PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MS4...how does it adjust?

WS6
04-09-13, 03:46
I'm doing something wrong. I have to be. I can loosen it by pulling the "loop" down, but I literally think I would bend the handguard if I were strong enough trying to tighten it while wearing it. Is it meant to be set and forget? Because I can't use it like that. I have to loosen it to go to 2-point, and tighten it for best performance as a single-point. Do I need to pull on the loop at some funky "just right" angle, or what?

When I take the rifle off, I can adjust it fine, it's just the angle I wear it at, you would bend the handgaurd before it moved it seems. I set the muzzle on my floor to pin the rifle and pulled like a mofo and it wouldn't slide. I have to be doing this wrong some stupid how.

I am a total noob to slings. I used to just run a single-point because it kicks ass (I set it up and don't dick with it. When I need the gun it's there, when I don't it's hanging or bouncing against my leg like a happy puppy as I run. So effortless.)and requires zero thought. Climbing is a pain with it, though, so I am trying 2-point.

MrCleanOK
04-09-13, 12:45
I don't have any hands on experience with the Magpul MS3 or MS4, but when I read your thread I got curious and went looking for pictures. I have read a few product descriptions that claim easy one-handed adjustment, but I just can't visualise it based on the hardware on the sling.

I prefer 2-point slings, and have used VCAS quick-adjust slings on two deployments. They're a truly one-handed, adjustable 2-point sling that doesn't leave a tail hanging. As far as I'm concerned, they're the gold standard for modern rifles slings.

mrvco
04-09-13, 12:51
There is a demo video from the 2009 Shot Show linked on the Magpul site for the MS3... they certainly make it look easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcYsl1XrsNc&feature=related

Who has the MS4 in stock?

Burls
04-09-13, 12:58
Who has the MS4 in stock?

DSG Arms has them in stock.

OP, My Ms3 with snap hook and ms3 with qd took a little getting used to and some break in time.

Voodoo_Man
04-09-13, 13:15
Not much help right now

...but, I just got an MS4 in and I will be playing with it for the next few days/weeks so I'll post up some pix and maybe a video.

WS6
04-09-13, 13:17
Maybe it's usage error on my part. I'm trying to disconnect from single point, connect to the rail qd, and then loosen the sling, and it's binding hard. Nothing is tangled, just angles on the slider I think.

jaxman7
04-09-13, 13:30
WS6. If I may suggest. Buy a VTAC padded sling and place the MS4 hardware on the VTAC. I've had an MS2 and played with a couple of MS3s and have ran into this problem.

The VTAC is much more comfortable (padded) and is much much easier to let out or take up slack while transitioning from single to two point or 2-1.

-Jax

WS6
04-09-13, 13:45
WS6. If I may suggest. Buy a VTAC padded sling and place the MS4 hardware on the VTAC. I've had an MS2 and played with a couple of MS3s and have ran into this problem.

The VTAC is much more comfortable (padded) and is much much easier to let out or take up slack while transitioning from single to two point or 2-1.

-Jax

This?
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Viking-Tactics-Sling-MK2-VTAC-p/viking%20mk2%20sling%20black.htm

Yeah...it looks stoopid easy compared to the MS4 I am fighting with right now.
Should be able to transfer the hardware pretty easy, at least, it looks like it to me? I mean, no cutting/burning/sewing?

Voodoo_Man
04-09-13, 14:03
Why spend the extra cash?

Also depending on your preference you may not like the vtac sling.

They do not work for me so I stay away from them.

jaxman7
04-09-13, 14:26
This?
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Viking-Tactics-Sling-MK2-VTAC-p/viking%20mk2%20sling%20black.htm

Yeah...it looks stoopid easy compared to the MS4 I am fighting with right now.
Should be able to transfer the hardware pretty easy, at least, it looks like it to me? I mean, no cutting/burning/sewing?

I tried to like the MS series and I really do like the hardware. Yet the sling itself needs some padding if going to be worn all day and the adjustment can be a pain. This setup works well for me. YMMV.

Not sure if I have the MK2 or the original that you linked to WS6 but here is my setup w/MS2 hardware:

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/IMG_20130409_141519_043_zpsaa5cf92c.jpg

-Jax

jaxman7
04-09-13, 14:31
Why spend the extra cash?

Also depending on your preference you may not like the vtac sling.

They do not work for me so I stay away from them.

Understand what your saying man but the VTAC does work for me. That's why I said it was a suggestion. Not this is the way to go. To get a sling that works perfect for yourself is an important piece of kit. Worth the extra dollars to me to experiment and see what works best.

-Jax

Voodoo_Man
04-09-13, 14:41
Understand what your saying man but the VTAC does work for me. That's why I said it was a suggestion. Not this is the way to go. To get a sling that works perfect for yourself is an important piece of kit. Worth the extra dollars to me to experiment and see what works best.

-Jax

I was not pointing out your statement as fact, just giving opinions and options for the OP.

I just threw the MS4 on my SR15 and its a little rough, I can see why the OP is having issues with it.

I also have an MS3 that I had to break in, after that it worked fine, I imagine the MS4 would function very similarly.

Samson1
04-09-13, 21:42
the ms3 i used to have took a little while to break in. in fact, i sat watching tv for about an hour working the adjuster as someone suggested this as a good way to wear it in before i installed it on the rifle. after install it was still a little tight, but it was bearable to deal with and loosened up with time.

Torsus
04-09-13, 22:09
I also have an MS3 sling that I purchased recently just to try out, and I have the exact same problem. I was quite disappointed. I'll try to "break it in" as suggested, but I believe it shouldn't need to be broken in to work properly.

Now my first sling that I bought, use exclusively and absolutely love is the QUAD Sling from a small company called Savvy Sniper: http://savvysniper.com/. They are a small family owned company located in Ohio. The QUAD Sling may be what you are looking for, maybe not.

The single hand adjustment on the QUAD sling is effortless. It really does only take a pull with your finger and it adjusts. If you watch the YouTube video on the QUAD sling page, you'll see how effortless it is to adjust.

Good luck.

WS6
04-09-13, 22:54
Well, at least I don't feel like a cock in a candy bowl. I'm going to swap my Magpul hardware onto a VTAC sling. Disappointing to say the least, but I should end up with a GREAT sling for what I want.

1H11
04-10-13, 03:42

-Jax

Well said Jaxman7. Or consider the VCAS two point and problem solved. Plus you save your balls the pain and suffering of a single point.

hunt_ak
04-10-13, 08:19
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/IMG_20130409_141519_043_zpsaa5cf92c.jpg

-Jax
Great end user modification to solve a problem...well done..

MrSmitty
04-10-13, 11:38

-Jax

Yeah, thanks for posting this pic. I'm getting tired or my MS3 destroying my neck but I do like the hardware. I never thought of swapping the hardware onto a VTAC, guess I know what my next purchase will be!

Brahmzy
04-11-13, 12:51
Jax, UDAMAN. I was fighting this MS4 for a week. Getting pissed at my $60 purchase. Just ordered an MK2 to do what you suggested.
I cannot say how much I've spent on freaking slings over the years, but it's been a lot.
None of which, so far, have been "the perfect sling" for me. Hopefully this is a few steps closer.

I'll report back.

jaxman7
04-11-13, 14:18
Appreciate the comments fellas! And it does work quite well. Honestly though wasn't my idea. Someone else around here tried it out first & got me curious about the set up. :)

-Jax

WS6
04-11-13, 18:08
My MK2 is on the way from Bravo, as well. I have always just run single-point slings because of nonsense like this, and they work great for most things a civvi is doing (I'm not often climbing, and when running, they don't bother me, I throw them to my left and don't care if it bruises my leg). Anyway, Hoping my MS2 VTAC Hybrid will come through for me and convert me to 2-point slingdom!

Should I run the 2nd point to the QD swivel near the receiver, or the muzzle? Does it matter?