of their findings.

I'm glad it didn't catch the house.

Mjolnir
04-08-13, 21:27
Relatively speaking, to Hades with the P30... your house is still standing.

You're blessed in that regard.

That said, sorry you lost your vehicle and its contents.

fixit69
04-08-13, 21:36
Oh shit!

You (and all involved) ok? That's the major part. Cars, parts, firearms can be bought. Life cannot.

Glad all is ok, and will pray.

All what I said is all good and well, but I know exactly how you feel. It still sucks. Hope insurance is at least fair but,yes, I know how that game goes.

Better luck to you.

rushca01
04-08-13, 21:47
Sorry about your loss! My prayers are with you.

You know it's funny, I work in the insurance industry and represent over 40 insurance carriers (focus is commercial insurance but I do personal insurance as favors for friends etc..) and buying insurance is a lot like buying guns...you get what you pay for and some are better than others when it comes to paying claims.

TriviaMonster
04-08-13, 21:51
Car not being in garage = WIN

Glad to know you are okay. That's a rough deal. Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

HES
04-08-13, 22:18
Oh hell. I'm sorry for you. I really am. I am glad that you and yours weren't hurt.

Moose-Knuckle
04-09-13, 03:09
Car not being in garage = WIN

That's what I was thinking. I have an uncle who became a building inspector after he got out of the USACE. He never understood why attached garages are allowed.

SteyrAUG
04-09-13, 03:14
Not that any of my suppliers actually have anything in stock beyond cleaning kits and hunting DVDs, but if and when they do get resupplied I'll help you replace that P30 "at cost."

By then you might even have your insurance settlement check.

:D

SMETNA
04-09-13, 03:28
That's what I was thinking. I have an uncle who became a building inspector after he got out of the USACE. He never understood why attached garages are allowed.

Agreed. But really, how often do modern cars spontaneously ignite?

Sorry about your luck Kevin. You're being tested, it seems. Pass that shit with your finger in the air

Moose-Knuckle
04-09-13, 03:32
Agreed. But really, how often do modern cars spontaneously ignite?

Not sure of the stats (maybe some FD guys can chime in) but when you have high temp engines, flammable fluids, and an electrical system at close proximity in a confined space . . .

chuckman
04-09-13, 04:28
You know you wanna new hoopty. Call it good timing.

Seriously, glad you are OK. That's why you have insurance.

kwelz
04-09-13, 06:35
You know you wanna new hoopty. Call it good timing.

Seriously, glad you are OK. That's why you have insurance.

Hah. I wish. It was almost paid off and I won't get enough to get a decent car.

My house was damaged although not terribly. I will need a whole new front to the garage.

I am really lucky. I had pulled out of the garage to go to the store and get gas. Figured I should get gas for the Lawn mower while I was at it. Went into the garage and grabbed the can. When I got back into the car I smelled the smoke. The rest is in the photos...

Larry Vickers
04-09-13, 06:38
Dude I'm sorry about your loss

Maybe this will help - you got a complimentary 2 day class of your choice when you get things back on track

Hang in there bro

jaxman7
04-09-13, 06:53

Maybe this will help - you got a complimentary 2 day class of your choice when you get things back on track

Hang in there bro

Lightning my truck on fire as we speak...........

;)

Seriously though that's awesome Larry.

-Jax

Alex V
04-09-13, 06:56
Attached garages are allowed because they are supposed to be separated from the rest of the house with a 1hour rated assemblies, including walls and ceilings. The door usualy has to be 1/2 or 1/3 hour rated. In one hour, one hope's to god that the home's occupants have evacuated and the fire department has arrived.

Believe it or not, as tested by UL a partition made of 2x4 wood stud with a layer of 5/8" type-x gypsum board on each side will hold back a fire for 1 hour.

Hang in there bro

That should brighten up your day for sure!

chuckman
04-09-13, 06:59

Hang in there bro

That's stand up right there.

ReaperAZ
04-09-13, 07:15
Man, glad no one was injured or worse. As has been said, the car and gun can be replaced even though I'm sure you are hurting.

kwelz
04-09-13, 09:00
Here is the front of my house. Car was about 10 feet away..

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-IfBNIASFBhs/UWQb3rjwpKI/AAAAAAAAA9A/qVBVHTEluuI/s1280/20130408_175636.jpg

A number of people keep asking for more detail. LOL

I had gotten home from work and needed to run back out. I pulled my car out of the garage and stopped because I needed the gas can for the lawn mower. I ran into the garage and then back to the car.

I thought I smelled smoke so poped the hood open and jumped out. When I opened the hood I saw some smoke and a small flame.

At this point my brain went sideways. I ran into the house to get something to put it out. By the time I got back out (30-45 seconds) the entire engine compartment was on fire. Within a couple minutes the car was engulfed. The first photo in the OP was about 5 minutes into it I think. But my wife took that one so I am not sure.

The insurance company keeps making the comment "If the car is a total loss" And I laugh every time they do.

I am still putting together a list of what all is gone.

The car of course. My P30 and at least 1 extra Mag. (We hear the rounds cook off) A couple Surefire Flashlights. My Work Laptop and tablet. Lots of paperwork. I tried going though the car this morning but everything is melted into a lump in the bottom.
I did grab my rifle out of the trunk thankfully.

It sucks to be sure. But neither myself or my wife were hurt. She spent most of the night crying. But the emotional hurt will fade.

Hang in there bro

I am honestly speechless right now. Thank you Mr. Vickers. I have only attended one of your classes in the past but I look forward to many more in the future.

montanadave
04-09-13, 09:10
Sucks to be sure. Glad no one was injured. And I hope your insurance company does right be you. From what you've explained and shown, it would seem to be a very straightforward claim.

And a very kind gesture, Mr. Vickers. As are the offers of assistance from other members.

Magic_Salad0892
04-09-13, 09:24
Dude. You're insanely lucky your house didn't catch.

Glad you're okay, man.

Also, +1 to Vickers. That's a super stand up thing to do.

ShortytheFirefighter
04-09-13, 09:56
Like the others have said, it really sucks to have this happen but it could have been a lot worse. I was at a garage fire on Saturday night that was an example of the "worse" side of it.

http://twincitiesfirewire.com/2013/04/06/flames-leap-from-roof-of-brooklyn-park-home/

Looks like the department made a pretty quick stop on the fire, once siding gets to the softening/melting point ignition isn't too far behind. Looks like the wind wasn't in your favor either from the pictures. Glad that you and your family are ok, and that the things you did lose can be replaced.

I'll echo what everyone else has said as well, a truly standup gesture from Mr. Vickers.

brickboy240
04-09-13, 10:34
The loss of the P-30 is tragic.

The car....not so much.

-brickboy240

kwelz
04-09-13, 10:35
The loss of the P-30 is tragic.

The car....not so much.

-brickboy240

Ouch.

I will say I don't think I will ever own another GM car again.

ShortytheFirefighter
04-09-13, 10:41
What year/model was it?

I can do some checking to see if they've had fire related issues in the past.

kry226
04-09-13, 10:44
Looks like a Saturn.

kwelz
04-09-13, 10:45
What year/model was it?

I can do some checking to see if they've had fire related issues in the past.

It was a 2007 Saturn Aura XR.

Sam
04-09-13, 10:52
Sorry about your loss. Glad no one got hurt. Materials can be replaced.

Alex V
04-09-13, 11:40
In the early 90's there was a huge recall on Saturns for engine fires.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/08/11/us/engine-fires-prompt-gm-to-issue-recall-of-80-of-saturns.html

brickboy240
04-09-13, 11:42
No use crying over a Saturn.

The HK....yes...the Saturn...no.

-brickboy240

HES
04-09-13, 11:59
Lightning my truck on fire as we speak...........

;)

Seriously though that's awesome Larry.

-Jax
Okay I don't feel so guilty having the same thoughts. Awesome job Mr. Vickers.

I did grab my rifle out of the trunk thankfully.
This is one of my biggest fears with my business. Everything for work is on my laptop. I really need to make better backups.

kwelz
04-09-13, 12:15
Okay I don't feel so guilty having the same thoughts. Awesome job Mr. Vickers.

This is one of my biggest fears with my business. Everything for work is on my laptop. I really need to make better backups.

Tell me about it. My laptop and my iPad are both melted somewhere inside that mess. Thankfully all my data is backed up though.

gunrunner505
04-09-13, 12:31

Hang in there bro

And the bottomless supply of class that is Mr. Vickers.

That sucks out loud. Glad you were not hurt in that mess. It could have been much worse if that had jumped to your house.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

sadmin
04-09-13, 12:37
Whoa man..just saw this. Sorry about this and im glad no one was injured and your home wasnt badly damaged. Keep your head up, surely good things are on the horizon.

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-09-13, 12:44
Gosh man crazy, how long did it take the fire department to get there? So many other things could have gone bad! Glad you make it to a safe distance, cars sure do burn up fast!

pilotguyo540
04-09-13, 13:17
I am sorry for your loss, and am really glad that you are okay.

Do you live next to angry ranger, by any chance?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOocv7X0t4w

kwelz
04-09-13, 13:17
No use crying over a Saturn.

The HK....yes...the Saturn...no.

-brickboy240

Harsh man. Harsh. :p

I liked that car a lot. Almost 300HP, leather, 18'' wheels, etc.

jaxman7
04-09-13, 13:22
Not to rub salt in the wound kwelz but the later Saturns were quite nice. They were basically European Vauxhalls with a Saturn badge. Saturn got some good reviews on their new line up before GM dropped the make.

-Jax

Icculus
04-09-13, 13:48
Sorry about the loss. Guns and cars are both very personal things and to lose both in one fail swoop is craptastic. Thankful that both body and home are safe though. Good luck with the insurance.

chadbag
04-09-13, 21:47
Dude

Sorry to hear about your loss. Luckily it was just stuff.

I find that when a ton of bad crap happens, it usually means something big is around the corner -- hopefully something positive...

And just remember, someone always has it worse than you:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=711&sid=24726509&title=extremely-rare-lamborghini-miura-burns-on-london-street

---

El Pistolero
04-09-13, 22:12
Dude

Sorry to hear about your loss. Luckily it was just stuff.

I find that when a ton of bad crap happens, it usually means something big is around the corner -- hopefully something positive...

And just remember, someone always has it worse than you:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=711&sid=24726509&title=extremely-rare-lamborghini-miura-burns-on-london-street

---

Ouch on that Lambo. That's not gonna buff out!

kwelz
04-17-13, 09:59
Hey guys. I just thought I would give you all an update. Insurance company finally got back to me on the car. They were able to determine the cause.

From what they can tell power sterring flood leaked and ignited. This small fire spread through the engine compartment and turned into what we see in the photos. Sounds like they are going to treat me pretty good on the value as well.

So that is the good news.

Bad news time..

Still waiting on items that were in the car. Can't replace them till insurance gets me a check.

Worse news time.

I found out my P30 WASN'T in the car. I had forgotten I put it in the safe. Why is this worse news you ask? Because I had put my 2011 in the car instead. So yeah. Once again I am sure they will take care of me but it just sucks..

Thanks again for all the well wishes. The people on this board are really a cut above. We may disagree on some things here in GD. But when the chips are down I feel that even those of us who disagree the strongest would go to bat for one another.

montanadave
04-17-13, 10:26
Good to hear you're gonna get healed up for most, if not all, of the damages.

gunrunner505
04-17-13, 10:32
As long as you got out safe brother. Just an excuse to go to the gun store now.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

chadbag
04-17-13, 13:26
I have a question on the technicalities of insurance in an issue like this.

Kwelz said that the front of the house by/above the garage was damaged and would need replacing.

WHat covers this? The auto insurance for property damage liability or your homeowners insurance?

Since the damage to the house was by a "third party", meaning, the car, even if owned by you, would a deductible apply to the house damage? Ie, if my car damages someone's house or car, they get made whole 100% by my insurance. In this case, the car damaged my own house, but due to a problem with the car, not my driving, [which probably does not matter] and the house is a different insurance if covered by my homeowners insurance.

--

SeriousStudent
04-17-13, 20:09
I'm glad to hear you were treated decently on the car insurance. I hope the pistol replacement goes well, when you decide to replace the 2011.

kwelz
04-17-13, 20:22
I have a question on the technicalities of insurance in an issue like this.

Kwelz said that the front of the house by/above the garage was damaged and would need replacing.

WHat covers this? The auto insurance for property damage liability or your homeowners insurance?

Since the damage to the house was by a "third party", meaning, the car, even if owned by you, would a deductible apply to the house damage? Ie, if my car damages someone's house or car, they get made whole 100% by my insurance. In this case, the car damaged my own house, but due to a problem with the car, not my driving, [which probably does not matter] and the house is a different insurance if covered by my homeowners insurance.

--

In my case it was two different claims. The car claim was under my comprehensive coverage which has no deductible. However the house claim was a standard claim so I had my standard deductible which in my case was $1000. So far they have paid for the damage to the house. And I will have a check for the car tomorrow. I am only waiting on payment for the personal property in the car at this point. The problem is that I don't have receipts for everything. So I am trying to find photos, etc.